• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally! GMT800 style towing mirrors on GMT400.

Yeah. I forgot to mention 2 things to you when I stopped by. I fixed the headlight switch (notice it's not grey!) and I should have grabbed the sister switch to the mirror one. It's the same style base as this, but it's a rocker for rear defog. I should have grabbed it for the mirror defog, instead of using one of my toggles on the right. Maybe in the future.

Ah, good ol' solder and heat shrink.

Very nice sir, same way I do it.

Do it right or don't do it at all....

;)

If you're using a toggle, I assume there's no timer circuit?

Yup. Another thing I try to do is use as many GM connectors as possible. Only time i use butt connectors for things i consider temporary, which isn't much. I wire in 99% of my stuff in by cutting the OEM wires and soldiering and heat shrinking the new wires in.

Now thats some work that I like to see! Very impressive Dave. Now your making me impatient lol. I need to get my transfer case done and the drive shafts in sooner. This is just depressing.

Yup. Another thing I try to do is use as many GM connectors as possible. Only time i use butt connectors for things i consider temporary, which isn't much. I wire in 99% of my stuff in by cutting the OEM wires and soldiering and heat shrinking the new wires in.

Same deal here.

I like the weather pack connectors in anything that even has a remote possability of moisture, everything else is GM connectors (or at least a connector) to make maintenance and disassembly in the future a painless affair.

I'm always grabbing them from junkyards or finding harnesses on ebay cheap to scavenge connectors from.

Do they make these mirrors in a power extend version for people with power mirrors?

They come in power, but as far as I know they are all manual extending for these ass they are just making a new base to fit the new style mirrors for teh GMT-400 trucks.

For those of us who are wiring challenged, to make the LEDs come on with parking lights you just spliced into the signal wires and ran a wire to the parking light circuit, right? And they still flash in time with the turn signals?

Thanks! They look great and if the tax man is nice to me I'll be ordering a set for my 96.

After multiple people asking how to wire the LEDs in as signal and parking lights, I FINALLY had enough time to draw a wiring diagram. If you can't figure it out from here, there isn't really much else I can do. You'll need 4 diodes for each mirror, and 12v+ from the parking lights and each respective signal 12V+

Basically, whichever circuit is de-energized acts as the ground circuit, if both are energized they have no ground and the light turns off. Both the parking and signal circuit have a floating ground when off, hence how the light can utilize this wiring to function. It's exactly how the front 194 marker light is wired.

ParkingSignalLEDWiring.jpg

Do you already have power mirrors? I'm not sure about a 95, but my 94 doesn't have power and doesn't have the wire loom for power mirrors. I just got a set of mirrors from Option Racing and am in the process of figuring out the wiring. The mirrors do not have the correct connector on them for the 99/earlier rigs that had power mirrors. I found the correct connector ends on a 01 Tahoe. I've gone to a pick-n-pull and got the power mirror wiring and correct armrest switches from a 94/earlier Sub (different from a 95). You don't have to go this route. It was just my choice to go year specific for switches and connectors. I just need to come up with a wire diagram for the mirrors and the 01 Tahoe mirror now.

Don

Back