• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

Our tomatoes were doing great. But combination of weather and a certain tree has damaged some of them.. most of the tomatoes were/are in a raised bed along the side of the greenhouse. Here's the problem. There was a black walnut tree on other side of the greenhouse. About 8-10 inchs across the trunk. Stood about 30 foot high. ( Cut it down today) black walnut produces a toxin that kills things that go around it. The canopy on it was not very big but part of it over hung the greenhouse. When the heavy rain hit a week or so ago a lot of the leaves slid down the roof of the greenhouse into the tomatoes and the rain on the rest of the leaves washed the toxin off the leaves and down the roof of the greenhouse and into the tomatoes also on . Which damage them very badly left a lot of them with yellow leaves. We got all the leaves out of the beds and cut the tree down so it won't happen anymore. And call the yellow leaves out of the tomatoes. It's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow if it doesn't then tomorrow I will water them really good. Hoping to flush the toxin down through the soil and out of the boxes. Don't know if that will work but I don't have any other ideas on how to help them. Any advice would be appreciated if there's anything we can do to help save them.
Our Hungarian wax peppers are doing great and the green beans also and a lot of the other tomatoes planted in different location are also doing good.

Well this growing season was a disaster this is all I got from my 3 or 4 bell pepper plants... None of my corn was any good so about 25 corn cobs went to the animals... Black walnut tree messed up my tomatoes I got 3 pint hard full probably 2 or 3 when we are canning next and a bunch of hungarian wax pepper... Habanero pepper are trying but I don't think they will have enough time. I keep trying to find different recipes for the Hungarian wax peppers but I only find canning them and freezing them.
Anyone else have issues this year or just in NY?
20220921_031948.jpg20220921_031902.jpg20220921_031923.jpg

Beautiful pepper.
Can bring farm manure to mix with your soil. Will the neighbors be happy?
Put a greenhouse, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers grow well under the film. Did you plant the seeds directly into the ground, or did you grow the seedlings in the house first?

Beautiful pepper.
Put a greenhouse, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers grow well under the film. Did you plant the seeds directly into the ground, or did you grow the seedlings in the house first?
We actually got the plants from out local hardware store... we planted pepper plants from seeds but none of them made it so we bought some but some of the plants we bought died... The weather here has been terrible this year.

Well this growing season was a disaster this is all I got from my 3 or 4 bell pepper plants... None of my corn was any good so about 25 corn cobs went to the animals... Black walnut tree messed up my tomatoes I got 3 pint hard full probably 2 or 3 when we are canning next and a bunch of hungarian wax pepper... Habanero pepper are trying but I don't think they will have enough time. I keep trying to find different recipes for the Hungarian wax peppers but I only find canning them and freezing them.
Anyone else have issues this year or just in NY?
View attachment 76871View attachment 76869View attachment 76870
To bad you weren't closer. We'd hook you up with mater's and apples. Maybe some jalepenos and bells.
Our corn was a bust. Never got cultivated, sprayed or watered.

Beautiful pepper.
Sheep and rabbit poop seem to be the best.

Rabbit poop and sheep poop - they're fed pellets don't have much weed seed to battle

IMG_20220922_202209.jpg
Just a sampling of our garden. I believe the wife said there was 14 crates and 5 grocery bags full. Each crate weighs approximately 50 lbs. Wife bottled a dozen or so quart bottles of pickled beets from the garden as well.
Also not finished getting the carrots dug.

Back