• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What is the part called that bolts from the steering to the steering gear? It has the flex pad. Wh

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
What is the part called that bolts from the steering to the steering gear?

It has the flex pad.

What does it take to change that part?

Would it be the same part number for a 1996 K1500 6.5 diesel Suburban and a 1999 K1500 6.5 diesel Suburban?

Where is the best place for online parts schematics? Compnine no longer works for me or I am going about it wrong

Last edited:
I call it the rag joint, but some also call it a flex joint. Many people use a steering shaft from a 87-96 JEEP CHEROKEE to replace it. It uses an actual universal joint, and can be made to work rather easily. You replace the lower steering shaft with it.

EDIT: I just looked and ROCKAUTO has it for $16.57, LARES part 205. Looking at it though, I don't know how you would atatch it as it loks like it might need braised on or something. It comes with the lower steering shaft, but that's $165. The JEEP shaft can be had in most any junk yard for under $50, and all you need is a torch to break the glue loose in it to extend it out and put it in.

Last edited:
Mine went out in my 94 k2500 diesel. I replaced it with one from a 1992 k1500 gas. Yours should work both ways. Super easy to remove just two bolts and a small hammer to give it a light tap to slid it off of the steering column.

Mine went out in my 94 k2500 diesel. I replaced it with one from a 1992 k1500 gas. Yours should work both ways. Super easy to remove just two bolts and a small hammer to give it a light tap to slid it off of the steering column.

That's where I am now. I stripped the head on the top bolt.

Going to have to find one close. Any ideas?

I have the bolts out, but still have not figured out how to remove the shaft. It looks/feels like it slides up inside on the end that goes to the steering wheel.

It feels like I need to get room by either taking the steering box loose or the steering assembly. So I can either go up with it or move the steering box down enough to get things to come apart.

Everybody says it should slide apart but I must be missing something

I figured it out. My slip slider was not slip sliding. I had a 2' bar and just barely got things moving. If it was easy, I'd have my wife doing it. Or better yet my daughter. It's her Burb

Glad you got it working. It's the worst when sliders don't slide, slippers don't slip and canooders don't canooder. Let's us know how it works when you get it back together

Back