• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vortec 454 Rebuild options

There is not a factory oil cooler on this truck, how hard would it be to add? There is an ac pusher fan and trans cooler so there is not the same space a 6.5 has for the cooler to mount

Dang man. Don’t people understand- if it squishes out the outside, that means it is squishing to the inside. And if they don’t know how much to use- assemble and take apart to see what it did and adjust the quantity. Doesn’t seem like a hard concept to me...

Or better yet.... Buy a new seal kit so you aren't having to fill the gap from the original 150k mile 20yr old seal.

And what kind of so called professional uses that orange/red junk. Right stuff is cheap and easy to use.

I ended up inspecting my distributor and just going with a cap and rotor. The mechanic told me there was rust in the "distibutor". After I showed up to look he said it was just in the ports on the cap where the plug wires hooked up, he also showed me where the plug wire connection had been pulled on and off enough times to not have any seals or clips in 6 of the 8. The plugs weren't "fouled" but they were pretty dirty with alot of carbon for a 7k mile motor.

I actually ordered the marine cap and rotor kit, 8.5mm wires, and new plugs.
It's your engine/money, but there is no way in HE!! I would put a plastic distributor back in a new engine. Those things should be replaced with age because of the plastic getting brittle. Lost track of how many misfires I've seen on those from the cap screws coming loose because the plastic breaks.

It's your engine/money, but there is no way in HE!! I would put a plastic distributor back in a new engine. Those things should be replaced with age because of the plastic getting brittle. Lost track of how many misfires I've seen on those from the cap screws coming loose because the plastic breaks.

I am putting a marine cap and rotor on a distributor the shop had laying around, said it had been sitting a couple years with around 5k on it before the guy wanted an ls swap.

So as my other thread stated, I spun a bearing in my 97 454 vortec motor with low miles on a rebuild.

The crank has already been turned once, I assume I just need to replace it. Is there anything spcial about the vortec 454?

I found a 95 tbi 454 with 78k miles forsale, would that bottom end work with my vortec heads and a cam?
What you could do is take the heads off the vortex along with the tower and put them on the other 454 cause I just got done helping my dad with his 90 Chevy pu we had to get another motor for but we found a 05 vortex engine but it didn't have the tower and he couldn't afford a intake that would bolt to the vortex heads so we put his heads on and his intake for throddle body that way you know that you have all the right setting's for the wiring for truck oh don't change the cam or lifters in the 05 engine unless it needs to be done and make sure if it does get the same cam and lifters

Back