• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Windows 7

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
Anyone take the upgrade? I ordered Win7 and decided to install a couple new drives so if something happens I can slap my old ones back in. Any words of wisdoms on the method to install?

Dumb question here....how do I know what version I have?

He's referring to the new operating system that replaces the FAILED Vista that replaced xp Gerald.
You're probably thinking Internet Explorer. You can find that in your installed programs file.

I hear its a huge undertaking if you upgrade. I am not sure on the clean install... Good luck...

I've had Windows 7 release canidate since july on my laptop and the full retail version since august on my desktop. I get them for free from the school as part of our acdemic alliance with microsoft (one perk of being in college still)

Windows 7 is a great upgrade, especially if you have vista. It runs very well, even on my older desktop (3ghz P4 with 2gb ram) and I haven't had any problems with either computer.

I have to say I don't trust anything after the Vista. My laptop is a vista. I've had the damn thing a little over a year now and its got nothing but problems. Half thw webpages I want to open it freezes or tells me the program isn't responding anymore and closes it for me. Nothing but problems. So i really don't trust this new windows 7 bs. If windows 98 wasnt so outdated and incompatible with programs these days I'd be running that.

Windows vista was a horrible failure and should have never been released IMO. They did learn from that however. Don't knock windows 7 till you at least check it out. Vista was a memory hog and had tons of bugs, even after SP1. I'm sure windows 7 will have bugs here and there (as does every OS), but they did a good job putting this one together.

Mac is sounding more appealing everyday.......but then again maybe not.

People either they love them or hate them, and for such a pricey item, I'm not sure which catagory I would fall into.....Which also makes the leap hard to swallow.

Last edited:
Mac is sounding more appealing everyday.......but then again maybe not.

People either they love them or hate them, and for such a pricey item, I'm not sure which catagory I would fall into.....Which also makes the leap hard to swallow.

I love them. They are not with out their faults but overall a very stable enviroment.... I just hate the price....

I will be doing the upgrade with 2 new Sata drives and a clean install. i will download all of my drivers and put them on my NAS for use after the install. I hope to have this process completed in a few hours. Tune for more later.....

It is much better than Vista, i am in the process of reinstalling my programs since this is a clean install. The only questions it asked me was related to keyboard layout, time zone, and appearance setting. It installed all oem drivers with out any prompts from me. It is faster than Vista and so far it behaves much better. If it stays this way I know I wil like it.

I just picked up a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy on Sunday with Windows 7 pre-installed and it's hands down 100% better than the Vista HP piece of crap laptop I bought. Startup and shutdown are pretty fast.

I talked to a few computer guys and they said that upgrading is a huge pain in the ass. Takes forever to run...

I still run XP for work. Proven and reliable.

XP has always been my Favorite, with 98 right behind it.

Vista is Terrible IMO.

...and anyone wanting to go Mac, find my Thread on here about my Problems with them, and it'll make you wanna Stay PC.

Back