• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wrong section, maybe?

Canadian Rigger

Recruit
Reaction score
Intermitent wiper problem, 96 GMC.

I've had wiper problems before but never experienced this.

Turning on the wipers they'll work but sometimes they won't shut off and just continue to go untill they decide thats enough or they won't start unless i put them on high, they'll sometimes stop in the middle of the window too rather then park when done their cycle too. Washers only work when they want to also, wipers may work normal but no washer?
When using just the mist fuction they are suppose to cycle 3 times, they may do it 10 times or more and then stop who know's where, other times they'll act as normal.

Replacing the board on other trucks usually solves the on/off problems but what about the washer?

Sounds like your multi function control switch (Directional, wiper, cruise) is on it's way out........Expensive item from dealer, I paid 2 hundred and change for one last year.
Try to find one in the junk yard, but my experience is they do not like to break up the column.

The board also controls the washer function. Have you checked for open recalls? GM recalled the earlier trucks to replace the wiper board on the 95's and IIRC the 96's. I know my uncles truck started doing what you describe and then the washer quit and then it all went. Replaced the board and worked like new again.

Guess i change the board and see what happens, didnt' think the washers were affected by it but wasn't sure. Thanks.

The washers on my Suburban stop squirting when the wiper blades come to the full down position. Then they start squirting again when the blade starts to go up the window again. Pretty cool actually. So wiping and washing must be interlocked somehow. At least on a '99...

hey rigger check the terminals on the board for cracks in the solder, i have fixed many a circut board on these trucks by resoldering the terminals and they work like new and its free!!!

I made a post on this on the other site, with pictures and all. Those stupid boards are a GM product pain in the (fill in word here). If you need any assistance on replacing the board please ask I will help. They are a bulletine or free replacement(can not remember what it is called) on some Gm vehicles.
If someone knows what I am talking about please help me out, my brain is fryed from work tonight.
Thanks,

Back