• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Who Would Be Interested.....

Interested In EFI Live?

• Yes, lets try and get this going

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • Hell no son, we don't take kindly to strangers around here!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
In EFI Live support for OBDII 6.5's? Me personally, I would love to see it happen. I've been thinking about it alot lately. I already have the system but it just sits in the back of my truck incase I need it for codes. I was thinking if we could get enough interest maybe they would get around to making apart of their family.

I would really just love to be able to control the trans but imagine what some people could do with it engine wise. I mean lets face it, the programs available right now are just blanket tunes to fit the majority. What about you guys with the ATT, or lowered compression and IC'd. I'm sure you guys could benefit from a more detailed tune. Give you the power to change anything in the PCM, I know I loved it in my LS1 I had, and the tune I tweaked in my buddies GTO, and I know my dad loves the tune I put in his D-Max,

BTW, I am not affiliated in anyway with EFI Live. I'm just hoping that there will be enough interest shown that the powers that be may provide support.

Last edited:
Why limit it to OBD-II :rolleyes5:? the ground program would be OBD-I anyway :confused:. I would like to have a program to control the electronics like the big boys. :D

I would like to see what EFI live could do to a 6.5TD.

It would not help me much, But I would like to see what it could do.

I don't think EFI LIVE works on the 6.5 trucks does it?

No. To my knowlege there is no software that can "control" or modify the tune on our trucks availible to general public. Tech1/2 and Autoengiunty are the only bi directional scan tools that even work on 6.5 obd2. All EFI live can do is read codes for us. I am not sure what Heath uses to reprogram the ECM.

No. To my knowlege there is no software that can "control" or modify the tune on our trucks availible to general public. Tech1/2 and Autoengiunty are the only bi directional scan tools that even work on 6.5 obd2. All EFI live can do is read codes for us. I am not sure what Heath uses to reprogram the ECM.

The only option for the 6.5 and "in truck" programing is from Westers. ($1800)

Otherwise you are sending the ECM out for programing.

no good to me, but great for our community. Maybe I should start looking for that 'burb for the wife....

Over on another site there was discussion about EFI live for 6.5, looks to be just a reader at this point, cost would be a huge factor for interest, we can get a ready to run performance program without risk from multiple vendors for $500 ish, couple of scan tools out basic version is free for OBD-I guys, enhanced is about $200. Whomever came out with a EFI live would want to work with some of the more experienced 6.5ers to get a beta test going so EFI live did not permit novices to burn up engines. There would be interest, but EFI live would have to be less than what preprogrammed PCMs would cost to make it really interesting, plus how much gain would there be with EFI?

I don't really understand. The beauty of EFI Live is that you are in control, not a vendor. You can burn up any motor with EFI Live if you don't know what you are doing or you push the tune too far. There are no limits. I have been using it for 2 years and love it. But I really wish I could use it on my 6.5.

The cost is not that bad if you think about it. It's $800 and comes with 2 licenses. So you can tune your 6.5 and then your wifes grocery getter or whatever is supported. So really you are paying $400 each, then every license after that is only $100. It really is the best tuning software out there. I have sat down with dyno tuners and showed them how this progrm works and they loved it, mind you they were usng HPT and TunerCat. If they had to sell it for less than preprogrammed pcms then why do they already sell so many. Dyno tunes run any where from $350-$700 for most vehicles. This is for the real enthusiasts who want total control over the entire vehicle.

How much gain would there be? Well that is all dependent on the vehicle and the tuner. Those vendor tunes are made to suite many people, no vehicle specific tunes. Once you figure your way around the program you could tune your truck to the edge. Most mail order tunes for LT1's are $150 to give you an idea. There is quite a bit left on the table. No vendor wants to be responsible for your engine blowing up because of a tune that was too "hot". So they keep the programs mild.

IMPO I would rather spend $300 more and be in total control of my vehicle + one more. You could also datalog with or without a laptop, and eventually load tunes that you have saved to the V2 without a laptop. But all this is useless as they will more than likely never provide support for us lonely 6.5 enthusiasts.

One more comment, if they were to provide us with support then that would drive vendors to be more competetive. They would have to be one up to keep on top which is good for us.

With the issues on the 6.5 and what Iv'e seen for experience most 6.5ers, IMO a lot of risk to full tuning for most, the tunes out there are pretty much worked out over years of experience, some hard lessons (blown engines) programmed into current offerings. I'm reasonably intelligent when it comes to the 6.5, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with EFI live allowing me to tweak things that I know nothing about.

Also $800 a pop, you haven't been round the 6.5 crowd much, or have forgotten how cheap most of us are, we got guys that complain gauges are too expensive, and you think they will shell out 800 bones for a programmer that may or may not net gains, and also enable them if they mess up to roast their engines.

Not nixing idea but until they are ready to get serious at price competitive with exisitng programs I doubt much traction on that road.

Your catching on Justin :thumbsup:, I try to stay current with pulse of the 6.5 stuff, just cause you don't see TD posting doesn't mean he ain't watching :eek:.

New job keeps me away from you guys as much as I used to be on over on other site, been on new job since Sept. 8, been huge learning curve learning Diesel locomotives from my time in turbines, lot of brain drain plus commuting to Ms from Ga on weekends and back. Getting a handle on new job so will start to frequent site more & more as I get up to speed.

If there's a need or a want for EFI here, I'm tempted to contact them for you guys (and our DMAX crowd too) to see if they want to come here as supporting vendors.

i think a man should be allowed to blow his own stuff up, there's way too much "big brother knows best " in this world,if a man's not qualified to do as he pleases, what is the quality of life? disclaimers and caveats have been around for ever, keeps life interesting when you get close to the fire once in a while :smile5:

If there's a need or a want for EFI here, I'm tempted to contact them for you guys (and our DMAX crowd too) to see if they want to come here as supporting vendors.

I have contacted EFI Live and Tuner Cat to try and get some interest. They said that we didn't have enough interest or a large enough base to make it worth their time. Now this was two years ago, maybe you can change their mind. I would like to have EFI live for my OBD I truck.

I’m sure that the guys with the newer electronic platforms would like to have them here. Now if we can just convince EFI that the 6.5 guys need/want a programmable solution for our operating system would make a big difference.

There is a thread on the other place about the same thing. Cindy from EFI Live has posted on there stating why they have'nt done it yet but they do plan on it, just not in 2009.

IMO I think there is more interest than lets say, V6 Malibu or I5 Colorado which are supported, but i may be wrong.

Back