• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to site 425 Hp from a 6.5

I think mostly for heat, but also for sound as well. Some boats have straight pipes but can also have watercooled exhaust manifolds as well but those are mostly performance and ALOT louder. take for example an outboard. there are usually 2 spots where the exhaust comes out. a port on the upper part of the lower unit,as well as thru the prop. when trimmed down it wont make much noise - trim it up (making sure water intake is still submerged so it doesnt run dry) and you will really hear the exhaust
in other news, id love to hear about this 425HP 6.5. sorry for the hijack buddy!

I mentioned it because I don't know what configuration Peninsular's marine engines typically are installed in? Probably is thru the outdrive/wet which I think adds a fair amount of restriction.

A friend of mine has a 28' Checkmate w/ 425hp rat. It has a switchable exhaust so it can be routed thru the outdrive for putting around the docks/ramp where quiet is good, & flip a switch & the exhaust goes thru the transom.

It's still somewhat related to the thread as the boat sidebar was discussing how much exhaust restriction Peninsular's high hp 6.5's installed in a boat see as real world operating conditions.

next time youre out on a boat (inboard OR outboard) look at where the prop is. at low speed/idle not much exhaust will come out of the prop port ( if any ) but give her some juice and you'll start to see a stream of exhaust air come out of the prop ! that oughhta be good for the whales :p

So other than cooling there is nothing that would stop one of Penn's top dog 6.5 from working in a truck. I mean I'm shure there will have to be some smaller things that have to be changed but the only "big" problem would be cooling??

IIRC the pen's are around 18-1 comp and run at or around 3000rpm. The power they gain would be lost in a truck unless you keep the centralized turbo mount.

So other than cooling there is nothing that would stop one of Penn's top dog 6.5 from working in a truck. I mean I'm shure there will have to be some smaller things that have to be changed but the only "big" problem would be cooling??

That's a big enough problem .... They overheat without all the Pen mods in trucks. Lot of money to spend then go cook it..
Never saw thier centralized turbo mount. I'd like to though. Hmmm.....

There is just about 1" that should have to be trimmed at the bottom of the rad support, it might fit in the upper brackets, I forget now. You can only make it 1" wider than stock without having to hack the radiator support pretty good. Any performance radiator shop should be able to do it, they make rads for everything where I went, which is local to me.

I've long advocated the rads in the 6.5 trucks are no where near big enough. They are tiny compared to the ones in the earlier 6.2 trucks and those were NA.

Well annything can be engineered with enough time to do so, especially a radiator. So would that be the only major problem?

Bigger the better for sure. I agree Aces, no matter what all the 'A properly cooled 6.5, blah blah blah' people say. Even if the system is TIp-Top, best it could get... Still only benefits from a larger Radiator.

No chance a 6.2 Radiator would fit? How much larger is it?

Last edited:
Ya the old body style are alot bigger, I replaced one in my friends 6.2 K5 a few months ago.

Can someone measure their 6.2 radiator?

I've got one out in my shed from an older body style(it was in my K5 but it didn't look so healthy). I will say the radiator is quite large, but i'll get exact measurements for you. :)

Back