• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Windows 7

I just picked up a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy on Sunday with Windows 7 pre-installed and it's hands down 100% better than the Vista HP piece of crap laptop I bought. Startup and shutdown are pretty fast.

I talked to a few computer guys and they said that upgrading is a huge pain in the ass. Takes forever to run...

I still run XP for work. Proven and reliable.
Thats the reason I did a clean install. This is so much better than Vista

I am now in the long process of installing all of my software.....Most of which are available on the net.

Yeah, clean install is the way to go, I typically re-format my computers every year or so, just to keep the running fresh.

Yeah, clean install is the way to go, I typically re-format my computers every year or so, just to keep the running fresh.
I have six computers in my house....that is a huge chore unless you had a seperate partition that contained the Original OS and Factory Setup.

There's no better feeling than getting rid of all the old crap you've done to an old OS install.

That's also a real good time for an image for a real restore of a freshly tweaked system. And I don't mean relying on some restore disk that puts all that crap back on from the store bought model.

Right now I'm sitting at 9 computers (6 at home, 2 at parents, 1 borrowed):

In order of age:

HP laptop - Win 7
ASUS EEE - XP
ASUS laptop - Vista
HP laptop - Win7/XP dual boot
Custom Desktop - MAC Leopard
Custom Desktop - Win 7
Custom Desktop - XP
Custom Desktop - XP
HP Desktop - XP

I used to be into building the fun stuff too, but that was before things got so expensive. A few boards and processors were modded and destroyed, but I managed the number three spot worldwide for a certain class.
I had a fifty gallon water tank outside with a plumbing coil running through it for water cooling a single processor and a whole table lined up with different versions. It was so bad that the next door neighbors wouldn't let their son come over to see because they were afraid he might get corrupted...LOL.
It was insane, but a blast.

These days notebooks and netbooks are so handy for me...walk around the house and travel and such.

Almost done with this chore, so far it is really good, I hate they took the classic look out of it.....

Haven't seen anything they took out except the classic look. The games are gone and i liked chess.

I purchased Windows 7 Upgrade last month for $30 (because I used my student email address).

So far I like it. Basically the same thing as Vista (to me) but a few changes. I do like how the device manager is setup, makes it easy to change device settings and whatnot. I do like that at idle my computer runs at 0 - 1% cpu usage. Vista was usually 3-5% idle. I do like that part.

I'm not really sure why people hate Vista... I ran Vista for one to two years with no problems at all. I think the biggest thing is because people didn't have the computers to handle Vista properly and reported slow performance for one example.

Haven't seen anything they took out except the classic look. The games are gone and i liked chess.

Windows 7 has all the games installed... Chess, Checkers, spades, solitare, spider solitar, etc...

I purchased Windows 7 Upgrade last month for $30 (because I used my student email address).

So far I like it. Basically the same thing as Vista (to me) but a few changes. I do like how the device manager is setup, makes it easy to change device settings and whatnot. I do like that at idle my computer runs at 0 - 1% cpu usage. Vista was usually 3-5% idle. I do like that part.

I'm not really sure why people hate Vista... I ran Vista for one to two years with no problems at all. I think the biggest thing is because people didn't have the computers to handle Vista properly and reported slow performance for one example.

Windows 7 has all the games installed... Chess, Checkers, spades, solitare, spider solitar, etc...

Did you do a clean install, or just upgrade?

So far so good... I haven't figured out most of it though. Only had it for 3 operating hours up to now. It wasn't very friendly when I tried to store some pics and files off a disc from the old computer. I'm missing something... I'll figure it out eventually.

Did you do a clean install, or just upgrade?

Tried to upgrade, but things were messed up so I did a clean install after that.

For those who don't have games installed on Windows 7, make sure your game feature is installed... go to your programs and features then click turn off and on my windows features. Games will be on the top part... or was for me lol.

I just reformatted a very old laptop with a 4 gig hard drive and used "Tiny Xp" w/ service pack 3 pre installed...That old slow laptop runs as quick as a newer one...

the creator of Tiny XP stripped all the unnecessary resource hogs out of XP and I must say they did an excellent job...it only takes up 2 Gigs of space as well...

I just reformatted a very old laptop with a 4 gig hard drive and used "Tiny Xp" w/ service pack 3 pre installed...That old slow laptop runs as quick as a newer one...

the creator of Tiny XP stripped all the unnecessary resource hogs out of XP and I must say they did an excellent job...it only takes up 2 Gigs of space as well...

where did you get this tiny xp??? I have an old laptop that just crawls...

Back