• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What's the deal with the 2500s with 6 lug?

vegtech

WVO Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a k2500 extra cab short bed and I keep seeing these 2500s with 6 lugs whats up with that?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Heavy 1/2 7600 GVWR as opposed to 8600 GVWR HD 8 lugs. 6 lugs are typically 3.42-3.73 semi floaters w/ lighter duty 1500 front axle, the frames are likely 1500 frames, they have bigger brakes, stronger tbars, and thicker leafs.

In the front they have F44 brakes (standard on extended cabs anyway) and out back they 1 more leaf in the spring pack. The rear brakes are also much bigger. 16" rubber is standard on 2wd vs 15". Payload goes from 1800-1900 to 2800-2900 pounds. As far as I know the frames and front suspension are identical to there 1/2 ton cousins. I know a poser 3/4 ton.... and yes I have one!:hihi:

In the same vein does anyone know if the Diesel Suburban 2500 uses a different frame to the 1500?

Cheers
Nobby

In the same vein does anyone know if the Diesel Suburban 2500 uses a different frame to the 1500?

Cheers
Nobby

I compared my 95 2500 DIESEL BURBS frame to a 97 1500 DIESEL BURBS frame before, and from what I could see my 2500 was a good bit beefier and thicker in several places.

The Burbs were kind odd. They made an 8 lug 1500 with an Air Bag. My understanding to get the air bag the gvrw had to be below 8600. So they put 3.42s in the rear to (the gears lowered the gvrw), added an air bag, and I am pretty sure an egr (vin S). I have seen a couple of them for sale. Do not know if they made a "light duty", ie 6 lug 2500 3/4 Burb. Just like why did they never make a 4 door diesel Tahoe?

The Burbs were kind odd. They made an 8 lug 1500 with an Air Bag. My understanding to get the air bag the gvrw had to be below 8600. So they put 3.42s in the rear to (the gears lowered the gvrw), added an air bag, and I am pretty sure an egr (vin S). I have seen a couple of them for sale. Do not know if they made a "light duty", ie 6 lug 2500 3/4 Burb. Just like why did they never make a 4 door diesel Tahoe?

ALL diesel BURBS got F engines. GM is really confusing trying to figure them out. Just like you could get a 2500 6 lug light duty, but ordered with the snow plow prep package, heavy duty suspension, and the diesel. Never seen a 2500 BURB with 6 lugs, but not to say they didn't build one.

Heavy 1/2 7600 GVWR as opposed to 8600 GVWR HD 8 lugs. 6 lugs are typically 3.42-3.73 semi floaters w/ lighter duty 1500 front axle, the frames are likely 1500 frames, they have bigger brakes, stronger tbars, and thicker leafs.

The brake system difference is all the way to and including the hydro booster. Makes it "fun" to get parts as 2500 alone doesn't answer the question.
The heavy 2500 is for licensing in some states as a 3500 requires commercial plates here.
GM also made/makes a light 1/2 ton - as in NOT rated for a slide in camper. Like a 1993 with a 160 HP TBI V-6.

4 door diesel Tahoe?
GM could not make enough Yukons and Tahoes in the late 90's. You had to pay nearly full price and damn near know someone at a car dealer to buy one used in 1997. Let alone new... Simply put there wasn't any need for GM to certify a diesel in the 4 door configuration. Need would be CAFE, profits, and who cares what you want to buy. They are selling gas engine versions as fast as they can make them including a nasty strike that cost them the #1 truck sales figure although if they should combine GMC and Chevy numbers... The military did not need a 4 door with the HUMMER and imagine lots of the diesel production was going there.

The brake system difference is all the way to and including the hydro booster. Makes it "fun" to get parts as 2500 alone doesn't answer the question.
The heavy 2500 is for licensing in some states as a 3500 requires commercial plates here.
GM also made/makes a light 1/2 ton - as in NOT rated for a slide in camper. Like a 1993 with a 160 HP TBI V-6.

4 door diesel Tahoe?
GM could not make enough Yukons and Tahoes in the late 90's. You had to pay nearly full price and damn near know someone at a car dealer to buy one used in 1997. Let alone new... Simply put there wasn't any need for GM to certify a diesel in the 4 door configuration. Need would be CAFE, profits, and who cares what you want to buy. They are selling gas engine versions as fast as they can make them including a nasty strike that cost them the #1 truck sales figure although if they should combine GMC and Chevy numbers... The military did not need a 4 door with the HUMMER and imagine lots of the diesel production was going there.

GM never made a 4 door TAHOE with a 6.5L because the 4L80E wouldn't fit in a 4X4 configuration. The 4 door TAHOE uses shorter torsion bars than the 2 door TAHOE, SUBURBANS and pickups. Teh shorter torsion bars put the torsion bar crossmember forward to far to allow the 4L80E trans, and so no 6.5L diesel 4 door TAHOE. A few have done the swap, and said it was a pain to get teh 4L80E squeezed in with having to move the torsion bar cross member around and to try and get it to clear the fuel tank.

GM never made a 4 door TAHOE with a 6.5L because the 4L80E wouldn't fit in a 4X4 configuration. The 4 door TAHOE uses shorter torsion bars than the 2 door TAHOE, SUBURBANS and pickups. Teh shorter torsion bars put the torsion bar crossmember forward to far to allow the 4L80E trans, and so no 6.5L diesel 4 door TAHOE. A few have done the swap, and said it was a pain to get teh 4L80E squeezed in with having to move the torsion bar cross member around and to try and get it to clear the fuel tank.

X2

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Back