• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Wheel Spacer Torque Specs

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I put the spacers on my dually, and I can't remember what the torque specs are for the spacers.

I am thinking it's the same as the wheels, 175 ft lbs on the rear. It's just that the spacers are aluminum and I would hate to pull a spacer stud though. The spacers were made by Fred's and have a good rep, but I can't for the life of me remember the spec.....getting old sucks...or maybe it's just getting lazy.

Anyways, anyone else using 2" spacers on the rear of their dually or 2500 and remember the torque specs?

I'd guess its close to the same as stock as its probably a similar lug stud so you could use your lug OE lug nuts.

But it would be best to call / email wheeladapter.com to be sure.

If they are freds, then they should be steel. I believe factory torque is 110 or 120 foot pounds for the wheel lugs.

Thanks fellas.

I never thought of emailing Fred....wow! I am slippin'! The spacers are from him and they are aluminum. I am seeing some torque specs here, but I am thinking the specs on a DUALLY are 175 ft lbs on the rear. Right?

Jeff, pretty sure all the 9/16" & M14 studs are 140 lb-ft, I don't recall seeing anything as high as 175...
Thanks Devin!

I thought sure my helms manual said 175, I need to check that out and find out for sure. For some reason I thought the duallys were much higher than the 2500s.

Hahahaha, wow. Love it... I am baffled, that pic I posted is taken from a maintenance chart in the GM Electronic Parts Catalog.

FWIW, my tire shop uses 150-155 ft/lbs.

Any more confused?:)

Before I had a torque wrench I just went by feel.

Devin - Yeah, this is wierd, nothing like the manufacturer spreading different information about the same spec.

I am not concerned about getting the wheel tight, I just don't want to pull the studs through the aluminum spacers.

Check them periodically. The aluminum has a different expansion rate than the steel or cast. This could cause them to work loose as temperatures change.

Just wandering... On semi trucks where an aluminum wheel is outside a steel wheel we used plastic "gaskets" between them to keep electrolysis down since the second wheel is held on separately from the first. Do you have to do that with a spacer that mounts to the hub if it is a dissimilar metal to keep from eating away the aluminum?

Hmmm, interesting. I did not receive nor do I use plastic with my spacers. I haven't had any issues with them so far. BUt I don't run them year round.

I have two sets of wheels with 255/85/16s winter, and the other set with 235/85/16's for summer.

I think I am going to use the 140 ft lbs and then check them as suggested. I still think it's kinda interesting that there are two good sources with different specs.

Hmmm, interesting. I did not receive nor do I use plastic with my spacers. I haven't had any issues with them so far. BUt I don't run them year round.

I have two sets of wheels with 255/85/16s winter, and the other set with 235/85/16's for summer.

I think I am going to use the 140 ft lbs and then check them as suggested. I still think it's kinda interesting that there are two good sources with different specs.

:agreed: One thing to note, if you use any kind of lube or anti-seize on the threads you will apply a higher tensile load to the studs when torquing to your usual specification. Which in turn increases the clamping force exerted by the nut. I think you have the right idea, torque 'em and check 'em later.

Back