• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally! GMT800 style towing mirrors on GMT400.

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Finally! After years or people asking, and numerous people installing GMT800 mirrors that didn't correctly fit GMT400 trucks. Well, as some of you know, some ebay sellers started selling mirrors that apparently fit. After much debate, research, etc, I determined that the bases must be correct, and pulled the trigger on a set.

I bought the power, heated and side signal version for my truck. The goal was to put these mirrors on because the towing mirrors I currently have kinda suck. They don't extend out far enough to really see around my trailer, and they vibrate like crazy. Also, the horizontal mirror glass isn't as useful as a vertical mirror would be.

Few comparisons. My factory style CIPA towing mirrors VS the GMT800 style.
P1110028.jpg

P1110029.jpg

I also modified the mirror wiring so I can use the side LED as a marker and signal light. I added the signal wires to the 2 empty sockets in the 8-cavity plug that came with the mirrors.
P1110017.jpg

P1110042.jpg

P1110043.jpg

So, pull your door panel off. 95+ guys, you just have to remove the little triangle cover unlike the 88-94 trucks.
P1110025.jpg

And remove the foam block, and 3-10mm nuts.
P1110027.jpg

Bolt the new mirrors up. The actually designed these with a longer top stud, and brace that holds from the inner door structure.
P1110031.jpg

P1110032.jpg

Old mirrors
P1110021.jpg

P1110022.jpg

P1110023.jpg

P1110024.jpg

New mirrors (only one side done)
P1110036.jpg

P1110035.jpg

P1110034.jpg

P1110033.jpg

Last edited:
Few detail shots.
P1110040.jpg

P1110039.jpg

P1110038.jpg

P1110037.jpg

Done!
P1110044.jpg

P1110045.jpg

So, overall they are great. Honestly I can't really tell any quality difference over an OEM GMT800 mirror, they are very solid. The signals IMO look awesome lit up as well. The bases are shaped almost perfectly for the truck, a little off in the front but nothing that is unsightly.

As of now, I have the wiring in the doors and under the kickpanel. I'll be wiring in the mirrors, heat and a power window switch from a first-gen S-series blazer. I still have to build the harness but that is going to completed over the weekend.

Looks darn nice. Had to modify mine to get rid of the up-angle look. They never adjusted for that on my model.

THEFERMANATOR found them above.

Looks darn nice. Had to modify mine to get rid of the up-angle look. They never adjusted for that on my model.
Whats funny is they are level for my bodystyle, and on GMT900 trucks.

Link, and do they fold flat? I MUST have mirrors that fold in some how or another to get it inside my garage to work on it.

EDIT: Are these them?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a3744d9d
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-9...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51967fbc7f
Yup, they fold almost flat if you fold them back, but fold entirely flat if you fold them forward. And yes, those are them.

Whats funny is they are level for my bodystyle, and on GMT900 trucks.

I figure for the GMT800 they based the mounting plate off the manual tow mirrors GM offered which had an up-angle rake to them. For those mirrors it actually looked good IMO with their horizontal shape. The vertical shape of our new mirrors makes them look crooked. They then fixed that little issue for the GMT900, and when they finally got around to making some for the GMT400's they knew to make them level.

Once again I get stuck with the oddball. Still can't disable my auto door locks, even with a Tech II. 2005 is the only year :rolleyes5::mad2:

Yeah, that is what Devin and I figured as well. I kinda like those mirrors as well, but not as much as this style. I'm still surprised they made this style mirror for GMT400 trucks since GM never produced this mirror for them.... Guess there was enough aftermarket demand for them.

As far as the door locks, are you sure it's 05 only? I'm pretty sure Brandon and Devin's truck's are stuck with it too. I know the 03-04 trucks have an easter-egg procedure to disable it, but it doesn't work from 05 and on.

Dave those look great, job well done. :thumbsup:

I just order up a set for Big Blue. It looks like he carry's all kinds of different model mirrors. He's got the dodge style ones up there as well, but the GM towing ones look much better IMHO. Got a few options as well. Like power or no power, and with or without the light bar. Best of all the price is really good on them. A set of full manual mirrors with the LED light bar runs $222.95 including shipping.

Awesome! Those will look great on your truck Jamie. So I take it you got manual mirrors with the LED signal? I actually really like the marker on mine. I was a bit skeptical about it at first. My set was $249.99 shipped for full power/heat/signal.

As far as the door locks, are you sure it's 05 only? I'm pretty sure Brandon and Devin's truck's are stuck with it too. I know the 03-04 trucks have an easter-egg procedure to disable it, but it doesn't work from 05 and on.

'06 and newer you can go to the dealership and get it turned off with a Tech II. '04 and older you can do it yourself. For whatever reason '05 were programmed in such a way that it's not possible. The dealership in Pullman offered to call GM and try to write a new program for my truck to disable the locks. Of course there's a fee for it and he wasn't positive it would even work. I dropped off my truck last year for a few hours and they played around with the Tech II and called GM with my VIN (pays to know certain people, no charge :D ). No luck.

Awesome! Those will look great on your truck Jamie. So I take it you got manual mirrors with the LED signal? I actually really like the marker on mine. I was a bit skeptical about it at first. My set was $249.99 shipped for full power/heat/signal.

I would have gone with power as well, but Big Blue doesn't have power... anything. As I like to put it, "the only thing that's automatic in this truck is the transmission, and even that I want to get rid of!" I can't wait to get back to Jersey and get them set up. I've wanted those elephant ears for the longest time. Now I'm glad I kept putting it off.

Nice work.

I like the internal door brace.

The mirror base fits nicely, at least as good as my modified dodge mirrors.

But, I'm just not a fan of the GMT800 mirrors on the GMT400 body.

Different strokes for different folks I guess....

:)

I got the wiring all buttoned up today.
P1110054.jpg

P1110056.jpg

Modified the S-10 switch to sit properly under my IP cluster.
P1110057.jpg

P1110059.jpg

Harness ran under the dash, working some bugs out.
203145803.jpg

Finished dash.
P1110073.jpg

Few shots of the mirrors with the lights wired in.
P1110063.jpg

P1110064.jpg

P1110066.jpg

P1110067.jpg

P1110068.jpg

P1110069.jpg

P1110070.jpg

P1110071.jpg

P1110072.jpg

Mirrors extended out.
P1110060.jpg

P1110061.jpg