• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What could happen? Help

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
If I accidentally put Dex III in my dad's '06 that says to use Dex VI? I just changed his spin on filter yesterday and noticed that the dipstick said Dex VI only. On the bottle of fluid it said "Do Not" use in vehicles that use Dex VI. I had put about 3-4 quarts of Dex III in when I fixed the trans lines for him. My buddy had told me to pick up Dex III or IV because that's what his '05 asks for. Will there be a problem if I don't drain the fluid and put in Dex VI?

At the very least I would drain it and do Dex VI. Do it twice with 8 qts each time and a new spin on. Going to transynd is a plus...

Got this from my local Allison dealer last month....

W0RLDWIDE ALLIS0N TRANSMISSI0N C0MMUNICATI0N HOTLINE WATCH #409
January 2010
Page 1 of 1
SUBJECT Dexron@-Vl Automatic Transmission Fluid Recommendation Changes
MODELS AFFECTED: All Allison Transmission Products
Effective immediately, Dexron@-Vl automatic transmission fluid is no longer approved for any Allison Transmission,
lnc. product.
Allison Transmission, lnc. is removing Dexron@-Vl as an approved fluid for Allison Transmission products.
Only TES-295 and TES-389 fluids are approved for use in Allison Transmission On-Highway products.
Allison Transmission, lnc. will be revising its service information relating to the removal of Dexron@-Vl as an
approved transmission fluid.
For additional information, please contact your Allison Transmission sales representative or go to the Allison
Transmission web-site al www. allisontransmlsslo n. com.
EG/05083242/WA5892EN
Copyright 2010 Allison Transmission, lnc. All Rights Reserved.
TECHNICAL PUB P0. Box 89 lndianapolic, lndiana 48206

More than interesting... I say WTF!!!?

Hey Jeff (8100) what does your manual say since this is from Jan 2010?

I'm glad I drained the water thin Dex VI out of mine and flushed it with TranSynd right after I bought it.

Ill have to look Mike...

I could of swore Mike L told me Dex III is ok when I questioned him. I'll get the PM and double check.

Ill have to look Mike...

I could of swore Mike L told me Dex III is ok when I questioned him. I'll get the PM and double check.

I was gonna say that too.

IIRC, when you get the Trans Built, it's Recommended to Run Dex III.

I dunno if that's what my Builder put In, but within the next few Weeks, I'm gonna Drain, and Refill with RP Max ATF. That's what I Ran when the Trans was Stock, and never Limped it or anything, with all my Tuners Maxed Out.

So I Stand Behind that stuff.

Putting DEX3 in a truck that came with DEX6 is fine, doing teh opposite is a NO NO(this is directly from a post by Mike L at the place). And ALLISON never really approved of DEX6 as it has cost them quite a bit of money with failed trannies as DEX6 has quite a few UNDESIREABLE qualities to it. If it is stock flush it out and put TRANSYND back in it, if it is a built unit run DEX3 compatible.

Thanks Ferm, thought I heard it right from Mike.

Meanwhile, the guy that bought my truck put Transyd in it because Dex III was wrong according to HIS builder.. So we'll see how that plays out for him this season when he's racing it.

Didn't TranSynd meet the requirements of Dex III (when Dex III was still licenced) or am I hallucinating?

Last edited:
I ran transynd for the longest when it was stock...

after the first drain interval on my built trans I put Amsoil torq drive in...

you hear differing opinions on running transynd or other synthetics in a built trans...

My fluid looks fine with Amsoil torq drive after around 100 1/4 mile passes but I will probably change it out soon...

IIRC Mike L recommends a Citgo synthetic ATF...if I can find it local, I will maybe try that next time...

Wow, interesting thread. I changed to the Amsoil equivalent of the Dex VI and will probably short change it to their Transend equivalent.

I wonder about the DEX VI as GM says that is the atf to run and I would imagine they like the service work they get by recommending that product which is different from the manufacturer

Well I've ONLY run DEXVI in all 154k miles. It still lives. This pisses me off, however. Transynd (or Amsoil equiv) ain't cheap!

The Amsoil is the TES-295 equivalent of Dex VI. You should be OK Barry.

Amsoil makes three different transmission fluids.

Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid
( APPLICATIONS AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF is recommended for transmissions, hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

• GM DEXRON® III-H
• Ford MERCON® & MERCON V
• Chrysler ATF+4®

Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid (recommended for automatic transmissions and other applications requiring DEXRON® VI, MERCON® LV, SP or Toyota WS.

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is backward compatible and replaces DEXRON® III fluids in older GM automatic transmissions. (DEXRON® VI specification supersedes the obsolete DEXRON® III in GM vehicles.)

Torque-Drive® Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (Recommended for use in applications specifying Allison® TES-295 or C4, DEXRON® III, MERCON®, Voith G-1363, ZF® TE-ML 14C)

It is interesting to note that Amsoil recommends the Torque drive for 295 and Dex III

I used the Fuel efficient one and will use the Torque Drive next time. (It will a couple of years or more to get another 50 K mi on it.

Well I've ONLY run DEXVI in all 154k miles. It still lives. This pisses me off, however. Transynd (or Amsoil equiv) ain't cheap!

The Allison dealer near me had it for a reasonable price... $30/gal or $120 for a 5gal pail. I always bought the pail since it took almost 4 gallons to change with the deep pan. It left enough over to flush my power steering and for spin on changes.

I can remember buying a quart of GM Dex VI when I first serviced the truck in 2006 and it was almost $7.

Synthetic oils do have a downside of being too slick.

GM with their head up their behind on fluid recommendations again.
So you think you know better than your supplier on what to use for a oil?

3 revisions later GM finally came out with non synthetic oil that Eaton recommended for their supplied Trailblazer SS posi track rear ends. The synthetic oil would slip and burn out the posi clutches leaving black debris filled oil in the rear end. Lemon law and excessive warranty claims caused the changes...

So yes, sometimes you have to look at the MPG squeeze and figure out that the manufacturer doesn't have your best interests in mind.

Back