• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wonder what happen to my Power steering Pump.

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
I drove my Dmax to take the trash to the dumpsters and I had to move my TT yesterday and after everything was completed I lost my power steering and Alternator. I parked the truck and opened up the hood and the belt was off. I have never seen that happen before so I let the motor cool off for a few hours and tried to get the belt on when I discovered that the power steering pulley was sticking farther out (almost 2") from the rest of the pulleys. I don't feel any slop in the pulley and it turns freely. Can someone chime in and inform me what the next step is.....It almost appears that the pulley spins onto the power steering pump but that doesn't make sense to me.

The power steering pulleey presses onto the shaft. Mine was also to far forward and causing belt problems when I got it. I pressed it back on almost 3 years ago and it's been fine since. Autozone rents the tools to remove and press it back on.

I wonder how in the hell can a pulley slide forward on the shaft, That means I will have to pull the pump and fix it and replace it again. Dayum....so much to do and no stinking time to do it. Wished I had some room to swing a hammer in there....Never Mind, I would just hit something else.

Wished I had some room to swing a hammer in there....Never Mind, I would just hit something else.
Never, Ever mess with a PS pulley without the proper tools or you will ruin everything in the pump and the pulley in the bargain. Don't ask how I know this but if you were closer you sure could borrow the tools from me...;)

With the high mileage on your truck, I would think just replacing the entire power steering pump assembly would be the easiest thing and safest to do. Then you will be good for another 376K! ;) :D

Well, a little update, I replaced the pump and pulley and the truck is road worthy again. It seems that the pulley spun on the pump shaft. Pulley wouldn't fit the new pump so I bought a new pulley and it is back together again. Now all I have to do is get the injectors replaced again, along with the CP3

If your talking about the CP3, Mostly because of the mileage the truck has on it and while the truck is getting the injectors replaced I would be labor ahead on the CP3 unless you know something different from what I have been told before...

If your talking about the CP3, Mostly because of the mileage the truck has on it and while the truck is getting the injectors replaced I would be labor ahead on the CP3 unless you know something different from what I have been told before...
Theres not really that much tuff that overlaps between the 2 to justify doing them both at the same time. And 01-02 CP3's were the ones that were bad about wearing out, 03+ didn't seem to suffer quite as bad with mileage. Personally I wouldn't do one just to do it for a mostly stock truck. If you had a built trans and was pushing a 3000 pulsewidth I would say it would be worthwhile, but not for a basic truck. It could be getting weak, but for a $700 CP3 I would do the injectors first and see if it is good or not.

Thanks for the input Therm, Would you replace the Fuel regulator? I have notice that the idle fluctuates a tiny bit at idle....

Back