• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Which antifreeze

Dexcool is a joke...I switched to it when I got my truck because I was told that's what it needed..but upon further review and conversations on here I'm dumping it out and putting regular green stuff back in it this weekend..not really sure on the brand till I get to the store but honestly I don't think it really matters on brand as long as it's not generic store brand

@Stoney be sure to flush all the dexcrap out good! I know on some blocks there are drain plugs that can be pulled to drain the block, I went to pull mine when I installed the new water pump and discovered my block doesn't have them!

From what I remember, use coolant that has no nitrates. and if using water wetter dont use the one for diesels. use the one for gas engines. I believe I was told nitrates aren't good for our engines
It's silicates that you should avoid with diesels. Silicates are sand and other debris that present in most all green anti-freezes. Diesel engines have such high compression that anything in the coolant acts like a sand blaster from the shock wave that is emitted off the cylinder wall that it can eat a hole straight through your cylinder walls over time(this was a REAL problem on the IHI FORD 7.3L IDI engines with many succumbing to it).

As to which to use, I run Zerex dex-cool mixxed with distilled water in my Duramax & Tahoe. I have nothing against ELC's myself and have seen no problems with Zerex dex-cool. I will say I will NOT run Prestone as I HAVE had problems with it. Dex-cool had issues early on, but run in a closed cooling system, I feel it is excellent anti-freeze, not to mention being silicate free.

Produced by Evans.

Pros are:
} the motor will self-destruct before this stuff boils, so in theory it can use higher temperature thermostats. But even with this, I run thermostats based on the mission and not the coolant. The selling point here is that it will resist cavitation (boiling at a set location) and continue to absorb heat rather than allow the hot-spot to continue climbing in temperature and creating a future failure point.

} theoretically long life. Have yet to have a reason for sending a batch in for testing to verify it is still good, but perhaps I should just-cause.

} no water to foster electrolysis.

Cons are:
} Expensive. Leaks are not your friend.

} not available just anywhere, so if on a road trip this can prove an issue. Theoretically it can mix with other stuff, but not for long and then it will need a purge and flush.

} will not work with some liquid cooled turbos which rely on up-welling current flow to remain cool after turning off the motor. This will coke the coolant.

Neutrals are:
} requires a purge process when converting from anything else.

} have read where the waterless coolant is not as effective in heat transfer as glycol / water. Do not have any metrics to put toward the difference. In any event, I have towed in the 15K - 16K# combined weight territory without issues.

} does not play well with all block heaters where higher wattage units will need to limit heat time in order to keep from coking the coolant. 600W heaters seem to have less concern, but 1,200+ Watt heaters will need to limit burn time. Best bet is to check with Evans for guidance.

Evans is the most popular brand.
Some love it- I don’t.
I will let them say the advantages

Disadvantages:
It does not transfer heat as quickly

It is flammable, so when it goes through your heater core if there is a leak people inside the cabin can be severely injured or killed. I know people this is happened to, So one of the big reasons I hate it.
If you chooses to run it in ANY rig you have- do not use the factory heater core system. Di not use it in something like a side by side where people are exposed to a failed hose or any part of the cooling system. Lynn Goodfellows’s mormon missle 2 had the best fire suppression system available on it, wearing all the fire gear, and still had major burn injuries with his rear engine salt flat toy. His personal compartment was separated from the engine compartment as required by the rules. This stuff is fire juice, just like your diesel fuel, treat it as such.

They have higher operating temperatures in many vehicles. I don’t care what the cooling material is, in the 6.2/6.5 Engine: 220°F means the cylinder walls are closing down on the rings and your engine is getting the hell beat out of it. I don’t care if it’s water, oil, unicorn blood- higher temp in this engine is devastating. This is part of the problem with oil based coolant not being able to transfer heat as quickly from the cylinder wall area to the coolant.

I have seen them go from saying you should run it in a sealed system, to an open system that cannot build pressure, back to a sealed system. Still experimenting after how many years? Imo, no. It simply doesn’t work well in certain applications, and they scramble for a reason it gives problems sometimes and this is one of the only variables they have to use.

FWIW, Ford came out with a warning about the glycol antifreeze catching fire when people tried to use the 7.3 SuperDuty as an ambulance without the ambulance package. Point is, not all coolant is immune to combustion when the system is pushed to extremes ;)

FWIW, Ford came out with a warning about the glycol antifreeze catching fire when people tried to use the 7.3 SuperDuty as an ambulance without the ambulance package. Point is, not all coolant is immune to combustion when the system is pushed to extremes ;)
Put some in a misting spray bottle of each type and spray on the campfire. One will put out the flame and the other does not, it helps the fire.
Light a kleenex on fire and dump one gallon of diesel fuel on it from a pail- it will extinguish it. Doesn’t mean it isn’t flammable or dumb to p have in the cabin of the rig. This from the guy that had 1/8” fuel line into my cab for reading pressure. Did I get away with it for years and years- yup. Dumb luck.

I find that a 60/40 mix of unicorn pee and water is magical.
Thats got My vote.
Been doing it like that for years.
The jug says 50/50, I always went 60 green and 40 water.
If a person does need to add a little water later on, it is covered. Although, I pack along a jug of 60/40 when I am on duh road.
The 60/40 will also give a lower temp freeze protection too. Lower than the 50/50.

Back