• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo to intake cooling.

The internal fins make way more sense.

Also - thanks for this discussion on aero-dynamics, haha. It's been nice. Even though we kind of got off topic from the OP.
Its all good. I like reading the different ideas, a lot that I never had thought of. The AC cooling charge system sounds interesting, and the electro units too.

Two years ago there was a truck at SEMA that had the a/c ran into the intake. It was a 6.7 cummins and they replaced the grid heater with an evaporator. It was an extremely clean install. I wish I would have taken a picture of it.

A/c condensors are very similar to radiators in that they can be custom built.

Think of how dense the evaporator is in your dash and How much air does the fan push vs a turbo. Now drawback is flow restriction, but the known advantages of colder air...
Even all the formula 1 cars that used to but a pile of dry ice in that huge intake for qualifying. I remember crew cheifs being asked about it vs aerodynamics and restricted air intake and they said the ice wins every time and they were trying to let them use it in the race.
Find how small a compressor could run it as a stand alone a/c unit... hmm.

interesting about those electrical cooling plates. I hadn’t thought about that, But you could line every part of your intake with those depending on cost. But I can’t imagine dollar for dollar it being better than a 2 coil system.

BIGGEST BANG for the $ for cooling air charge is 1000 psi water injection from RSR racing however it requires the use of distilled water and can be a PITA to maintain.

However the above mentioned system can be tuned and works so well that in a gasser you can actually advance the timing under conditions that normally require backing off timing and gain a substantial amount of torque and HP.

Two years ago there was a truck at SEMA that had the a/c ran into the intake. It was a 6.7 cummins and they replaced the grid heater with an evaporator. It was an extremely clean install. I wish I would have taken a picture of it.

Did I miss something? How does the evaporator help with ignition? Is the whole purpose of our glow plugs and heaters to dissipate humidity? I've never actually considered condensation/humidity to play into the startup of diesel motors - but I guess that would make sense to an extent. (If I'm thinking correctly)

BIGGEST BANG for the $ for cooling air charge is 1000 psi water injection from RSR racing however it requires the use of distilled water and can be a PITA to maintain.

However the above mentioned system can be tuned and works so well that in a gasser you can actually advance the timing under conditions that normally require backing off timing and gain a substantial amount of torque and HP.
My 1976 FLH Harley, running in a heavy mist on a cooler day, it was like bolting on another 10 horsepower on an engine that was already balanced and fairly well soooped up.

My 1976 FLH Harley, running in a heavy mist on a cooler day, it was like bolting on another 10 horsepower on an engine that was already balanced and fairly well soooped up.

I always thought it was the "perfect" temperature - but that does make a lot more sense! haha.

Get an oil mister or this oil mister, insulate the holding tank, fill it full of iced fluid, and plumb into the intake tube.

Last edited:
Did I miss something? How does the evaporator help with ignition? Is the whole purpose of our glow plugs and heaters to dissipate humidity? I've never actually considered condensation/humidity to play into the startup of diesel motors - but I guess that would make sense to an extent. (If I'm thinking correctly)

They are using the evaporator to cool the intake air temps to increase air density. Does nothing for helping it start. It was just an easy place to mount it on a 6.7 Cummins.

it isn’t for starting- starting you want a hot cylinder and hot air. The evaporators of the a/c system is the coil inside your cabin that takes the hot air out and blows the cold air to you. The purpose inside the engine is like a cold air charger to cool down the really hot air coming out of the turbo. The colder the air is the more condensed and you get more power/mpg from it. Better description would be like a water to air unit, but instead of water cooling the air it is the a/c refrigerant

I may be wrong on this note. I thinking the cooler air helps to slow combustion and gives the piston drive farther down the cylinder wall too ? ? ? ?

They are using the evaporator to cool the intake air temps to increase air density. Does nothing for helping it start. It was just an easy place to mount it on a 6.7 Cummins.

I just noticed that it was a show model truck - and not a production design change.

However, if they replaced the grid heater with the evaporator, what heated the block to help start it?

"Electronic cooling plates", I believe you are referring to Thermoelectic coolers (Peltier solid-state). The Co I work for has utilised these for decades. I repair many devices that use them.

Peltier devices/modules can achieve very high delta-T's, yet has extraordinarily low efficiency. Like on the order of 5-7%. If exchanging lots-O-BTU's is your goal, and you don't have spare Kilowatts/10's KW, Peltier probably is not the tech you want to use.

"Electronic cooling plates", I believe you are referring to Thermoelectic coolers (Peltier solid-state). The Co I work for has utilised these for decades. I repair many devices that use them.

Peltier devices/modules can achieve very high delta-T's, yet has extraordinarily low efficiency. Like on the order of 5-7%. If exchanging lots-O-BTU's is your goal, and you don't have spare Kilowatts/10's KW, Peltier probably is not the tech you want to use.
WOW! Had no clue they were that bad efficiency.
They are still high on the cool (as in neat) factor.

Yes they are cool. Not too many devices that small/thin can get screaming hot on one side and freezing cold on the other!

Talking about sidetracking a thread, check out the other solid state cooling tech for labs. Solid bar of indium (I think) mag-lev'ed in a alternating magnetic field. They get down to near 0 kalvin, for mass spectrometry, Etc.

Yep, it's Peltier, I see they are used in vehicle seats optioned w/cooling/heating.............

Back