• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which D Max/

Thanks FERM:thumbsup:.......I'll see about calling the owner and trying to get a little more detailed info on it.

Thats very gracious of you both......I'd forgotten about our FL. members (FERM and Nick )

Nick arn't you on the West coast?

He's on the south side of Tampa now, so were both about the same distance from it. He's only an hour away from me:D. Saratoga is also down here in the same area.

He's on the south side of Tampa now, so were both about the same distance from it. He's only an hour away from me:D. Saratoga is also down here in the same area.

Looks like a construction Co./Trailer........wonder how heavy they loaded that monster?

On the good side it's a 1 owner truck......and they say they serviced it regularly.

Someone needs to kick the tires.......I'll call the guy tomorrow.

I wouldnt worry too much. I bet it weighs <30K gross which shouldnt be terrible on the truck if it is maintained and not drivin by an idiot. My uncle pulls one similar to that (construction contractor/roofing business) with a 2010 SRW 3500HD 6.0L and they arent really loaded with heavy equip (normally) just tools and some lumber. I would take a look in the trailer just to see what he pulled though.

There is one like it here in OK that was used for an RV puller that might be ok too.

so just my .02
Being that we own 2 LB7's, 1 LLY, and 1 LBZ, I would have to say the LB7 might be my favorite of the bunch. Provided I will say that all of these motors are amazing, trouble free, and powerfull to boot. There isnt a bad one out of the bunch.

Now the LB7's obviously have their injector issues which is not a cheap fix if paying someone to do the job. However, the difference in fuel mileage is huge. If you are planning on putting on a ton of miles the added fuel economy is worth the issues. Our 03' has 320,000miles and runs like new. All while getting 21mpg mixed driving most of the time. My LBZ is hard pressed to get 18-19 on the same exact route. Usually more around 16-17mpg.

However the LLY and LBZ have been nothing but amazing. Dont see much notable difference between the two. Only issue ive had was the egr valve. Thats it. They are much more quiet and powerful than the LB7, but the LB7 has plenty of power IMO.

So basically, id say any of the three are a great choice. Just stay away from the newer DPF. And the allison 5spd (LB7) has held up very well when compared to the newer 6 speed too. Just my opinion and findings. Good luck on the search! If you are looking at any in CT let me know..

-Nick

so just my .02
Being that we own 2 LB7's, 1 LLY, and 1 LBZ, I would have to say the LB7 might be my favorite of the bunch. Provided I will say that all of these motors are amazing, trouble free, and powerfull to boot. There isnt a bad one out of the bunch.

Now the LB7's obviously have their injector issues which is not a cheap fix if paying someone to do the job. However, the difference in fuel mileage is huge. If you are planning on putting on a ton of miles the added fuel economy is worth the issues. Our 03' has 320,000miles and runs like new. All while getting 21mpg mixed driving most of the time. My LBZ is hard pressed to get 18-19 on the same exact route. Usually more around 16-17mpg.

However the LLY and LBZ have been nothing but amazing. Dont see much notable difference between the two. Only issue ive had was the egr valve. Thats it. They are much more quiet and powerful than the LB7, but the LB7 has plenty of power IMO.

So basically, id say any of the three are a great choice. Just stay away from the newer DPF. And the allison 5spd (LB7) has held up very well when compared to the newer 6 speed too. Just my opinion and findings. Good luck on the search! If you are looking at any in CT let me know..

-Nick

With a good EFILIVE tune though, the LBZ can get as good or better milage than the LB7(6th gear with a good tune will surprise you on the highway), and EGR issues are gone as you can shut it off. Stock the LB7 aside from injector issues is great, but with some slight tweaks the LBZ will outdo it in every category. And the LLY is almost as good as the LBZ. Only real downfall(if you want to call it that) is it doesn't have the 6 speed ALLISON. And if your tuning one, don't overlook the LMM. It can be tuned to be almsot identical to the LBZ(the LMM has differrent injectors than teh LBZ for emissiosn reasons that keep it back on milage a hair).

I was getting a consistent 22-23 mpg highway with my LBZ AFTER about 6k miles. That leveled off and at around 25k, I could barely squeeze 20, on a good day, with a tail wind. And once I lifted it, it was all over.

With an 85 hp tune, my LLY felt so much peppier down low and would get out of the hole like an indy car. My LBZ was a totally different animal with the same tune.

If I buy another truck, it's probably gonna be a 2008-2010 LMM, used. There's no way I could afford a new one stickered at around 60k. Prices have gotten absurd.

Louis, your gonna smile ear to ear once you have a Duramax. I've had mine for 8 months and I still cannot believe the power it has. The mileage is about the same as my 6.5 was with a whole lot more power. It's kinda unbelievable actually.

Good luck with your search!

With a good EFILIVE tune though, the LBZ can get as good or better milage than the LB7(6th gear with a good tune will surprise you on the highway), and EGR issues are gone as you can shut it off. Stock the LB7 aside from injector issues is great, but with some slight tweaks the LBZ will outdo it in every category. And the LLY is almost as good as the LBZ. Only real downfall(if you want to call it that) is it doesn't have the 6 speed ALLISON. And if your tuning one, don't overlook the LMM. It can be tuned to be almsot identical to the LBZ(the LMM has differrent injectors than teh LBZ for emissiosn reasons that keep it back on milage a hair).

Well now I want to tune the truck even more...Ive been holding off on the tune and egr block as my extended warranty just ran out in Febuary. Now that I dont have to worry about that im ready to start looking for an apropriate tune. Very happy to hear that the mileage can improve that much.

I sometimes feel like I dont know much about these engines as I never have to work on them! Deffinetly a good thing....Now the 6.5 on the other hand I know inside and out ;)

Louis, whichever truck you end up with you are going to love it. The engine and trans combo cannot be beat.

-Nick

Block, PCV reroute and EFI are the best bet. You get to have a custom tune to your needs. I will go EFI at some point. For now I have 2 of 3 & I'm pleased with the Predator on 85 but I have some issues with the Finger Stick from time to time that I wouldn't with EFI.

UPDATE: Truck was sold to a Local friend about 3 days after I saw the ad.......Another "Sister" truck still (Blue w/ grey Interior) remains in another state. Waiting on info from the owner, again.

Just FYI

Just thinking that with several motions you might be making with a tow rig would be hard on the driveline. Any heavy jerking and such can't be good for the u-joints and trans. Maybe I'm being too cautious Louis.

Just don't let em' put the white letters out Louis...I hear it decreases load capacity and makes the truck much slower...

Just thinking that with several motions you might be making with a tow rig would be hard on the driveline. Any heavy jerking and such can't be good for the u-joints and trans. Maybe I'm being too cautious Louis.

Seems the 3500HD is the right platform (W/ Tow Package), Long wheelbase is good for any wrecker.....Plus 3500 C&C is what they use to build these wreckers.....GVWR on a 06 3500HD is, What,....About 12 -13,000.

And I want to put a "Sneeker" or Slide in Self loader.....With the "Sneeker" I've got room in the bed for a "Quick Crane."

Back in the day of "Steel Bumpers," I've Towed with a 3/4 Ton (8600 GVWR) (SRW) and a 3 pole manly.....Towed like a dream.

Just don't let em' put the white letters out Louis...I hear it decreases load capacity and makes the truck much slower...

(Blackwall ONLY!:skep: and, Change out the brake light fluid to Synthetic should fix me right up!:???:

Poor Louis is thinking "huh"?
wtf.gif

Always.......Trying to make my life a little easier.......Oh wait, Don't I drive a 6.5 TD:mad2::???:

Back