• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

WHAT'S THE BEST STAND ALONE TRANSMISSION CONTROLLER FOR A DS4 TO DB2 CONVERSION USEING A 4L80E TRANS?

I am also using the US Shift Quick 4......... I don't think I have had as good success as n8in8or, but it has lasted me 4-5 years now and about 40,000. I have struggled getting it set up perfect and still have a few quirks that bug me, but I would be willing to take most of the blame on that for probably not getting the perfect torque converter set up. I kinda wish I had gone with a stickshift...... but the US Shift unit is very capable and it is nice driving around town without a clutch, and being able to lend the Tahoe out to other people who don't know how to drive a stickshift........

Just us a GM 0411 PCM. Tune it with a tune for whatever crank sensor teeth you are using (i have a crank gear on my 6.2 from a 6.5, which is 4x) my PCM has a 00-01 van 5.7/4l80 tune, then we went in and turned off all the engine perimeters but crank sensor, TPS & CTS.
Took all the unnecessary wires from a factory harness and good to go. How I run my 4l80

Just us a GM 0411 PCM. Tune it with a tune for whatever crank sensor teeth you are using (i have a crank gear on my 6.2 from a 6.5, which is 4x) my PCM has a 00-01 van 5.7/4l80 tune, then we went in and turned off all the engine perimeters but crank sensor, TPS & CTS.
Took all the unnecessary wires from a factory harness and good to go. How I run my 4l80
Are you taking about a factory TCM or tuning a PCM by making it into a standalone just for the transmission? I would like to learn how that can be done on these older OBD1 trucks!

Are you taking about a factory TCM or tuning a PCM by making it into a standalone just for the transmission? I would like to learn how that can be done on these older OBD1 trucks!
Just a $30 junkyard ECM, 12200411 used from 99-02 on just about every Style of GM vehicle.

As I said, I used a 4x crank sprocket from a 6.5 along with the timing cover for the sensor. (You may can use the vacuum pump with vss sensor, but they are hard to find, mostly CA/high altitude engines)
Use the Throttle position sensor from a 91-93 mechanical pump 6.2/6.5, and I used the coolant temp sensor to control pressure when trans is cold.

Tune the 0411 with EFI Live or HP Tuners (find someone local) by loading the van 5.7/4l80 tune & turn off all the engine controls but CRK, TPS & CTS. You can run it without coolant temp sensor, but I run it so I it controls line pressure.

I took a harness from a 98 Chevy truck I had, used the trans wires, added the tps wires etc, and swapped to the 80 pin plugs.

By scrounging, I’m in my trans swap for about $200 not including transmission, I did my own cutting / welding mods to the driveshaft.

All this is in an 84 K10.

I have the truck apart at the moment painting the frame and doing body work, as it is about to go back to being my daily driver.

One note. I am still using my cable driven speedometer, so using both vss plugs on the side of the transmission, which doesn’t allow my trans to shift right in 4 low only. Works fine in everything else.

I do have a 90-91 electric speedo, but not sure if I want to convert me NP208 to vss instead of cable, or not. Could just source an 90-91 Suburban / Blazer case if you wanted everything to function 100% in 4L, but If I’m in 4L I’m creaping along anyways so not concerned about shifts

That’s some good info. Since mine is a 95 and has the programming for the 4l80 I’m tempted to try changing the perimeters on it to allow me to use the mechanical db2 and still allow shifting. But that will be much later down the road.

Still have lots to do yet. I have a file in my collection from a 92-93 Gm TCM I might be able to compare the tune with my ECM that’s currently in my truck. It would be a game changer for our older rigs to have the ability to simply swap the prom chip converting our trucks the mechanical db2 IP and still shift the tranny

@vr1967
Man that sounds way cool! Please do pictures and a write up about your truck as it goes back together.
Those of us that won’t use the details of how to make that work still enjoy a good truck build, and those that need the details would be helped a ton!

Folks that don’t know how to do the tune altering but want to learn would probably appreciate how to on YouTube (or similar) and a link as well.
Ya got a ton of knowledge some folks would really appreciate if you can.

Also remember the 91-93 4L80 had a different cleaning cycle than the later transmissions. If using a 91-93 TCM, it must use the early trans, but if using a later controller, the early trans can be updated with a few parts swapped.

Also look into the 94-95 step vans. I’ve found a few that had mechanical pump 6.5s and a stand alone 4L80 TCM. (For those that like to yard pick)

I’ll try to get pictures of everything when I get back on my truck.

Back