• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

So you're going without A/C, or did you just move everything forward to put the CAC where the A/C was?

No AC. It was inoperable anyway, so I ditched it. I had already axed the dryer to make room for the HE351VE. Good thing there are 4 windows to roll down instead of 2. 🌬🌬🌬

Also, check out Surplus Center for 12V DC pusher and puller fans designed specifically for hydraulic/oil cooler applications in industrial/commercial use. They have multiple diameters and CFMs available. Major MFR brand name, very reasonable prices for what you're getting.

Also, check out Surplus Center for 12V DC pusher and puller fans designed specifically for hydraulic/oil cooler applications in industrial/commercial use. They have multiple diameters and CFMs available. Major MFR brand name, very reasonable prices for what you're getting.

I looked at the fans they had, I just need to measure what size will fit the cooler and order one, along with the wiring. I'm sure I could find a 6 AN fitting for the temp sensor to go in line with the hoses.

Just remember, use the temp sensor to control a relay for fan power, fuse the power lead to the fan and use at least one size larger gauge wire than needed for the fan's rated current draw to allow for surge when fan starts and to minimize voltage drop on the run to the fan. Also, use the same gauge for both power and ground.

Just remember, use the temp sensor to control a relay for fan power, fuse the power lead to the fan and use at least one size larger gauge wire than needed for the fan's rated current draw to allow for surge when fan starts and to minimize voltage drop on the run to the fan. Also, use the same gauge for both power and ground.

Wouldn't do it any other way.

Ordered a momentary PB today too to latch a relay for manual TCC lockup, maybe. It would unlatch when the brake pedal is pressed, just like cruise control. Still trying to decide if I want to chance it with a PWM lockup solenoid though, I hear it wreaks havoc in an OBDII system and could burn the solenoid with constant current.

Gotta play safety sally for a minute. Grew up riding/ driving around with windows down. Never thought anything of it.

hearing test showing some loss of hearing and the ringing in my left ear...after taking this wasoo refraction test I ask the hearing dr how I am doing. Doc says- “you always drive with window down huh?” “Yeah how’d ya know?” Yup you got it...
The air pressure from the wind destroys a certain range of frequencies and causes a specific version of tinnitus.

explosions have been by my right ear. Right handed so shooting rifle, pistol, etc is all worse on my right ear. But the damage most suffered by me and it turns out most males in the southwestern part of country is this. We have window down year round, year after year. But Dr said if a person drives above 35mph window down just 100 days a year, they are in track to get it. 55 mph wind is equal to a rock concert front row. Doesn’t seem it but it is.
There is a break over point. If you do not have ringing yet and you always drive with it rolled down- stop asap. Each step is progressively worse. When alone at least roll up your window and leave the others down so wind pressure isn’t direct. Or put in an ear bud or ear plug. This is non fixable.

ok. Safety meeting is over. Go fix a truck.

Gotta play safety sally for a minute. Grew up riding/ driving around with windows down. Never thought anything of it.

hearing test showing some loss of hearing and the ringing in my left ear...after taking this wasoo refraction test I ask the hearing dr how I am doing. Doc says- “you always drive with window down huh?” “Yeah how’d ya know?” Yup you got it...
The air pressure from the wind destroys a certain range of frequencies and causes a specific version of tinnitus.

explosions have been by my right ear. Right handed so shooting rifle, pistol, etc is all worse on my right ear. But the damage most suffered by me and it turns out most males in the southwestern part of country is this. We have window down year round, year after year. But Dr said if a person drives above 35mph window down just 100 days a year, they are in track to get it. 55 mph wind is equal to a rock concert front row. Doesn’t seem it but it is.
There is a break over point. If you do not have ringing yet and you always drive with it rolled down- stop asap. Each step is progressively worse. When alone at least roll up your window and leave the others down so wind pressure isn’t direct. Or put in an ear bud or ear plug. This is non fixable.

Wow, great info Will. I never knew all that about riding around with the window down causing that kind of damage. These fall days have been nice and I have been cruising the roads with the windows down, enjoying the crisp fall air. Summer time I mostly run the AC with the windows up.

As far as gunfire I have had my share of that without hearing protection. These days I always wear hearing protection if possible when target shooting. Heck I even wear ear plugs while mowing and running equipment. As a young man years ago I never wore ear plugs while mowing or running saws. Finally one day I thought that I might need to start saving my hearing.

Huh!! Perhaps that explains the ringing in my left ear..... Thanks for the info!

Ordered a Quadstar billet torque converter and GM style Champion aluminum radiator to replace the stock TCC and used Cummins radiator I suspect are burned and gummed up. I decided to go with the GM style radiator to keep from hacking up a new Dodge style radiator and immediately voiding a perfectly good warrantee. I'll mod the intercooler instead. The GM style radiator has an internal transmission cooler as well, so I will introduce that back in to the cooling circuit to help my transmission heat issues.

Ordered a Quadstar billet torque converter and GM style Champion aluminum radiator to replace the stock TCC and used Cummins radiator I suspect are burned and gummed up. I decided to go with the GM style radiator to keep from hacking up a new Dodge style radiator and immediately voiding a perfectly good warrantee. I'll mod the intercooler instead. The GM style radiator has an internal transmission cooler as well, so I will introduce that back in to the cooling circuit to help my transmission heat issues.
Send the radiator to twisted steel performance for that thermal coating stuff He applies.
Next month, I`ll be ordering a new radiator from Chris and having Him coat it.
I`m also thinking that a pipe threaded bung at the bottom of the radiator close to the output hose, then, installing a temp sensor in that bung. i could then have engine temp and also radiator return temp, just for why, I dont know but, just thinking it would be kind of interesting. LOL

More parts... this box is full of a bunch of fun, 63 mm compressor wheel and front exit housing for the HE351VE. In a heavy box under that is the Quadstar torque converter. In a bigger box next to those is a Champion aluminum 3 row radiator. Now to find the time for all this seriousness...
20201023_152904.jpg

Starting to get a part throttle surge and random puffs of black smoke out the tail pipe, thinking the PMD is on it's last leg. Ordered a new Flight Systems unit with relocation kit from Quadstar. Maybe it's time to let this truck go before it gets any worse...

Starting to get a part throttle surge and random puffs of black smoke out the tail pipe, thinking the PMD is on it's last leg. Ordered a new Flight Systems unit with relocation kit from Quadstar. Maybe it's time to let this truck go before it gets any worse...
No, it's time for a db2...

New relocated PMD didn't fix the surge or smoke. Could one of the new injectors have been bad? Or am I looking at replacing the IP?

Brudder, the symptoms you've been describing, despite all the parts you've thrown at it in denial hoping for a cure, still points to your IP being worn and headed on its way out. Surging is the biggest indicator. It will be really noticeable when using the cruise control at highway speeds on a longer, moderate slope downhill stretch as the IP won't be able to maintain a constant, stable speed from the ECM/PCM command. If the TCC begins locking/unlocking when doing that test, change out the IP BEFORE you barf a transmission in another few thousand miles.

I know this (unfortunately too late) from the failing IP in my Burb taking out my transmission from the repeated cycling of the TCC on every downhill stretch. It got so bad towards the end that the Burb would buck and lurch like a 25 cent riding horse in front of the grocery store as the IP would surge and the TCC was locking/unlocking in sync with the IP over accelerating/decelerating because of internal wear/sloppiness in response to minute change commands from the ECM.

Back