• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which Starter Motor?

hookedup50

Reaction score
I'm on Rockauto and looking at new starters. My choices are Remy Gold or AC Delco Professional. The money is about 15 bucks difference. Is one as good or better than the other. I don't do rebuildsand this is either gonna be a spare or installed. I have an electrical issue with present starter that I still think it is terminal ends and such that need cleaning. I try to keep one of everything for all my vehicles

Yep. My power master outlived them all, until I dropped the truck off a 40" ledge and smacked the power master with a 5/8" chunk of rebar. Thank heavens it missed the oil pan. Had to go back to my spare used one. Only buying power masters from now on.

Yep. My power master outlived them all, until I dropped the truck off a 40" ledge and smacked the power master with a 5/8" chunk of rebar. Thank heavens it missed the oil pan. Had to go back to my spare used one. Only buying power masters from now on.

I had to check the user ID after i read that. Sounds like some desert luck from WarWagon is getting to you! :)

It could be the power master handles the heat better, but I have a friend that is a furd 7.3 diesel guy living in Alaska and he is the one that got me hooked on powermasters, so I don't know if its just the heat.

My magic mirror said 124 degrees today and tried to overheat the 6.0 suburban even. I had to turn off ac after idling for 15 minutes, went from 195 to 235. Glad that wasn't a 6.5 on that one.

Anybody have experience with gear reduction units? Or is the Powermaster actually a gear reduction unit and I missed that aspect?

As luck / timing has it, my starter just bricked and the local shop highly recommends going with a locally made gear reduction starter as they have great success with it in the 6.5.

If a gear reduction unit is workable, are there any specific qualities I should look for (ex: not rebuilt, etc . . .)?

Aside from the gear reduction or Powermaster starters, a new Bosch looks tempting from a pricing and lifetime warranty perspective, not to mention 1999gmc's experience with it.

Last edited:
The starters for the 6.5s are gear reduction starters. Only the older 6.2s were direct drives. Not sure what year the switch was made.

I can say the power master is great. I can't recall the last time any electrical built Bosch part disappointed me. What's the price difference? The lifetime on the Bosch sounds good so long as it's not a nightmare to get warranty done. Is it in stock locally?

Also how long do you have to wait for each warranty. I never did warranty my powermaster, so idk. Iirc it only has a 1 year.

I broke the overrun clutch on my Powermaster with bad injectors and warrantied it. It's a 1 year warranty. IMO the aftermarket is hit or miss, but, you know pretty quick when you get a bad one.

The Powermaster does have a stronger motor (and will spin the engine faster as I measured) than the OEM/aftermarket gear drive units. Gear and direct drive units are interchangeable. Yes I ruined the gears in one on the project truck with ether...

Just pick a muddy, cold, snowy, or otherwise 'miserable change the starter out' place away from your tools to shut the truck off to "test" it. :woot:

What's the price difference?. . . Is it in stock locally?

Rock Auto and Amazon have the Bosch new (SR8574N) for ~180 where Rock Auto specs it for the 6.2L and Amazon shows it works with the 6.5L. The Bosch site indicates that the new starter is *not* for the 6.5L, but the *reman* part (SR8574X) is . . . o_O

Both Rock Auto and Amazon state "Lifetime warranty" for the Bosch with no other qualifiers.

For $140 less -I would try the Bosch lifetime.

I think that rock auto just needs to update their application info.

(Powermaster 9052).

If my supplier has them in stock and I can drop ship then I can sell for $305 shipped.
If I have to pay to ship here then to you its not going to work out price wise.
Jegs is $320

Back