• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Walbro FRC 10

Big T

Reaction score
Have this original Walbro FRC 10 purchased from Leroy. Also have the filter. Looking to install this on the ‘94 Suburban that it was intended for. Hoping this solves the non-flow of fuel through the IP.

Pic is of the pump and the fittings. Obviously those fittings are for the fuel hose and need another fitting into the pump. What do I need?

F1C2623D-6AB8-4503-9B88-2F4C684BF397.jpeg

Do I drill through the frame to Mount this thing?

Also does the fuel filter install before or after the pump?

I used one 1/4" grade 8 bolt to attached it to the frame with some washers. Do not forget the bowl has a screen in it. I forget what fittings I used.

Also Walbro re-tooled their factory and should have some new FRC-10's available in August.

What thread is the holes into the pump ? Pipe thread ?
Dont know what thread the hose adapter fittings are too.
Probably be easier to go to a parts store with the pump and get fittings that would go direct to hose, rather than try to nipple those fittings to the pump.
On My truck, there is an inline steel housing 3/8ths fuel filter installed pre LP and a short hose to connect the filter to the LP.

You need some kind of screen between tank and lift pump- factory one is ok, others remove it for a big spin on. Then this lift pump- then the FFM after the lift pump. You HAVE TO have a filter after lift pump before ip. Liftpumps wear and send debris downstream and kill ip without filter.

You need some kind of screen between tank and lift pump- factory one is ok, others remove it for a big spin on. Then this lift pump- then the FFM after the lift pump. You HAVE TO have a filter after lift pump before ip. Liftpumps wear and send debris downstream and kill ip without filter.

Will your confusing me.
1) The lift pump has a screen in it.
2) There is already an FFM between the lift pump and the IP.

I have the spin on filter and bracket from Leroy. I think most install it before the Lift Pump.

Ok yes. Spin on filter is a PRE filter, As in before lift pump. With this you cAn eliminate the in tank screen (aka sock) filter if you choose.

so Tank, spin on filter, lift pump, FFM, ip.

I confuse, therefore I am.

@Will L. The lift pump has a screen in it. I have plugged it with bug goo many times. See pic.

@Big T I just recalled: Those fittings go on the factory lines to convert to hose. See the fitting I have on the lift pump below.

frc-10.jpg

What thread is the holes into the pump ? Pipe thread ?
Dont know what thread the hose adapter fittings are too.
Probably be easier to go to a parts store with the pump and get fittings that would go direct to hose, rather than try to nipple those fittings to the pump.
On My truck, there is an inline steel housing 3/8ths fuel filter installed pre LP and a short hose to connect the filter to the LP.

I got two (2) 90-degree barbed fittings that thread into to the Walbro at NAPA. Question becomes what to do with the hard fuel pipes/lines going into the OEM pump? Do I cut them and put hose on them?

About running a filter upstream of the LP. Yes. Been there without. Don't install the filter anywhere other than upstream of the pump. Nuf-said.

As part of the install, consider sacrificing some sort of rubber-ish material and sandwich it between the pump and rail. Shop that did my install cut up an old garden hose. Unless construction techniques changed since when I last used a FRC-10, it is a loud pump and audible over the motor when at idle. Putting some sort of insulation in place will limit how much noise transmits through the frame.

Yes the fittings are to connect your 3/8” sae30r9 hose without cutting and modifying the metal line.

you already have the Walbro, i say run it till it dies.

If I was a famous movie star like you- I’d just buy the Fass set up, loose all he other nonsense and be done. It’s 100% blocked from water, and iirc you saw how nice water is to these injection pumps already.

Yes the fittings are to connect your 3/8” sae30r9 hose without cutting and modifying the metal line.

you already have the Walbro, i say run it till it dies.

If I was a famous movie star like you- I’d just buy the Fass set up, loose all he other nonsense and be done. It’s 100% blocked from water, and iirc you saw how nice water is to these injection pumps already.

Bro, I’m not movie star. I have a radio face and a horrible voice. I best stick to what I do and twisting wrenches in my spare time.

Thanks for that input on running the Walbro.

Don't install the filter anywhere other than upstream of the pump.

To clarify: do not remove the bowl screen because without a tank sock, well, that's why I posted that picture. The bugs kept clogging the screen so I removed it and ruined the pumps. I got a new armature for the FRB 5 but couldn't get one for the FRC 10.

So my water separator, should it go before the lift pump so that the fuel and water is sucked through it instead of pushed through it?

Im about to be putting a Cat filter and a Cat water separator on my truck. And at the same time drop the tank, remove the sock and install Leroy’s metrum rod that I got from Warwagon..

Was checking on mounting location for the pump and the pre-filter. I think the Walbro can be vertically mounted inside the frame rail. Hard line from the Walbro can be disconnected from a bracket and moved forward to create room.

2243085A-A8F7-4F95-81C2-06C354D5133B.jpeg

Hard line from the tank to the pre-filter really can’t be moved and there is not much room there between the frame and the torsion bar.

CDADAF92-9ADF-4135-8450-C4D477222BC7.jpeg
9DC455F4-EE5E-429D-B1E4-B26AE74ECAC4.jpeg

What have people done in the past?

I too have a filter that appears similar in size. This ine has a heater and water trap.
I would like to mount it pre lift pump but dont know how the suction would affect the operation of the filter.
One other thing is, i just cant seem to find a suitable place to install this filter where it would not hang below the frame rail.

3A1FE0AA-CF83-4662-AADD-59A831D96CC4.jpeg

Maybe in a corner of the truck box and install a compartment with a cover over it.
Then I’d have a clean place to store the fuel additives too.

So my water separator, should it go before the lift pump so that the fuel and water is sucked through it instead of pushed through it?

You only need a screen before the lift pump. They, esp electric, do not suck well so the water separator goes in after the lift pump.

My buddy has a 1979 Little Red Express that the PO put the filter in before the mechanical pump. Pulled the service manual as we couldn't even hand prime the pump at times. Put filter after mechanical fuel pump and no problems.

You only need a screen before the lift pump. They, esp electric, do not suck well so the water separator goes in after the lift pump.

My buddy has a 1979 Little Red Express that the PO put the filter in before the mechanical pump. Pulled the service manual as we couldn't even hand prime the pump at times. Put filter after mechanical fuel pump and no problems.

I am now confused. Will L. said install filter before the lift pump and now you are saying after the lift pump? So which is it? Please settle this boys as I'm planning to mount these soon.

Back