• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

vacuum delete belt length for 95?

101-101.5" on 1994-1995. I think i have a 101.5".

Rule of thumb is ~1" shorter then stock length. Stock length for a 94-95 6.5L with AC is 102.5".

I think I had to use a 101.5 as well. Different guys have different results, mine was longer than a lot of other guys had to use but the shorter ones were too short.

I used a 101", but I had to loosen the alternator to get it over the pulley lip, then I put alternator bolt in and threaded with my fingers while holding the tensioner as looses as possible.

I think I had to use a 101.5 as well. Different guys have different results, mine was longer than a lot of other guys had to use but the shorter ones were too short.
Most likely the "other guys" you talk about have 96+ trucks. Those run a shorter belt stock anyways.

And Buddy, if you did all that wouldn't you think that the belt would be considered "to tight"?

Orignal length for a 1995 is 101" (with A/C or 102" without A/C) - referred to the parts list of summit racing. Bought one for mine and fits perfect (the same like buddy mentioned).

LINKS ARE JUST FOR REFERENCE (PLEASE DELETE IF NOT ALLOWED)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/G...Make|CHEVROLET|Model|K2500+PICKUP&prefilter=1

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/G...Make|CHEVROLET|Model|K2500+PICKUP&prefilter=1

So if you delete the vac pump, the belt should be about 1 inch shorter than before !

960228TC01-023.gif

Cu,
Sven

Orignal length for a 1995 is 101" (with A/C or 102" without A/C) - referred to the parts list of summit racing. Bought one for mine and fits perfect (the same like buddy mentioned).

So if you delete the vac pump, the belt should be about 1 inch shorter than before !

Cu,
Sven

Original length for a 6.5 (1994-1995) is either 102.5" or 102", I believe mine was 102.5". The links you gave from summit don't accurately describe the 6.5. It gave the years for the belts from 1992-2000 which is inaccurate because we know that 94-95 belt lengths differ from 96+ and I'm not sure about 92-93 because we don't do vac pump deletes on there for a reason of them not having one... The belt lengths that were linked to Summit seem like that of the 96+ trucks.

@ Green Machine :

No, I didnt ! Go to the Summit Homepage and start searching for a serpentine belt for a 1995 Chevy K2500 Pickup. The result of the search with modelyear will give you those two belts. One with and the other without A/C. 101" and 102". Could be possible, that the belt will fit other years also, but that wasnt the his question. He look for a 1995 belt. My truck is a 1995 model also and as the shop replaced the belt, they put a 102" belt in. THAT one was much too long. I looked up summit HP and found out the the 101" is the correct length for this modelyear. Bought one, installed, it fitted a bit tight, but it fitted and after around 15.000 kilometers the belt tensioner is still in the top/new belt range.
You may right, that the later model year (especially after changing the alternator and A/C location) the belt length was need a bit longer.

Cu,
Sven

@ Green Machine :

No, I didnt ! Go to the Summit Homepage and start searching for a serpentine belt for a 1995 Chevy K2500 Pickup. The result of the search with modelyear will give you those two belts. One with and the other without A/C. 101" and 102". Could be possible, that the belt will fit other years also, but that wasnt the his question. He look for a 1995 belt. My truck is a 1995 model also and as the shop replaced the belt, they put a 102" belt in. THAT one was much too long. I looked up summit HP and found out the the 101" is the correct length for this modelyear. Bought one, installed, it fitted a bit tight, but it fitted and after around 15.000 kilometers the belt tensioner is still in the top/new belt range.
You may right, that the later model year (especially after changing the alternator and A/C location) the belt length was need a bit longer.

Cu,
Sven
Maybe we are mis-communicating?

Does your truck have a vacuum pump on it?

What I'm getting at is that you are saying stock length belt for a '94-'95 that has AC is 101". I don't see that happening on a truck that has the same belt routing like i have.

What I'm saying is the belt routing attached to this post... the sizes "should" be as follows.

With Vacuum Pump, With AC, 1994-1995 6.5L Diesel
102" - 102.5" Length Belt.

Then without vacuum pump
101" - 101.5" Length Belt

Like I said... Here's Summit's description
Summit said:
Universal: No
Make: CHEVROLET
Model: K2500 PICKUP
Beginning Year: 1992
Ending Year: 2000
Engine Type: V8Liter 6.5CID 395
Engine Size: 6.5L/395
Engine Family: Chevy diesel
Belt Fitment: With A/C

1992-2000. That is wrong as 94-95 belt lengths are LONGER then 1996-2000+ belt lengths.

Attachments

• beltdiagram.JPG
    beltdiagram.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Maybe we are mis-communicating?

Perhaps, but I dont think so. Mine is a stock 1995 "S" engine with A/C and vac pump equipped. The 102" belt the shop installed was way too long and so I started the internet, go to summit page and start like this :

Search by model :
Year : 1995
Make : Chevrolet
Model : K2500 Pickup

LEFT SIDE :
Engine : 6.5L / 395cui.
Department : Engine & Components
Part Type : Accessory Belts

RESULT ? TWO - 101" (with A/C) and 102" (without)

That's the only thing I know and what I said, but I will believe, that some other resources will say something different. Why ? I dont know. So maybe, we're both right ?:thumbsup:

Cu,
Sven

If you look at this factory belt diagram, it shows both belts, with & without the vacuum pump. The belt with the vacuum pump is 2595mm (102.17") and the belt without is 2570mm (101.18"). I got my measurements from NAPA, who list a 101.63" for non vacuum pump belts. I would guess any belt from 101.18" to 101.63" would be in range of the tensioner. Having used several belts without the vacuum pump, I would think 101.18" would be on the tight side, I like the slightly longer belts. In any event, it looks like 1" shorter without the vacuum pump is about right.

reviving an old thread. My 95 has a CS-144 alt... I had to reshape the stock alt's brackets which made it sit higher. So...

is it safe to say I just need it an inch shorter than current when I yank the vac pump this Friday?

Steve generally 1" shorter works, mine takes a 99.5" belt now which fits very tight at 1st, almost won't go on, but with crappy rubber they are putting into belts now, I need to get as short as possible because they tend to stretch fast anymore.

Since you aren't sure get 1 & 1.5" shorter then take back the one you don't use

I'd think someone that could produce a matrix with the proper belt size for a given configuration through the years of the 6.5 could achieve sticky nirvana.

I'd think someone that could produce a matrix with the proper belt size for a given configuration through the years of the 6.5 could achieve sticky nirvana.

I don't think it would work Maj. too many variables, when I 1st started after removing vac pump years ago; 100" worked fine.

With new rubber sources on various brands I'm now running a 99.5", 101" was the GM specified one for mine, even when running the 101" & vac pump I started seeing ones that would stretch early on, way before worn out.

My last Goodyear Gatorback lasted 3 days even at 99.5" before it was squealing & stretched too long, I'll look at current one on it now to get the brand later; but it has been on since March and still in the "normal tension" window/range of the tensioner's marks yet it started at almost not fitting in the pulleys @ 99.5".

Also some oddities with replacement pulleys on alts, A/Cs, tensioners, etc.

Back