• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

which starter to buy ????

Wow! That sucker spins fast. And that's the cleanest engine I've seen since brand new.
Still haven't bough a starter yet. Hope she lasts till I can afford one, also want to get the new
cables when she's out.

I use NAPA for most stuff on the farm. Only time i dont is if they are way over prices on something or I know its junk.

Their Premium rebuilts and new starters are lifetime warranties it lists them as being Delco starters, the New starter is around $300 my cost, their premium reman is actually $30 more, I dont know what walk in customers cost is.

I also dont know how good their starters are. A lifetime warranty does you no good if it fails every year or two. Also depends on your service with your local NAPA. Ours is phenomenal and never have any issues. But I know of enough people who have complaints about their local NAPAs.

Have you ever spent a winter in AK? When an engine is so cold you can burn up a starter trying to get it to turn fast enough to start. May not be the same as hot climate but it sure isn't easy on em either lol
True,but it takes longer for the starter to get hot too + batts are usually half the capacity.

Who wants to live in Arizona anyway,Mexicans and rattle snakes live there

I have a 19955 k3500. The starter seems to unload or unengage when the motor starts to
hit. Then it free spins for a second. Have to crank it a couple times to get it to fire. I've been reading but can't find which is best. Advance has a rebuilt for 209.00, but I think I saw ssdiesel had a gear reduction for 150? Which should I get? Mine has a brace on what looks like the factory starter. From what im reading I need a different brace for a gear reduction one correct,?

It still starts, im just trying to head off a problem thanks. Chris
You got a shot starter drive,look in the sticky's how to DIY rebuild.

I use NAPA for most stuff on the farm. Only time i dont is if they are way over prices on something or I know its junk.

Their Premium rebuilts and new starters are lifetime warranties it lists them as being Delco starters, the New starter is around $300 my cost, their premium reman is actually $30 more, I dont know what walk in customers cost is.

I also dont know how good their starters are. A lifetime warranty does you no good if it fails every year or two. Also depends on your service with your local NAPA. Ours is phenomenal and never have any issues. But I know of enough people who have complaints about their local NAPAs.

I'd install a hand crank through the grille before buying another NAPA starter again. I'll go to them for just about everything, except things I can get reasonably through the dealer, but not starters or alternators. My previous truck used to EAT their starters to the tune of NINE (9) of them over the course of 4-5 years. Ended up replacing the 4.3 with a Vortec 350, bought a new starter from somewhere else and it never failed me again.

Thought maybe a video of a couple starts would be better than words, so folks could judge for themselves.

The relevant specs are: powermaster starter put on at engine build time a few years/35k miles ago, 2x Diehard Platinum P4 AGM batteries (880CCA/ea), original batt cables, engine compression should be around 19:1. Haven't done a compression test since rebuild, but plan to this winter while the front end is off (for turbo project fabrication) & access for compression test is easiest.

First of all, don't post videos like that with your hood open because it makes the rest of us look bad. Your engine bay is stunning. What state are you in?

Second, HOLY COW! I really like that thing spinning over that fast.

3500GMC - is there a weak point with the factory cables?

The factory cables are undersized. So are the wires going to the alternator. That's why they are always baked on older vehicles. It has to shorten the life of the alternators and starters having undersized cables.

The factory cables are undersized. So are the wires going to the alternator. That's why they are always baked on older vehicles. It has to shorten the life of the alternators and starters having undersized cables.
My 89 is still stock,i never had a problem.replaced 1 starter and 1 alt in the16 years i own it.

I suppose with 800,000 miles, I would surely expect to change a few things like that. I think you've gotten your money's worth since that averages out at over 250,000 miles each.

Bison thanks. I think I will rebuild it, can I get a kit from parts store?

First of all, don't post videos like that with your hood open because it makes the rest of us look bad. Your engine bay is stunning. What state are you in?

Second, HOLY COW! I really like that thing spinning over that fast.

3500GMC - is there a weak point with the factory cables?

I live just north of Kansas City. Truck gets driven every day rain or snow; all the time spent blasting & powder coating engine tin & brackets at rebuild time does make it/keep it looking nice. FWIW - I find the aerosol cans of pickup bed liner excellent for refurbishing the black material of the rad shroud, airbox, etc.

With lower compression & needing it to start reliably in winter temps, I put some thought & $ into starter/batts etc. The Diehard Platinum P4 AGM batteries are also a significant reason it cranks fast; they're expensive but good - if they actually last the 2-3x normal batt life claimed, then they'll be a reasonable bargain - time will tell)
(relabelled Odyssey battery - http://odysseybatteries.com/

Have got new/heavy batt cables but haven't installed/cut to length, as I plan to move the batt location(s) sometime this winter; there's been no rush as it spins over pretty good as is.

I live just north of Kansas City. Truck gets driven every day rain or snow; all the time spent blasting & powder coating engine tin & brackets at rebuild time does make it/keep it looking nice. FWIW - I find the aerosol cans of pickup bed liner excellent for refurbishing the black material of the rad shroud, airbox, etc.

With lower compression & needing it to start reliably in winter temps, I put some thought & $ into starter/batts etc. The Diehard Platinum P4 AGM batteries are also a significant reason it cranks fast; they're expensive but good - if they actually last the 2-3x normal batt life claimed, then they'll be a reasonable bargain - time will tell)
(relabelled Odyssey battery - http://odysseybatteries.com/

Have got new/heavy batt cables but haven't installed/cut to length, as I plan to move the batt location(s) sometime this winter; there's been no rush as it spins over pretty good as is.

For some reason, I was thinking you were in Ohio.

Back