• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Isuzu 4BD2T diesel swap into Suburban

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Ive been gathering parts and now its time to dive in. I'll be installing an Isuzu 4bd2t 4cyl into my 1994 Suburban.
I removed the 6.5 diesel today.
Im hopeing to have better performance than the 6.5 and get close to 30mpg.
The 4bd2's are sourced from the Isuzu NPR trucks and the Chevy W4000.
Also available is a 6bd1 cyl. They are mechanicaly injected.
I'll be using the 4L80E trans with a OptiShift controller.

More pictures as they come.

4bd2t removal
4bd2t engine swap 004.jpg4bd2t engine swap 006.jpg

Yea, but the little one has a big heart. It should be capable of 300hp easily and still up around 30mpg.
I know a guy with a 4bd1 that is putting 500hp and 850#s of tq to the ground and the long block is stock!!
Im getting ready to go work on it some more today.

Good luck with this swap Leroy! I'll definitly be following this thread. Can't wait to see more pictures and following your progress.

Got alittle done. Had to remove the bushing on the end of the crank. The autos have them, but with use of the engine adaptor it has to go. It was a PITA to.

DSCN2955.JPG
I tried using a slide hammer, but that did not even budge it.
DSCN2958.JPG
Finally had to cut the bushing almost flush with the crank. Then I cut a slit in it to a point just before the saw could contact the crank. This weakend the bushing enough that the slide hammer could pull it. Its the two round parts laying on the plywood.
DSCN2960.JPG
Next I cleaned up the crank bore with some emery cloth and taped a bearing into the spot where the old bushing was. The hub adapter centers on the crank.
DSCN2962.JPG
Isuzu flywheel gets bolted back on and the hub adapter bolts to the flywheel and rides in the bearing in the picture above.
DSCN2963.JPG
The 4L80E flex plate will bolt to the hub adaptor. This pic shows the Bell housing adapter. It converts the Isuzu pattern to a Chevy Bell housing.

DSCN2964.JPG

Thats all I got done today.

Few more pictures

4L80E Flex plate bolted on.
DSCN2965.JPG
Engine to trans line up dowel pins in adaptor.
DSCN2967.JPG
Getting ready for first fitment.
DSCN2968.JPG
DSCN2969.JPG
Engine fits in the hole, but will need modifications to set down far enough.
DSCN2970.JPG
Comp will have to be relocated.
DSCN2971.JPG
The oil pan has this extra volume that will have to be removed OR I would like to find a 4bd1 oil pan as they did not have the extra volume.
Anyone have a 4bd1 oil pan for sale?
DSCN2972.JPG

Im also going to move the trans back a few inches so the engine sits further back behind the front axle line. It will also sit lower. One problem I have now is I will have to buy/build a drive shaft as the Burban is a composite material.

I've never seen anything but a steel driveshaft in all of teh BURBS of this generation myself, so composite is a new one on me. At least it's a 2WD so you can move the trans back and not have to deal with the torsion bar crossmember.

Also available is a 6bd1 cyl. They are mechanicaly injected.

I'll be watching with great interest also.
Just for clarification, is it the 6bd that is mechanically injected or both the 4bd and 6bd? Also approx costs on the adapters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a couple of the drive shaft. Definatly a composite shaft with aluminium ends.
It wieghs maybe 7-8 pounds.

DSCN2976.JPG
DSCN2975.JPG

Leroy, i think it just might be coated. have you tried scraping any part of it to see any fiber? what does it sound like when you tap on it with a hammer?

I'll look again tomorrow. I did tap on it, it is not metalic sounding. Looks like carbon fiber.

Back