• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What tires do you run?

BFG Commercial T/A Traction.
A little noisey on road, but great snow and off road traction. I've got a little over 40k on them now, and they'll get replaced this fall with another set. Great snow plowing tire.

Toyo Open Country A/T, 245/75R16. Great in mud, and off road, Load range E, so they tow very well, handle excellent, look good and are quiet. The jury is still out on whether to put them back on again. What is the widest/tallest tire that can be fit on the factory aluminum 16 inch wheels w/o rubbing?

33" MTR Goodyears is all I could fit on my 03 6.0 2500HD 4X4 and I still had to trim the front valance a little and they rubbed when the going got a little rough. MTR is one badass tire tough.

Toyo Open Country A/T, 245/75R16. Great in mud, and off road, Load range E, so they tow very well, handle excellent, look good and are quiet. The jury is still out on whether to put them back on again. What is the widest/tallest tire that can be fit on the factory aluminum 16 inch wheels w/o rubbing?

I'm probably going to put the O.C. A/T on my truck when the stock V-Steels are gone, I like Toyos.

To answer your question (without a leveling kit), comfortably a 285/75R-16 will fit, and several people use it, I personally don't like that wide of a tire on the narrow wheel we have. If you went to an Toyo O.C. M/T OR Toyo M-55 Traction Radial you can get a 255/85R-16 which is a hair taller than the 285, but narrower. Myself I'd love to get my hands on a set of H2s by the time I need rubber, then I'd put 285/70R-17s on there and life would go on.:thumbsup:

Just got a new set..well 2 the other two are coming...LT 315/75/16 MT-762 Maxxis Bighorns....8 ply radial....they are awesome...haven't gotten them dirty yet though....they are stud readt and have siping....$234/tire...not bad...pics coming...they are very quiet also

Nitto Terra Grapplers are nice.....expensive though...but no doubt worth it...I was thinking about getting them but needed a little more agressive tire:rolleyes5::rolleyes5:can't help myself sometimes

There is alot of sand in our soil here on the creek, actually more sand then everything else combined. So I can't get too aggressive without going straight down. :D

Last edited:
There is alot of sand in our soil here on the creek, actually more sand then everything else combined. So I can't get too aggressive without going straight down. :D

I lived in louisiana for 3 years or so....that's what got me into the mudders...lol...anyway I hear ya about the sand....mudders are not the best tire for that...although the bighorn is not too bad in it....the grappler is probably the best sand all terrain I know about...very good sand reviews....in fact I may get a 37/13.50/ nitto after awhile as a second set...:thumbsup:

38x15.50/17 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips and this is my second set. They are quiet for such an aggressive treaded tire, very similar to the BFG MT as far as sound goes. Very good road manners and they are excellent in the rocks. I used the last set in Moab and at Disney, OK at was very pleased with the traction. I ran 20K on that set before I sold them to get larger ones and they only 1/4" of tread off. The only negative thing I can say about them is they are HEAVY, my 38's are 103 lbs without the wheel.

I am running the Cooper Discovery M/S right now in 265 flavor, best damn snow tire i have ever ran. Used to have the Hankook Dynapro MT's, very good traction but didnt wear very well.

315 Cooper ATR's on Duramax. 39 Irocks on the toyota, love them. have also run 39.5 boggers as it is set up now they did not work good on my truck. 38 tsl sx's with toyota axles, were good tires also.

I run 285 BFG ATs dont really off road, but we do see mud alot and they havent let me down yet.. would like to get my hands on a set of toyo mudders but i dont know how well they wear.

I will probably be going back to BFG AT's

Eveytime I buy anything else I get dissapointed.

I have Yokohama Geloandar A/t-S have 30,000 miles the inside of the tire is nearly bald and the outside has a bunch of tread left. These tire are useless in the Mud but they do good in the snow.

thats what i like about BFG ATs they go everywere.. mud,snow,dirt,dry road,wet road you name it.

315 Cooper ATR's on Duramax. 39 Irocks on the toyota, love them. have also run 39.5 boggers as it is set up now they did not work good on my truck. 38 tsl sx's with toyota axles, were good tires also.

Will never buy a different set of tires again. The coopers I have are indestructible.

Back