• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

12/20/09 Seat belts,who uses them?

12/20/09 Seat belts. Do you use them?

• Yes

Votes: 77 72.6%
  • No

Votes: 13 12.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • My truck is so old they did not come with them.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
I admit I'm a wearer. been in a couple of accidents and had to leave to many tire marks on the pavement not to. I hit the same problm with the bumps and the locking up. All I've gotta do is hit a speed bump doing 15 or so.

You bet I do. There are family and friends to consider when you don't wear a seat belt. Besides there are a lot of people that want to meet me. :smile5:

Sometimes for me. But always for my kids.

I vote no, I know, I know if I roll over I am dead yeah yeah yeah I know. I use it on the interstate for long trips but never around town. I dont like the law, its big brother telling me what to do. Im not hurting anyone but myself. If I get in a crash dont revive me or send an ambulance. We should also have a law saying you cant be over weight, you must get a flu shot, and turn your cell phone off when pumping gas.
Everyone has there opinion on this, and that is mine. flame on, but hopefully no one hates me for it as I mean no harm :eek:

You bet I do. There are family and friends to consider when you don't wear a seat belt. Besides there are a lot of people that want to meet me. :smile5:

Thanx for the honesty, and we want Y'all around for longer time. I'm with D-R; I've been in many wrecks, none my fault, and would never have met my wife, or kids, or you guys...if I had not used the belt. Dad was Air Force, and knew the value of keeping the pilot in place during extreme movements, to maintain control. He installed aircraft safety belts in every car and truck we had until the factories put them into all. The law is just catchung up with good sense.

Justin, don't you want to see your kids grow up? You don't want to have somebody else raise them.

Brian, If you strap the kids in but not you, you might crush them in a wreck, and you aren't strong enough to stop a truck. Anybody in the vehicle becomes an unguided missile killing all in their path, if they're not strapped in.

I'd like to meet Y'all and buy the first round. Please strap it on when you get in, after a month, you'll feel unprotected if you don't have it on. :grouphug:

<snip>
Justin, don't you want to see your kids grow up? You don't want to have somebody else raise them.

Brian, If you strap the kids in but not you, you might crush them in a wreck, and you aren't strong enough to stop a truck. Anybody in the vehicle becomes an unguided missile killing all in their path, if they're not strapped in.
<snip>

Just to add to dangerousdave's comments... (a bit ironic having a name like that giving safety advice...):h

The worst thing that would happen is if you ended up alive, paralyzed, either partially or completely and maybe even in vegetative/comatose state for your loved ones to suffer through each day and through each night that you're alive or being kept alive. Sad to say, then, but the best thing that might happen is if you end up dead, but that would leave them behind with what?

So, wear them not just for your sake, but especially for your family's sake.

Been wearing seatbelts since 1972. Back then, if there were seatbelts in the back, they're used or the seats remain empty.

Statistically speaking, your chances of surviving a serious accident with minimized injuries are drastically improved simply by wearing seatbelts properly. In combination with airbags, those chances are increased even more. Your chances of getting ejected after an accident and surviving are extremely low. Your chances of getting ejected if you are wearing seatbelts are even much much lower.

It's all in the numbers. Statistics are on your side if you wear seatbelts, and playing roulette with safety will eventually catch up with you.

Franko

Great thread!

I live in Georgia and like Brian there is a law that exempts pickup trucks from having to wear seat belts. I also agree with Justin and I also have been riding motorcycles for 53 yrs.

I wear mine 99% of the time but, it really galls me that Big Brother has a law that makes it mandatory to wear a seat belt. Now that I have my pickup I gladly wear my seat belt as it is my choice.

I know that it doesn't make sense to some of you but that is OK to disagree.

The traffic statistics in Georgia clearly indicate that in the accidents that cause deaths for drivers of pickups that 30% were not wearing seat belts. Hmmmmm that definitely tells the story that seat belts work.

Always. Started as a CDL back in the 70s - air seat on rough roads will get you tossed out of the seat!! (and THEN who's driving??) It just got to be habit, one that carries on today.

Nobody rides in one of my vehicles without being buckled in - and that's not because of the seatbelt laws, that's my law. I need to stay in the seat control the vehicle, and I don't need to be bodychecked by flying people while I do that.

safety guy

Just to add to dangerousdave's comments... (a bit ironic having a name like that giving safety advice...):h

The worst thing that would happen is if you ended up alive, paralyzed, either partially or completely and maybe even in vegetative/comatose state for your loved ones to suffer through each day and through each night that you're alive or being kept alive. Sad to say, then, but the best thing that might happen is if you end up dead, but that would leave them behind with what?

So, wear them not just for your sake, but especially for your family's sake.
Franko

DETOUR > The irony is deeper... I was the OSHA guy, for a construction erosion control company, when the accident that crushed my throat happened. Since I had a CDL, they would ask me to help out with material deliveries and such, on occaision. It was an industrial accident, not while driving. (mechanical failure)
The nickname was stuck on me by an Army Ranger freind. He was the only one that noticed that I was CCW on duty, non-issue weapon. That stuff's fodder for another thread. :hijacked:

Back on track, I would do spot checks on our crews in the field; when I saw them on the road unbuckled, they would loose a day of work w/o pay as a first warning, second offense was 2 weeks off no pay, then firing.

Motorcycles are great fun; I rode them for years, mostly for racing. They are a huge gamble; there's no protection from the idiots on cell phones, texting, watching videos on the drop down screens, putting on make-up, (insert your favorite distraction here___). Too many people take safety for granted. Some actually trust Big Brother to protect them from themselves. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I always wear mine. Its automatic for me really. I actually have to tell myself not to if I'm only just moving the truck a few feet or so.

Same for my passengers. They HAVE to wear a seat belt, otherwise I won't move. I lost a good friend to a car accident cause she wasn't wearing a seat belt. She went straight through the windshield

Always wear mine, have a collar bone broken twice from the 2 different wrecks I was in that would have been fatal had I not been wearing my seatbelt.

Always wore them even before the law of the land, which I'm not into big brother thing, but if I was an insurer and your injuries were more severe asresult of you not wearing one, I'd think twice about paying the claim, or if you wanted to pay an extra premium for non wearing of seatbelts, then don't wear them.

But for kids mandantory IMO, they aren't smart enough to make that call on what I consider a higher risk event. So minors must wear belts IMO.

I did some more research and Georgia was the last state to exempt Pickups from having to wear seat belts but no more. It seems that the state was loosing $20M in Fed funds by not complying with Federal mandates and there was an additional $20M in additional medical expenses for pickup accidents and it just got to expensive. So, the state changed the law and got a net gain of $40M or there abouts.

I do and I dont.
On interstate roadtrips, and any daytime trips on any road, most definitely. On two lane roads at night, most often the answer is no.
The reason being is that we have had too many locals impaled and killed by deer coming up and over the hood and through the passenger compartment. I and many other locals do not wear them for the fact that there is a chance that we may think quick enough and duck down onto the seat, possibly allowing the deer to go over us.
If i had a big ol high riding F250 FX4, maybe i would buckle in, knowing the chance of the deer coming over the hood is drastically reduced, but for my low slung 2wd half ton, I fear a deer would come up and over.

So other than night time 2-lane driving, I always buckle in.

Nope, I don't. I'm well aware of that feature since I have two kids still in carseats. The vibrations caused by washboards and potholes on these mountain roads makes the seatbelt think it needs to lock up. It's really bad when going downhill. To "unlock" it I lean back into my seat to release the tension. Problem is then it re-locks when you hit the next bump so then I have to lean back further. Doesn't take too much and I've pushed myself so far into the seat I can't move.

All this typically is happening around 10 mph. Any faster and I'd probably knock a tire off.
Wow! That's interesting. I have never experienced that, but I'm sure I don't drive on washboard roads anywhere near as much as you have to.

Older vehicles had a comfort feature that allowed you to correctly position the belt and then pull out slightly to release the constant tension. This would have eliminated your problem. But several years ago the Feds, in their "infinite wisdom" :rolleyes5: decided that some people would pull the belt out too far and defeat their usefulness, so they passed a law that you could not have such comfort feature in the new vehicles. So now they have forced people like yourself to defeat the seatbelt completely, or risk and accident from being pinned against the seat. That's great progress; "Big Brother" is looking out for us . . . . NOT ! ! ! :mad2:

depend what im driving

my malibu... yep... need it to keep my ass in the seat so i can conrtol the vehicle

dmax 90% of the time

my 75k20 10-20% of the time

all the time, don't like the thought of being tossed about or tossed out of my truck if something bad happens. Brian is right, don't have too in GA but I do.

Back