• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Will No Glow plug Relay Cause a Service engine Light?

pgguru

Recruit
Reaction score
So Removed my glow plug relay and put in a button to run it..
I was fine but now I have a service engine Light so I am thinking I will need to replace it.
Thanks

My guess is the ecm commands a glow cycle and sets a code when it doesn't occur.

Yep, no glow plug relay + service engine soon light comes on. You can wire in a manual push button switch to work with the factory glow plug system for extended glow time if needed, but the factory relay needs to be wired in place.

My glow plug relay is gone, replaced with a solenoid for my push button. Wires just un-clipped and hanging there. No light for me

Can't you just add a jumper wire from the old solenoid wire that is currently disconnected to the new solenoid along with the switched wire? The ECM will control it like normal, then when you want to you hit the switch you added. Then no more light and functioning normal.

I realize this is not the ideal thing with the factory gp relay for the temp duty rating, thats why Leroys added relay is good. But if he already went through the expense of a constant duty solenoid it should be ok, right?

Or will that back feed the ECM?

Back