• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

which starter to buy ????

qak

Reaction score
I have a 19955 k3500. The starter seems to unload or unengage when the motor starts to
hit. Then it free spins for a second. Have to crank it a couple times to get it to fire. I've been reading but can't find which is best. Advance has a rebuilt for 209.00, but I think I saw ssdiesel had a gear reduction for 150? Which should I get? Mine has a brace on what looks like the factory starter. From what im reading I need a different brace for a gear reduction one correct,?

It still starts, im just trying to head off a problem thanks. Chris

Your truck should have the gear reduction one on it already. The one from ssdiesel is a delving remy unit and is brand Mrs. I printed they're ad and took it into advance auto and got a brand new remy unit for 150 when they're price was 300

You could just replace the solenoid and check the one way roller.. Maybe a little lube here and there...

I heard that Powermaster starter is very good. If you ever need to change it, try to have somebody rebuild it instead of buying from the chain part store.

I had my OEM starter rebuilt for right at $100 a few years back. Might try that route, too, if you can find a rebuilder.

Get your old one rebuilt, or buy a genuine ACDELCO rebuilt one is my opinion. Avoid the made in mexico crap from teh chain stores at all costs. The REMY unit from ADVANCE seems to be a good builder as well though. I have a REMY alternator on the BURB and it has outlasted any of the remans I have gotten from the chain stores lately. And the DURALAST from autozone seems to be the absolute WORST of any of them as they charge you the premium price for a new one, yet all you are getting is the same crumby rebuild job.

Thanks for the advice. I thought id get a really good gear reduction one, but didnt realize it came from the
factory that way. Im glad it didnt just die on me, id have made a mistake and gotten the wrong one. Thanks
For the help folks:thumbsup:

Sounds like your overrun roller clutch is slipping. Possible you have broken ring gear teeth.

New Powermaster starters are worth every penny. They spin the engine faster.
Local rebuilds I have had trouble with bad solenoids 2 in a row.
I am running a Autolight Mexico rebuild and a Powermaster now. If I had the funds it would have been 2 Powermasters.
New vs. iffy rebuilt stuff is always better to go new. These engines are extremely hard on starters and if the rebuild missed something it will show up.

Sounds like your overrun roller clutch is slipping. Possible you have broken ring gear teeth.

I am running a Autolight Mexico rebuild and a Powermaster now. If I had the funds it would have been 2 Powermasters.
New vs. iffy rebuilt stuff is always better to go new. These engines are extremely hard on starters and if the rebuild missed something it will show up.

Interesting. +35 ft. lbs. torque over stock. I didn't see warranty information, although there wasn't any real warranty implied with mine after I had it rebuit and that was several years back. Hopefully there is still a provision for the front support bracket? Not a bad price at +$300. If I remember right, that was about what a remanufactured starter was going for back when I opted to have mine rebuilt.

Edit - warranty of one year

can't be to hard on them mine's got 250k on it and all I did was new brushes and lube at about 180k

Have you ever spent a few days of summer in the state of Arizona, particularly Phoenix???

You cannot even walk normally on the asphalt. I could not imagine what it does to the trucks.

Just FYI.

Have you ever spent a few days of summer in the state of Arizona, particularly Phoenix???

You cannot even walk normally on the asphalt. I could not imagine what it does to the trucks.

Just FYI.

Have you ever spent a winter in AK? When an engine is so cold you can burn up a starter trying to get it to turn fast enough to start. May not be the same as hot climate but it sure isn't easy on em either lol

x2 on the Powermaster starter. I've had mine for about 35k miles now & also think it was worth the price. Spins my 6.5 over about as fast as you ever hear any diesel pickup crank.

Does it sound like it cranks as fast as the Duramax engines do? How does the engine react to the quick turning? These 6.5s just always seem as if they're lazy about getting rolling, compared to the Dmax that cranks fast and FIRES, then idles.

Thought maybe a video of a couple starts would be better than words, so folks could judge for themselves.

http://youtu.be/hRoPIDtya4w

The relevant specs are: powermaster starter put on at engine build time a few years/35k miles ago, 2x Diehard Platinum P4 AGM batteries (880CCA/ea), original batt cables, engine compression should be around 19:1. Haven't done a compression test since rebuild, but plan to this winter while the front end is off (for turbo project fabrication) & access for compression test is easiest.

Back