• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WTF look at this number

trapp2012

Banned
Reaction score
Why in the H E double Hockey sticks is my dually only rated for 7500 lbs. Its a 6.5 liter K3500 LS dually. It's a DUALLY seriously. DUALLY not single DUALLY YOU NOW THE BEASTS OF THE ROAD.
Well I have a fikin' tow behind camper that I go shooting in over the summer and loaded with shotgun shells,clothes,and other stuffs weighs well about 11,000 lbs. Can I pull this with my truck or not. Good Idea or Bad. Should I buy new parts or what. I really need to know how I can mod this truck to MAKE it tow that. MAKE IT.

well.. youre opening up a can of worms with this one.. but

suspension
braking
steering
axle
and final price

all these play a role on making your truck legal and safe to haul that load

but.. as a towable, it falls under your combined gvw, your GVW is what your truck is designed to carry as equiped.. but CGVW is your truck, plus trailer total weight,

as i posted in your other post, my GVW is 10k as placarded on the truck, but my CGVW is 25,500, given the trailer im pulling has breaks on all axles and "is affixed to tow vehicle forward of rear axle", meaning it has to be a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer, thats just under CDL requirement in my state,

so ghost I could is what your saying. I really want to know if its safe for the truck to without KILLING it

Trailer:
Is it a bumper hitch or a fifth wheel?
Does it have at least 2 axles?
Does it have brakes on both axles?
Truck:
First, you need exhaust and cooling mods
Then gauges.
Then a performance reflash.
Time to change your injectors, too.
Cooling system: have you ever cleaned your rad? How about the fan clutch? Changed your thermostats?

Bottom line: Yes, your truck will pull this, no problem.

No, it won't pull it no problem if you leave it stock. You will want to mod it if there are any hills in your future.

so ghost I could is what your saying. I really want to know if its safe for the truck to without KILLING it

anyone can do anything, your truck will handle anything atleast once..

ive overloaded my truck a couple times.. if ide do it again?.. no.. wasnt worth the aggravation when i had fried the rear brakes and cylinders ($360)

not to mention added stresses to the truck itself.. as a truck in whole.. i mean all of it.. will it do it, yes, but how many times is depending on how YOU drive it.. i baby mine when im loaded, i.e... i let it slow down going uphills..

another main issue worth considering.. is legality to your load, being legal, indicates safety as well... i dont mean to kill it for you man, but if you get pulled over with that much weight, and aren't carded for it, youre going to get slammed.. carded meaning, DOT paperwork saying youre truck passed inspection and is equiped to stop, turn, and maintain that weight during normal everyday driving... now as a privetly owned vehicle, youre chances are somewhat less than a commercial truck getting pulled, but its there none the less.. 78 and 80, west and east bound are a motha !!!

just recently, past few days, someone posted pulling a 20k pounds trailer with a SRW, 3500 series, so like i said.. anything can be pulled by anything..

if youre trailer doesnt have brakes on both axles, weak brakes, or single axle brakes, youre going to overheat your trucks brakes and kill'em real quick, if its a bumper pull? youll be stressing the rear most part of the frame more so than if it was a bed mounted assembly, youre rear suspension needs to be updated, helpers or airbags will do fine.. main intentions are a level ride hieght when pulling, with that much weight on a bumper pull, youre truck will be driving wheelie style, which means ALOT less traction for the front tires to stop the truck.. so in a quick, or worse yet, panic stop, youre ABS will throw the brake pedal back at you cause youre front tires are sliding

so.. bottom line like jifaire said.. yes, it will , even stock.. but plan on wrenching

Last edited:
well.. youre opening up a can of worms with this one.. but

suspension
braking
steering
axle
and final price

all these play a role on making your truck legal and safe to haul that load

but.. as a towable, it falls under your combined gvw, your GVW is what your truck is designed to carry as equiped.. but CGVW is your truck, plus trailer total weight,

as i posted in your other post, my GVW is 10k as placarded on the truck, but my CGVW is 25,500, given the trailer im pulling has breaks on all axles and "is affixed to tow vehicle forward of rear axle", meaning it has to be a fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer, thats just under CDL requirement in my state,

Where did your figure on Combined gross vehicle weight come from? Thanks, Dave

The best news is, with a Dually I would have to assume most DOT cops would assume you are good, unless you're pulling something stupidly huge.

Major recommended mods for pulling, listen to TD and Jifarie (LOL, Mispelled but gonna leave it LOL). They've been there and done that.

Exhaust, GAUGES, (EGT/Boost (tranny can't hurt)). Reflash.

That 20k load was Slim with his new A-Team Turbo (Also an awesome mod for lower temps/increased towing).

Your truck weighs say 7-8k, plus a 10k load. that is heavy. But nothing compared to what others have pulled with a well modded 6.5. Not even dually. (Which sometimes hurts you because you weight more to begin with)... BUT you handle the weight alot more than SRW.

The best news is, with a Dually I would have to assume most DOT cops would assume you are good, unless you're pulling something stupidly huge.

Major recommended mods for pulling, listen to TD and Jifarie (LOL, Mispelled but gonna leave it LOL). They've been there and done that.

Exhaust, GAUGES, (EGT/Boost (tranny can't hurt)). Reflash.

That 20k load was Slim with his new A-Team Turbo (Also an awesome mod for lower temps/increased towing).

Your truck weighs say 7-8k, plus a 10k load. that is heavy. But nothing compared to what others have pulled with a well modded 6.5. Not even dually. (Which sometimes hurts you because you weight more to begin with)... BUT you handle the weight alot more than SRW.

We also planned for the trip and took into account where we were going traffic and all of the other safety related items. The tow was well planned and went off without a problem. The truck ran strong and averaged 11 MPG for the overall trip of 1,000 miles, most all of it with the goose neck trailer attached and loaded. I sure like goose neck trailers now.

There are better and cheaper exhaust systems out there than the banks on your wish list.I had very bad customer service with banks.
Radiator must be squeeky clean,fan clutch working properly. You may want to install a duramax fan for better cooling.
All brakes must be in top shape.Slotted rotors and premium pads make a big difference.
Load range E tires. They handle the weight and control sway much better than d's.
Sway bar end links and bushings should all be tight.
Gauges are a must and should be on the top of the list. Heavy towing raises egt. You need to know when to get off the throttle or it can self-distruct.The heath reflash is supposed to lower egt.

Which sticker are you getting the 7500 from? IIRC my 2500 SUBURBAN is rated to tow roughly 7500 pounds. Are you reading the GVWR sticker for improved comfort with reduced tire pressure?

mods will make it love the load. My 2500HD is rated for 8600lbs, not sure the combined, but it pulled an 8000lb trailer without too many problems stock... except for mountains, then it stuggled a bit. Now I can cruise at 65-70 with the same trailer in the mountains.

Which sticker are you getting the 7500 from? IIRC my 2500 SUBURBAN is rated to tow roughly 7500 pounds. Are you reading the GVWR sticker for improved comfort with reduced tire pressure?

thats a good point, didnt think of that.... my hitch is rated for 10000 with load distribution, gvwr is 8600

With a dually your platform & frame are much sturdier than my K1500, power wise and braking I outdo stock 6.5 dually, and knocking on the door hard of what a stock Dmax dually can do, I suspect I outpower a early Dmax.

All about moderation (you have to be aware of the load you are hooked up to) and truck set up, if I were pulling big & often I would have a dually, as I infrequently pull big I beefed up everything I possibly could, power, brakes, suspension, wheels, and have a tandem axle dual wheel dual brake trailer that can stop 9 tons by itself, though I only have had it loaded to 6 tons, for GCVW 23,900# (before adding the Buckstop) which puts me to over 24K# I'm guessing.

Get the dually and "you'll get by with a little help from your friends" aka DTR 6.5 mafia and skoff at 11K with a huge grin as you pass the doubtful that think the 6.5 is junk.

Last edited:
So................ what mods should I definitely get before this summer.I am getting an CAI in the next two weeks then an exhaust and then EGT trany and boost gauges sometime. And what else should I get.

I wouldn't waste the money on a CAI. You're factory intake is actually a pretty decent design, you may need to hog out the snorkel inside the fender if you have one, but most the CAI kits I've seen just feed hot air from under the hood. The factory setup actually gets fresh air from in front of the truck. Some guys here have made their own functional CAIs, check around before you buy a pre-made one.

I have the Banks Stinger, it's only 3 inch with 3.5 inch after muffler, and the big RV muffler was way too quiet. All you could hear out of it was a rush of air at the tailpipe, I mean it was virtually silent. At least until the muffler rotted out last year and I put in a piece of straight pipe. Then it sounded awesome. The rest of mine just rotted out within the last couple months, I just got a true 4 inch Diamondeye for $300, waiting for some good weather to install it. Skip the Banks, too much money. Check ebay for exhaust, and JCW or Summit for gauges.

Can't complain too much about the rot, I think I got five years out of the Banks system. And it's on a plowtruck, so it gets beat and salty and put away wet all the time. It's wierd, I've put exhaust on most of the vehicles I've ever owned, but this is the first one I owned long enough to do twice.

I pull an 11k travel trailer, no WD hitch. I have no real mods other than exhaust and turbomaster. My computer is still stock, but I too want a Heath someday. My truck tows the 11k real strong except on the big hills, then it falls on it's face, especially since I bumped up the tire size. The exhaust is the first thing you need to do, you won't believe the difference. That factory downpipe and soot trap are choking the life out of your engine.

Back