• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Working on the 93......

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
gonna start this with intention toward info regarding my black exterior, gray interior, 1993, 4 door, 1 ton, long bed, 6.5 TD....
it's been sitting 4 years plus because i had a TDI Jetta to drive. i was getting over 50 mpg while driving 600 miles/week. couldn't afford to drive the truck, so it sat.
got it running after bypassing the fuel shut off solenoid. have a thread on it somewhere.
after getting it all back together i cranked it, fired right up, but then died. Fuel starvation.
connected the temporary LP to the fuel line and nothing, just vacuum. knew right away what it needed.
dropped the tank and this what it looked like:

i think it'll clean up nice.
have plans to run a 40-50 gallon tank in the bed so not going to get a new saddle tank. future plan is converting to a short bed.
all i got for now....

LOL!
there is a place down the freeway that sells used school buses. i'm gonna stop by Monday to see if there's a tank for sale.

have this for 195.00
00I0I_6R0Gjs6RULq_600x450.jpg

this for 200.00
00g0g_fzvtf6k6G1r_600x450.jpg

or one of these for 25.00 each
00A0A_7Tm1kvkBFSv_600x450.jpg

01414_hSiQ4wH7icI_1200x900.jpg

think i could make one of these work. a little cutting/welding......

Have you looked at the L shaped ones that fit with a crossover tool box? I think they are around 100 gal. Some states have strict DOT regs about an in the bed tank. I believe Texas is one

i've looked at them but at 500.00 plus i'll have to pass. mine will be stealth so as to not stand out.
i will have more info tomorrow. i want to run the OEM fuel gauge also.

Yeah, look into the regs. Most states, over 119 or so gallons, you have to have a placard and stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Then you may cut it down in size to avoid any hassle.
I'm not sure, but I don't think they care if you only have ten gallons in a 119 gal tank. It's still "hazmat" or whatever in their eyes. But like I said, not sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yeah, Nv says it can not be connected to the truck as useable fuel, if it is in the bed it is considered a transfer tank only.

there is a lot of confusion in regards to an auxiliary and a transfer tank and it stems from being diesel vs gas. while a siphon tank is not legal technically, it is if equipped with a shut off valve.
here's some info from Transfer Flow:
FUEL TANK REGULATIONS
https://www.transferflow.com/regulations
i feel confident that i can run with 60 gallons and not have any trouble.
i ran with a 100 gallon tank for 4 years and never had a problem. i would even fill it with off road diesel and LP it into the saddle tank.

picked up a tank today. it's only 30 gallons but will do for now.
came with 18 gallons of diesel.

siphoned for later:

manual fuel gauge on side of it:

got the trans pan today. going to NAPA for rubber fuel lines tomorrow.

Those are some good photos of the tank lining coming off.

What are you using to kill the remaining bugs? Gasoline?

Sadly this krap grows everywhere in the system and rusted my IP badly. It didn't live long after cleaning the system.

Leroy's fuel level sensor would survive this and has for me.

Hey now, thats an actual vehicle fuel tank. I don't think anyone can say "boo" about it. Even has the certification tag on it still.
Whats that?!?- a mechanical fuel gauge!!! I though those were not allowed by manufacturers' because they work for ever.

nice find

............What are you using to kill the remaining bugs? Gasoline?

i will be running marine diesel fuel line from the new tank to the IP and for the return. none of the old fuel from the old tank has been run through the new IP either. need to find some algaecide just in case it sits for any more long periods. looks like Advance has some.

bought the fuel line, fittings, clamps and algaecide.
rotated the tank and moved the straps to mount to the bed hopefully tomorrow.

decided to leave it a long bed and mount aother saddle tank once i get it going. i will use the bed tank as an auxiliary tank to give me 65 gallons total.

Back