• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is this...?

HighSierra86

Reaction score
So ive got some material starting to show up in the bowl of my racor filter. Thoughts on this?

3a94611c-f5ed-4e54-aa70-dd8d65203b5c_zps8b4df459.jpg

Im thinking the tank lining has started to come apart. To the best of my knowlage this is the original tank to the truck (17 years old 125K miles) so it very well could be that time.

Last year I dropped the tank and replaced all the filler tubes and hoses along with the sending unit and all the fuel lines with multi-grade rubber hose.

Good thing there is a filter there!

-Nick

Could be something from the tank where you fueled up, lots of the newer under ground tanks are fiberglass/plastic.... could be something from the inground tank..

It does look like broken pieces of fibers and a bit too uniform looking to be tank flakes????? Maybe the sock material did you put on a new sock but thinking above post is good thought.

I would have figured the station should have had a filter for thier pumps too though ????

It does look like broken pieces of fibers and a bit too uniform looking to be tank flakes????? Maybe the sock material did you put on a new sock but thinking above post is good thought.

I would have figured the station should have had a filter for thier pumps too though ????

Most do have filters but they never get changed...and they are only a shell that looks like a filter, and I haul fuel for a living ( Spinx ), or I did until a stupid kid pulled in front of me and it didn't turn out very good, I'v been out for 15mos now so far...

Could be something from the tank where you fueled up, lots of the newer under ground tanks are fiberglass/plastic.... could be something from the inground tank..

We have an on-site concrete fuel tank that I use to re-fuel the truck. Maybe once or twice a year it gets fueled else where. I change the filters on our tank pump regularly too, so I dont see that as being an issue.

As for the sock....im sockless. Took it off after trying to narrow down some fuel pressure issues with my last walbro pump.

Im gonna have to drop the bowl and take a look. They almost look like little shards of aluminum but its hard to tell...

-Nick

never seen a concrete fuel tank. I'm assuming it's lined?

Yea definetly not a concrete tomb full of diesel. To clarify....Its a double wall 500gal steel tank with a 6" barrier of concrete around the ouside of it. Expensive son of a gun but it was required by town ordinance when we last upgraded our old tanks.

-Nick

Can you tell what the material is-plastic,fiberglass, etc. Not having the sock in let it ride form the tank, do you have a boroscope to look in the tank through filler neck? Some of the GM truck and van tanks I retrofitted were made of a composite plastic/ fiberglass material. Possibly when you were in the tank last time some inadvertant damage.

That is the lining of the factory fuel tank. Time for a new one before it clogs the fuel line or rusts through. I would drop some biocide in the system just to be sure as the bugs eat the lining off. Other than age failures that is.

I see a new tank in my future.......

Thought it was leroy that had the custom made sending unit FSU..but im not seeing it on his website? Sent him a PM so I shall see.

Thanks for the input guys!

-Nick

I see a new tank in my future.......

Thought it was leroy that had the custom made sending unit FSU..but im not seeing it on his website? Sent him a PM so I shall see.

Thanks for the input guys!

-Nick

It was him that had them, don't know if he has any left or not. I PM'd him about the one I have in mine now.

Is there anybody that makes a larger tank for our trucks?

Funny you ask....I've spent the last half an hour or so looking on line for exactly that. There are two places that make tanks for the newer trucks, but from what I can find, not much for oversized tanks for our trucks.

I found one place that looks to build custom tanks and aux tanks for where the spare tire would mount. The applications are a bit confusing and the prices are ridiculous. But this is the list.. http://www.nwmp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=6&Itemid=17

The tank on my 96' is big enough, 30 something gallons, but the tank in my 95 1500 could have used to be a lot bigger.

Nick

Funny you ask....I've spent the last half an hour or so looking on line for exactly that. There are two places that make tanks for the newer trucks, but from what I can find, not much for oversized tanks for our trucks.

I found one place that looks to build custom tanks and aux tanks for where the spare tire would mount. The applications are a bit confusing and the prices are ridiculous. But this is the list.. http://www.nwmp.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=6&Itemid=17

The tank on my 96' is big enough, 30 something gallons, but the tank in my 95 1500 could have used to be a lot bigger.

Nick

Thanks Nick but, I refuse to pay that much.

I guess I will stick with the factory replacement tank.

Back