• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's YOUR opinion on splayed mains?

They've saved an awful lot of high powered Drag motors. Can't go wrong here either.

I'd do it. Only problem is see is it seems the rods might be weak point also now when pushing enough fuel to need splayed mains.

I use them on my SBC 400 motor. only way to handle any serious power in that weak block... I don't see much point to it using a cast crank though...

I'm all for it myslef if you can afford it and your block has the meat for it.

And moved to 6.5 performace as it seems more appropriate here than the regular 6.5 section.

Let me add a question for discussion. Which would be better and more feasible.....splayed or girdled? I have not tested this on racing gas engines either.

depends on the girdle. if it's just one of the store bought units then splayed is better IMO. if it's a full on girdle like the p400 than I think the girdle would be better

There are more arguments against a girdle than splayed.

Cost is the main problem with splayed. Girdles aren't made out of the same cast iron as the block so they won't expand at the same rate which could cause more stress than it stops.

Cost is the main problem with splayed. Girdles aren't made out of the same cast iron as the block so they won't expand at the same rate which could cause more stress than it stops.

Girdles just ensure all of the mains move together and can actually break more.

The only bad thing I see with splayed mains is cost. The structural improvements are proven

Back