• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Used Banks Turbo kit value for the 6.2

grayblazer

Reaction score
A used Banks Turbo kit for the 6.2 recently popped up for sale within 30 minutes of me. I need advice on what a reasonable value for this is. It is advertised as being complete and in good shape (isn't that what all ads say?).

Advice on what I should look at with this kit....specific things that should be inspected? Also need to get a parts list for the original kit so I can make sure everything needed is there. I would hate to get stuck missing that one hard to find or expensive part.

How much? Earliy or late model manifold? Make sure manifold is not cracked, has all the plumbing to top hat and crossover pipe even if its rusted you can still take to a muff shop to replicate another one.

Original price was $1,200 and now asking $1,000. I think that is pretty high, or at least more than I would be willing to pay for it. Wanted to make an offer but wanted to at least be reasonable.
Not 100% sure what you mean by early or late model manifold. Are you talking body style as in the old square body vs. the IFS trucks? This is advertised as being removed from an '87 so square body and would be going on a '90 K5 that was still a square body.

Seems high to me. Early had turbo way out front by a/c. Late model looked more like 6.5 manifold and is not made any longer. I can get a brand new early manifold still. And have an ongoing build thread hear, search banks group buy.

$1000 for a complete kit isn't a bad deal. By the time you piece a 6.5 kit or make your own using a banks manifold. Also, if you have a/c, you can't use the 6.5 setup without a/c case modifications. If no a/c, then you could use the 6.5 setup and do it for less than $1000.

My K5 was an A/C equipped vehicle, though everything else is removed, so it would need modified for a 6.5 turbo setup to fit

if you didn't mind going ACless and changing the AC unit out you can use the 6.5 setup and if you shop should be able to do it for way less than 1k

In going from no turbo to turbo, and having a friend who has my same rig with a better turbo- spend a bit extra if you have to, and do the extra work if you have to, but get the best turbo you can put in there. You will be much happier long term.

You need to modify the HVAC case if you use the GM manifolds as the turbo hits the case, you need to either cut it out and re fiberglass or use the S10 cases.

I'd go Holset HX35/40 over the GM turbo anyday.

Gotta watch the crossover if you're running a 4x4 . Others have posted they are different than the 2WD and are no longer made .

I've kept an eye out for 6.5 turbo setups for awhile but haven't found any great deals, plus the work required to modify the A/C box. The A/C has been disabled for years but still would need to modify this area to keep the blower. I have a good exhaust guy so I'm sure the cross-over pipe could be handled but would obviously prefer a pre-made one.

And have an ongoing build thread hear, search banks group buy.

Here: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/banks-sidewinder-exhaust-manifold-group-buy.40875/

$1K is high to me unless I know the seller and get to see the motor it that ran it.

Unless the turbo has low miles on it and you can confirm the oil that went through it was clean (for a 6.2 / 6.5 anyway), I'd add the cost of a rebuild to the budget.

If you can wait, consider hanging out for Leroy's design which has a much shorter crossover than the Banks kit. Will not blame you for getting something prior to Leroy finishing that project as it is getting a little side-tracked . . . ;)

Crossover on a 4x4 Banks is not like the 6.5 or a van . I have a 2WD Banks and I would call that somewhat involved . Can it be custom made ? Sure , but it's not a " no biggie " .

Crossover on a 4x4 Banks is not like the 6.5 or a van . I have a 2WD Banks and I would call that somewhat involved . Can it be custom made ? Sure , but it's not a " no biggie " .

Any decent exhaust shop can make a crossover so yeah, no biggie.

Van's don't have a crossover.

Banks Van ? Very rare .

Me? Banks never did a van, no room for one unless you go factory center mount, make your own center mount or do what I did. Factory vans put the turbo at the back and feed it from each bank, then the exhaust exits out of the turbo so no crossover is needed. When Banks built his kits, the GM centermount setup was a twinkle in someone's eyes, :p

Very aware of the 6.5 and Duramax in the van , work on them every day . Read a couple posts elsewhere about a Banks in a van . The point is that a crossover might not be that easy to make depending on the owners fabrication skills . Factor in the hassle of getting the truck to a muffler shop and paying for some custom work that adds to the overall cost of a good deal .

Back