• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Upgrading Engine for better towing

I got the y bridge kit off of eBay and it was not the cheapest but close to it and that was a mistake because a lot of things didn't line up right. As you can see in the pictures the coolant line doesn't line up right and we had to put a dimple on it so that it would fit on other than that we would have had to take the whole system out and get another one and reinstall it and that was another thousand or $1,500 so we made this one work.15292.jpeg
15291.jpeg
It's funny weird how just 387 in can mess up a whole system. But as of 10:30 last night we got it going15301.jpeg

I am changing out the brake lines to Russell braided SS lines and flushing gthe brake fluid. Hopefully it will give me a better feel on the brakes. I had the two rear Nitto Tera grapplers seperate on me on the way home from my last trip. I wasn't aware that the cords had seperated and could have had a blowout but made it home. With my 14K lb 5th wheel I usually tow at 65 mph in 5th gear and it does very well. When this set of tires wear out I am going to a 20" rim so I can do the front brake upgrade to the RAM 14" rotors which gives a lot better braking on my truck.

I mentioned changing over to a Nictane Fuel Filter adapter to replace the factory setup.
Nictane

The factory unit does tend to leak and looking for better reliability this was it for me. Of course I have a FASS lift pump and therefore don't need a priming unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider changing your brake system over to DOT4 synthetic fluid when you get into it.Screenshot_20201122-114653_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I drove my truck last Friday and it is really really quiet unbelievable with all that junk gone. All I have yet to do is change the Amsoil adapter for the oil filter on the Block and put fresh hoses back to the door remote and the brakes and then I will be done with my truck hopefully for a while lol !

I had several friends all flushed out dot3 for dot5 some years back. I was dd my hummer which ran dot5 factory.
They all had to replace all rubber components by time it was done and they went back to dot3. The two aren’t compatible basically.

This leads me back to the question I had for them: why? If you are road racing or towing so heavy that you are overheating your brake fluid- you might focus on why it is getting that hot. The military chose dot 5 because when water gets in the system, it separates from the fluid and is easily purged. So AM General stayed with it until they added abs and couldn’t use it. The brakes on hummers came off AMC Eagle 4wd wagon. Even the 1.9:1 ratio of geared hubs isnt enough to offset the weight difference So yeah, hummer brakes are crappy. But until an abs hummer turns his rotors blue, the fluid is still not overheating.

The molecular composition of fully synthetic brake fluid is easier to generate leaks with- proven by the synthetic engine oil and transmission fluid leaks started which they later changed the seals and sealant for. The synthetic fluid isn’t going to increase braking power. It might extend sealmlife if the seals are the right type, or dramatically shorten them if wrong type. So to me thats a coin flip gamble. The biggest problem long term with any brake fluid other than dot5 is moisture. Just flush in new fluid every few years a d be done imo. I don’t understand how the change in fluid is advantageous. Keep in mind a worked for oil and fuel companies that dealt with both conventional and synthetics- so much if the hype goes no where on me. Metal to metal friction is where synthetic oils and fuels help. And since there is none of that in a brake fluid system...

Truck running great!! Lots of power and lower EGT's. Also new Stealth 64 Turbo manages EGT's very well at high loads. You can feel the Merchants motor mounts, they are really solid and you get a bit more engine vibration at idle but once moving they just feel solid. The Russell braided SS brake hoses give the brakes a very btight feel and I feel they arer well worth the $100 they cost plus installation.

I had several friends all flushed out dot3 for dot5 some years back. I was dd my hummer which ran dot5 factory.
They all had to replace all rubber components by time it was done and they went back to dot3. The two aren’t compatible basically.

This leads me back to the question I had for them: why? If you are road racing or towing so heavy that you are overheating your brake fluid- you might focus on why it is getting that hot. The military chose dot 5 because when water gets in the system, it separates from the fluid and is easily purged. So AM General stayed with it until they added abs and couldn’t use it. The brakes on hummers came off AMC Eagle 4wd wagon. Even the 1.9:1 ratio of geared hubs isnt enough to offset the weight difference So yeah, hummer brakes are crappy. But until an abs hummer turns his rotors blue, the fluid is still not overheating.

The molecular composition of fully synthetic brake fluid is easier to generate leaks with- proven by the synthetic engine oil and transmission fluid leaks started which they later changed the seals and sealant for. The synthetic fluid isn’t going to increase braking power. It might extend sealmlife if the seals are the right type, or dramatically shorten them if wrong type. So to me thats a coin flip gamble. The biggest problem long term with any brake fluid other than dot5 is moisture. Just flush in new fluid every few years a d be done imo. I don’t understand how the change in fluid is advantageous. Keep in mind a worked for oil and fuel companies that dealt with both conventional and synthetics- so much if the hype goes no where on me. Metal to metal friction is where synthetic oils and fuels help. And since there is none of that in a brake fluid system...

Temps and associated brake fade, in regards to dot 3 and 4 differences. Mercedes and others who did the original testing for dot 4 published their findings in that regard.

Essentially with the same mechanical components, the dot 4 fluid kept working and resulted in fewer brake fade issues than the dot 3 fluid.

4 will mix and work with unchanged systems that had dot 3. 5, as you mentioned, is entirely different and incompatible. Classic car builders use 5 sometimes because it isn't a paint stripper.

Wow, brake fluid can be a real science. I picked up a gallon of Brembo thought for and flush the whole system out changed out the flex hoses to braided stainless and it really tighten the system up. I'm very happy with the results. I couldn't believe how much give the rubber flex hoses had developed over the years and that a braided stainless hose has had no flex to him whatsoever or I guess you could say give to them. So I put Bilstein 5100 shocks and steering stabilizer on and the brakes upgrade and should be good to go for a while

Back