• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What are your biggest pet peeves when it comes to other motorists?

What are your biggest pet peeves when it comes to other motorists?

• Total voters
the highway patrol is about the only ones driving 10 under in the fast lane, but luckily they arent asses and if you give them room, and pass slowly, they dont care if you pass on the inside. I guess they want to be able to tear across the median if they get a hit, without needing to cross a lane of traffic.

illegal immigrants also bother me, but luckily we only have to deal with that in Idaho when we are out on harvest. dad has a friend their that was driving down the highway minding his own business, and wham, gets t-boned by an illegal coming down a perpendicular county road with a stop sign. he no comprende. after the wreck, the illegal climbs out of his car, looks around, shakes it off, and starts jogging across the field. no need for the cops to tell him he is illegal, he allready knows. just abandoned the scene, and his car.

around the same time, I am roading the combine down the highway to the next field. I am headed west, need to turn south, can see for about a half mile-3/4 mile ahead, and oncoming lane is clear, so 300 feet before the intersection, I move into the oncoming lane, and hug the south shoulder, leaving a clear lane for anyone behind me to pass. a pickup passes and continues on. I start to execute my left turn to go south, and some illegal gal in a dumpy grand am comes zooming past the left side of my header, barely missing me, launches off the roadbed, airbourne for a bit, comes down and jerks left, plowing through a fence of a yard , skidding to a stop on their lawn, missing the house. hops out, is on her phone, looks at the broken mirror, then takes off. no need for policia.

Most of the list plus other:
-Braking (hard) 3 miles before the traffic light or for traffic slowing way in front of you.
-Stopping to let others turn left across a multi-lane road when traffic, especially in the other lane, is moving.
-Put the phone down.
-Ever been at a 4-way stop on a motorcycle?
-It's called an acceleration lane for a reason, not a coast up to the travel lane then cut someone off and nail it lane.

One of the biggest issues we have here in the mixed rural and interstate area is the knuckle heads that don't have a clue how to merge into traffic from a ramp. I have had them get to the top, panic and slam on the brakes, or just go on out into traffic with out any effort to merge. The worst ones are those that will race around you as you are accelerating into traffic from the on ramp to get into the off ramp. They don't have the practical sense to realize I am going faster so if they fall in behind me I will be out of their way. One consistent theme is they were usually young or female or both. and the odds are also high they were of a minority race. Going by my life long observations. Back when the first cloverleaf was built in the area if you saw a license plate from the adjoining state you gave the bumpkins plenty of room :) Cause likely they only came to "town" once a year, and no I am not kidding.

1)going under posted speed limit, for mile
2)someone pulling out in front of me making me slam on my brakes, when I look behind me and there is no one behind me
3) drivers darting in front of me only to slam on their brakes

People that come right on your a$$ to pull out to pass and pull back in less than a vehicle length in front.

I checked other, because I see it as sort of an "All Of The Above (Plus)" choice.

• all of the above plus...
  • idiots who are on the acceleration lane behind you, then pull out and pass you in the lane you're trying to merge into
  • drivers who do not understand the concept of "Yield"
  • drivers who have no clue what to do at a traffic signal that's out, or the other idiots who think they can pretend it's not there then
  • people who can't stay in their lane on curves, particularly on two lane roads
  • drivers with tow mirrors extended when not towing anything (my truck is wide, and my mirrors can't fold in)
  • idiots who pull through to the next parking space, but leave their 27 lb., multi-ball, height adjustable, pintle combo tow hitch (that they bought to tow a jon boat and 100 lb trailer with, twice a year and never remove) sticking into your spot a foot.

Idiots who pull through to the next parking space, but leave their 27 lb., multi-ball, height adjustable, pintle combo tow hitch (that they bought to tow a jon boat and 100 lb trailer with, twice a year and never remove) sticking into your spot a foot.

Or the same idiots that park head in and leave that hitch to take out your shins. :cussing: Makes me want to pull out that hitch and toss it through their windshield. :rocketwhore:

you guys need glasses;)

Already got 'em. It don't help.

The worst was tearing up the front end on a rental car on one of those things. It was dark, raining, and the fwonking thing was painted all black. Ir was on an F-250 crew cab and was one of those 27lb. monsters I described. The truck by itself is long enough to not fit some parking spots, and he hadn't pulled all the way in to the one he was in. I was trying to park the rental in a spot on the opposite side of the lane, so I was far over on the right and never saw the damn thing until I got out to find out what the loud crunching noise was. I found out later, after the cops got there, that he had used it to tow a friend's boat six months previously and just left it on because it made the truck look "tough". Good thing the wife was the one who rented the car for work. She's a fed, and their insurance pretty much allows you to return the biggest chunks in a baggie and not worry about it.

I never took the ball mount out of my trucks. It kept them from getting damaged from being rear ended more than once.
The TDI daily driver has a dinky 1-1/4" hitch on it for my bike rack and I always leave the ball mount in that too.

I never took the ball mount out of my trucks. It kept them from getting damaged from being rear ended more than once.
The TDI daily driver has a dinky 1-1/4" hitch on it for my bike rack and I always leave the ball mount in that too.

If that extra 8-10" of iron sticking out from your truck is all it took to prevent you from taking any damage then two thoughts spring to mind:

1. The impact speed was so low you probably wouldn't have taken any damage anyway
  2. If you didn't have that 8-10" of extra iron back there you probably wouldn't have been hit to start with

And hey, it's perfectly legal for you to leave it there like that. But, just to be fair, if someone like me walks into the darn thing and gets hurt, it should be equally legal to return the favor to the driver's shins with a tire iron. Fair's fair. :D

:rant:I swear the next time I walk into a trailer hitch I am going to sue, and I am not one that goes there ever. But leaving in the hitch is so over the top "I don't give a shit about others" I think a few law suits and changed laws in is order. :cussing:And I am not one of those yelling "there ought to be a law" every time I get inconvenienced. :firedevil:

I'd take my 30k rated ball mount out if it wasn't rusted solid in there. (wonder how that happened...?:???:)

Or maybe I wouldn't...:D

I am amazed no one has mentioned my peeve: driving with hazards on, especially on the interstate, especially when you are moving with traffic.

???? What are you trying to communicate? Where are you going? How can I tell if you are going to turn? ???? Probably irks me because I was in the car with my sister when the guy driving with his hazards lost control of his vehicle with a broken front end and totaled us and 3 other vehicles. he thought it was ok to keep driving because "I had my hazards on".never mind the clunking sound and weird vibrations. It will still go 65...

trailer hitches? really? don't walk so close. I tow at least once a week. I leave the hitch in. I nail my shin on it too... but a law? really? good luck with that. although in this day and age there is no personal resposibility, so maybe!

I also love the one about people driving slower than the speed LIMIT... i know it is only a suggested speed... not at all legally enforceable, so I would be happy to drive OVER the limit... but I drive a 6.5... :) eggshells and 2,000 rpms baby!

Haha, I Love seeing People Smash their Legs into Trailer Hitches.

1. Why are you Walking so Close to the Truck?

2. OPEN YOUR DAMN EYES!

Leaving the Trailer Hitch In is the same as Carrying some Lumber in the Bed that Sticks Out Far. Look where you're Walking, and nobody will get Hurt.

I'd take my 30k rated ball mount out if it wasn't rusted solid in there. (wonder how that happened...?:???:)

Or maybe I wouldn't...:D
Up here other people will remove them for ye(the easy ones that is).
I keep mine in the cab,..they steal them outta the box as well.:mad2:

My bro is an hard learner,..he's on his fourth one.:agreed:

I see a new project for your brother Bison: how to connect a car battery to a trailer hitch (security and education). Sucks that is the way it is. I leave my keys in my truck and my house is always unlocked. I hate when I can't do that, it makes me sad. I would gladly share anything I have with anyone (and love to do the same!). Just ask! Bums me out when people have to steal something.

Took me a couple years of talking to the old guys in my neighborhood to build the relationships, now they say it is like the old days again: every one watches out for each other and knows each other. And the tiller sits down in the field by the gardens. And my end of the 3 acre field/pasture/meadow got mowed today. I have been working too much and have not gotten to it. They know when I come and go and know we have a 6 month old baby. I love that feeling.

Stealing sucks.

Driving with hazards on is required if you're going 15 (or more) under the posted speed from what I've been told. Not pulling over and calling for a tow when your front end starts falling apart is just criminal stupidity.

And yeah, if you tow frequently (weekly or more) then leaving the hitch in makes sense. It's the ones who tow once or twice a year and leave it in that irk me. You know the ones I mean, with the dry, uniformly rusty ball that obviously hasn't seen a trailer in a very long time. I've heard in the past that some states have laws against it, but I've never been able to actually confirm any of those reports with an actual, on the books and verifiable, law.

Back