• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What precautions do I need to take...

Just let it idle for a little while before you put it to good use. The turbo does not spin that fast at idle. You can pre-lube it before you install it but, it will just drain down the drain tube. Most of it anyways! ):h

When I replaced my turbo, after everything was bolted up and ready to start (except for the oil line) I poured some oil in the hole where the line connects while spinning the compressor wheel by hand - wait until it won't take any more, connect the oil line and fire her up.

When I first bought my truck I had the turbo and valve cover off to replace the friggin plastic rocker retainer buttons and wanted to bust her off real quick as a N/A just to make sure that was the only thing that was causing her to run on 7 cylinders. I shoved a quart gatorade bottle on the intake and stuck the oil supply line in it figuring I needed to catch the oil for the 30 seconds of running the engine....man does that thing pump a lot of oil...and fast! After it cranked I immediately walk around the the front of the engine and the bottle was about 2 inches from overflowing. I ran back and shut it off....didn't even get a chance to check my repairs....
so, I say all this to tell you these things pump a lot of oil to the turbo bushings and they do it right now. So, trying what I did should be fine.
Others may have a better solution.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to get this thing fired up in the next day or so if all other chores get out of my way!

This turbo seems to have more play radially then would seem to be proper (which I don't really know) so I need to do all I can for it's longevity. I was going to take it apart and take some pictures for Turbo Doc's analysis, but I didn't.

Are these turbos difficult to rebuild? I see kits for $100-$125

Any special tools required? Any little known trade secrets? I read somewhere the nut on the turbine is LH thread, is that correct? If you didn't have that correct you could easily break the shaft, couldn't you? Is there a write up on rebuilding on the site? I might be crazy enough to give it a try some day.

Back