• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Walbro FRC 10

My guessing is, after the lift pump.
I have one of those simple steel housing inline fuel filters before the lift pump. I believe that would do a better job than the sock screen that used to be in the fuel tank.

Went out and checked again and really the closest place I can place the filter that would have enough room to spin the filter off is between the cross member for the torsion bars and the Frame cross member behind it. This would be located before the lift pump, but I can bring hose back from the lift pump to the filter and then run hose forward to the forward hard line.

Fuel filter would be configured like this:

660EEA42-C8E7-4454-9637-16FC0D1160A3.jpeg

Although I don't think the filter is that restrictive... it can clog. It takes more to clog the big filter than the screen though. You got more pressure to work with on the output of the pump vs. inlet.

I ran it from tank, no sock, lift pump with it's built in bowl screen, to a CAT water separator bolted to the body floor (bolts going through the body pan from under the rear seat) and then on to the FFM.

In other words pressurize the filters. The only part seeing a vacuum is the screen in the Walbro.

@Will L. is saying there needs to be something before the lift pump. IMO the built in screen is enough.

As noted the big filter may be better before the lift pump as it takes a lot to clog it. The bowl screen is a PIA to clean.

Yes, if there is a built in screen, it is enough. To save the lift pump. There should always be something to protect the lift pump.

Small debris like leaves that most people never understand how they got into their fuel tanks bet into the gas station tanks. And not all stations have filters on their pumps. So it gets into your tank. Also that stations that do have filters- those filters are just screens basically and are before their pump to protect it, not worried about protecting your rig.

Got this Walbro and filter installed today and……no fuel coming out the clear return line at the IP. In case you think the sock in the fuel tank is clogged, I got drenched in diesel when the line from the fuel tank was disconnected.

E83E13D0-D3AD-4E45-B74B-3B149F9C12C9.jpegDFF3F103-0DA1-4B8B-A646-BB4A921F5322.jpeg77881B5B-0640-4F48-B2D4-67D17D6EB460.jpeg

Thinking I should get the truck into the shed and see about installing that big O’L fuel filter that I’ve had laying around here for a couple of years.

Open up the air bleed on the FFM and turn the lift pump on. This will let you know that fuel is getting pushed through the filter. If it's just dribbling out, gonna be a clog or kink in the fuel lines.

As for the plumbing route, most decent or better lift pumps will draw fuel through 1 filter assembly when mounted equal or below the tank. Closer to the tank the better of course but having the pump under the cab isn't the worst thing.

Ideally the plumbing goes tank-water separator-lift pump-final filter-injection pump. With a stock fuel tank the pickup screen should be removed so the lift pump is only drawing fuel through 1 filter. Yes there is a screen at the lift pump inlet just like there's one at the injection pump inlet, and there ideally is a filter before each pump for the same reason.

Had a walbro before with just the stock tank and FFM, recently upgraded. Plumbed tank-water separator-raptor 150-final filter-injection pump. Drained over 2 quarts of water from the last 40 gallons of fuel with this setup, not including what made it through the stock FFM before the swap.

20210801_210657.jpg

Back