• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to site 425 Hp from a 6.5

no I am not pushing 425 hp.,close to 300hp..maybe..but it is possible..
not sure anyone here knows about the new optimizer engines regineered
by american genereal but this is a start for the foundation...I had mine
balanced and splayed with 18.to 1 compression....way too much money
to get a foundation to start with. The engine now should be capable of handling 450 hp without throwing a crank.

The optimizer is a result of the re-design of the 6.5L Gm diesel after GEP (General Engine Products) a Division of AM General (Maker of the real hummers) bought all the designs and patents concerning the 6.5L from GM.

It is the best option out there, but it is quite costly, often costing twice as much as the truck it is going in, therefore, everyone wants one, not many have one.

no I am not pushing 425 hp.,close to 300hp..maybe..but it is possible..
not sure anyone here knows about the new optimizer engines regineered
by american genereal but this is a start for the foundation...I had mine
balanced and splayed with 18.to 1 compression....way too much money
to get a foundation to start with. The engine now should be capable of handling 450 hp without throwing a crank.

Building a bottom end won't magically guarantee 450 hp. You do realize how much more of a jump it is from 300 to 450 hp? Its huge and not to be taken lightly.

Isn't Heath the only one to really make any serious power and what did he get out of it?

you are all quite right....all I am saying here is that even to put 300 hp
into a stock gm 6.5 is asking for trouble ...these engines were poorly designed and machined from the get go. the 6.5 is plagued with many issues and sometimes takes a lot of money too work them out...there not like a simple 350 gasser easily to build for more hp. but start pushing 425 hp
takes a bit more for sure.But to even get there you need to modify that
block to make it sustainable..not necessarily a new optimozer but a block that will take the hp...I do not have any experience with these blocks or have heard much of any feedback about these engines..I know there is a guy in california revamps them right out of crate for more hp and resells
them for 10,000 and does not make money even at that. Did not sound like even these engines were machined that good other than the design changes.
do not take my word on this though,,never had any experience on these,
my experience with the stock 6.5 is some are good and some not so good.
You must start with a strong block to begin with or all your work and money will be short-lived.

I have checked them out extensively ,depending on if you get the one with steel
crank...and where they are machined,,,casted at the navistar plant along side of the cummmings..or done someotherplace...most of the time you can get shipped to your door without core charge for under 6000 ...i imagine the price might go down in the years too come.

The P400's all have forged crankshafts, stronger connecting rods with a different design, and pistons are cast and are designed to clear the new one piece main cap. The oil pan will not fit in a pickup truck chassis, it has to be cut and modified to fit. You can only order the complete engine, or a long block version. You cannot get parts for them, such as replacement camshaft or anything. I talked on the phone with Peninsular Diesel about them for a while. They have been trying to get parts from GEP for 5 months now, and I tried for 3 months, and Cody was calling and E-mailing them at the same time with me. GEP will not budge on making parts available, so I just gave up on them. Peninsular is still working on them trying to get parts from them as far as I know though.

Last edited:
I am not sure who they are as of now...talked to them thruogh thier E-bay
sales... i know that they are outof canada

I only have ever seen the "updated and improved" engines on Ebay (or anywhere else) I talked with all of them before and they have absolutely ZERO proof of how their blocks or engines are improved. They didn't even know what the P400 engine was :lol:

hmmm...sounds strange..thier pretty common now...just seen some not that long ago...i say keep looking...must be other sources

Are you guys talking about the the Optimizer, or the P400 blocks?

Well there you go making me look dumb! :D):h

I had no idea there was more than one better block, i thought there was the GEP motor, and that was it. Obviously not so, and I thank you for clearing it up!:thumbsup:

So where do you get each one, and roughly how much?

Interesting... It seems another place other than GEP is selling the P400 block now. Just Google "P400 6.5 diesel" Should be the 5th result. Price tag is $8300, on sale for $6900. No pictures there, but from the description, it sounds like the real deal. Maybe they looked into them since I mentioned them on the phone :rolleyes:

e-bay has them cheaper...can someone clear the air here to exactly what is the difference betwwen the two blocks?

Back