• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which D Max/

Brooklyn Tow

9 11 Never Forget
Reaction score
I know someone posted a thread about which D Max was the most reliable, trouble free, etc........I can't seem to find the thread, I've searched.

I know they all have there quirks, like the early ones had injector issues and the late ones had overheating problems....I know this is the wrong forum section, but I just wanted some exposure......feel free to move it Mods, Just let the ball get rolling.

Please any and all info is welcomed.....general, detailed, whatever

Thanks,

Most say the Lbz is the best all around, most problems have been fixed and it is pre emissions.

06-07, you're welcome

Louis, if you look at the TTS home page under the Duramax section it gives the models and the years they were produced.

Louis,

As a 6.5er that lost an engine, I did look at replacing the truck.

I have looked at possibly the LLY or maybe a LBZ.
Mainly due to the improved injectors and the external access. It also has the least on the emissions area, no urea injection and does have the mileage complaints that the LMM have from regeneration.

A late LB7 would be next on the list. The BS needed to service the injectors doesn't bother me, its more of an inconvenience.

I don't think that I would consider an early LB7, mainly due to the early injector issues. Although, on what little I've read, the replacements resolved most of catastrophic failures.

A LMM or later is out of my price range.

For me, the key to any update to a dmax would be engine mileage and service records. Near 200K, the seller would need to show injector replacement or a good price to cover the cost. 60 to 80K of injector remaining injector life would be acceptable. I would get hinky if a truck was within 20k of needing injectors. (they are awfully expensive)

06-07 classic is the LBZ and is argueably the best DURAMAX engine built. There is absolutely no truth to newer LB7's being better than early ones. Injector bodies cast in 01 had a high rate of cracking, but I doubt if there are many if any of them left in service by now. Some LLY's(04.5-05) had overheating issues, but not all of them. The 07.5-10 is the same basic engine as the LBZ(06-07), but has a DPF and other assorted emissions equipment. And teh verdict is still out on the new LML, but other than the lack of tuners it seems to be solid right out of the gate. Also in 06 GM went to the 6 speed ALLISON which can hold a good deal more power than the 5 speeds could stock VS stock. LBZ's also have quite a few cooling system improvements to prevent overheating issues from all of the added emissions equipment that started mid year 04(the LLY's that did overheat were all linked to poor tuning, and some poor designs on GM's part to deal with the added emissiosn requirements).

06 GMC Crew Dually.jpg

This LBZ Caught my eye it's got about 120,000 mi. on it, loaded w/all the options, seller says it runs perfect.......But it lived life pulling a pretty BIG damn Trailer......Although it's the right rig for it.

Just wondering what you guys thought......Truck is ALL the Waaaaay down south, I would need to jump on a plane to go see it.

That looks like a winner and I'm pretty sure 20k is fair but I'd suggest doing a NADA on it to see what they have to say it's worth. You thinking tow truck? I wouldn't suggest that.

That looks like a winner and I'm pretty sure 20k is fair but I'd suggest doing a NADA on it to see what they have to say it's worth. You thinking tow truck? I wouldn't suggest that.

There is a slide in self loader unit (Dynamic)......Seen one on a single axle 04 2500HD Crew Cab, Worked like a dream, almost no saging, front wheels were still straight (Held the load 06 ME/BE ML SUV straight).

I'm thinking of doing something a little different......W/ a Sneeker and a Quick Crane. The long wheel base should go a long way to even out the load.....I drove plenty of Reg Cab (8600GVWR) and a 3 pole manley, Tows like a dream, like driving a car....You don't even know there is anything on the hook.

Looking for a DD, Creature comforts for NYPD program calls that can carry customers as well as the load........Pretty much Local jobs and maybe some Repos.....The repos I got covered with the 96, but it never hurts to have a back-up all around rig, people/customer hauler. The 94 7.3 flatbed/Rollback, does 90% of the long distance.

Let me know as I can probably swing down that way for yeah. Tampas only about 45 minutes away from me.

Thought it looked familiar, heres his local CL ad an a link to his PB account for it.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/for/3050540431.html
www.photobucket.com/06sierra

Thanks FERM:thumbsup:.......I'll see about calling the owner and trying to get a little more detailed info on it.

Thats very gracious of you both......I'd forgotten about our FL. members (FERM and Nick )

Nick arn't you on the West coast?

Back