• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

what Diesel motor can I put in a F150?

Drago

Reaction score
What would be the easiest motor I can swap out with my 2008 F150 , has a 4.2 motor with auto now. My former GMC 1500 with a 6.5 was shoe horned in, didn't have the right tranny and front end . maybe there is a better fit for the f150

If you must put a Diesel in a half ton and just want an eco rig I'd run a 4bt or maybe a 6.9-7.3 will jump in but weight and economy are counter productive on a half ton ford with an idi.

IIRC, Kubota 3 & 4 cylinders are going into in Rangers. So if power is not an objective, that might prove worthwhile.

had to unload the 1500, tranny going, body rotting, exhaust rusting out, water pump leaking etc. a member here bought it for parts. you'r

If you're never worried about selling it and just HAVE to have a diesel, I would be looking at a MERCEDES OM606 turbo with a OM603 pump swap. They're good for around 180HP if you max the stock OM603 pump(or you can have the OM603 pump worked on, and go upwards of 400HP I believe on a stock bottom end), and can turn up to around 5200-5500 RPM's which makes them good gas engine swap candidates as they can work with most drivetrains geared for a gasser. The downside is the oil pan on them is pretty large because of how the pump is mounted to the front lower part of the block and driven by a chain. The downside is, if you ever decide to sell it, you could be in for a NIGHTMARE! It will not pass emissions ANYWHERE, and some states would actually come after you and make you make it emissions legal or make you buy it back but keep the truck to destroy it(YES, this HAS happened as it is against federal law to build a non emissions compliant truck. It is wether or not the state enforces the federal laws or not). Personnally I wouldn't even consider diesel swapping a truck that new as making the electrical in the truck work afterwards won't be the easiest of tasks, and if you want it to look clean and not just rigged in will be ALOT of custom work.

No near direct fit for the f150 it looks like, guess I'll have to trade this in later, much later

If you are madly in love with the truck except for the engine, then a transplant could be considered. But if the body, interior, suspension, handling are not your dream ride- dont waste your time. Just get some miles out of it and stay on top of resale value.

Back