• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Turbo rebuild, replace, upgrade

@SnowDrift I'll save you the headache and link to the 10 blade turbine unit.

It's at least my understanding that the HX35 turbine side takes a 70/60mm inducer/ exducer wheel, the unit Chris posted is most likely for a HX40 turbine side. I could be wrong though, happens constantly

I have the exact 35/40 that Chris posted with a 6 blade wheel and the aforementioned 10 blade unit. I have yet to run the truck though as I did a DB2 swap and front mount intercooler upgrade at the same time and the pump is not working right so I'm parallel parked for the time being

I would also like to do some real world testing as I was told a 16cm2 40 would spool up just as quickly as a 14cm2 35/40. If anyone has a link to a genuine HX40 I'd love to know where to source one should my wallet ever catch up with my wishlist 🙃

I would be interested in your intercooler setup, too

All credit for the setup goes to @Twisted Steel Performance, I just copied his instructions and used the lower brackets he was kind enough to send my way

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

1667268514122.jpeg

1667268548103.jpeg

Compressor clocked down for intercooler plumbing
1667268898757.jpeg

1667268944403.jpeg

1667268979740.jpeg

1667269005498.jpeg

1667269085982.jpeg

It's a tight fit, but it works!

1667269147034.jpeg

I've been meaning to do a separate thread on it, but here's the majority of how it all comes together

All credit for the setup goes to @Twisted Steel Performance, I just copied his instructions and used the lower brackets he was kind enough to send my way

View attachment 77469

View attachment 77470

View attachment 77471

View attachment 77472

View attachment 77473

View attachment 77474

View attachment 77475

View attachment 77476

View attachment 77477

View attachment 77478

I've been meaning to do a separate thread on it, but here's the majority of how it all comes together
This may be thread-jacking, but what exactly protects the intercooler from road debris and such? Might be just the angle of the pics but it looks like it’s nearly the lowest point on the truck, appears as though a snowbank or piece of tire tread or even a rabbit could end it’s useful existence quite quickly. Or am I missing something?

@J_dude the intercooler itself is a bar and plate design, which is a little more rugged than tube and fin types.

There is really nothing protecting the cooler from road debris, it is mounted in the same location as the skid plate. I do what I can do avoid driving the truck in winter to avoid salt & snow banks, and mostly drive on road towing or moving farm/ construction materials, so I'm not worried about road debris for the most part. I think the bar and plate design would withstand a rabbit no problem, and frankly is higher clearance wise than most road varmits.

It is possible to fit a Dodge 2nd gen intercooler into the core support, many have done it when doing a cummins swap. I've also read on cummins forums about folks swapping in a 7.3 Powerstroke intercooler as an upgrade. Prevailing knowledge in the 6.5 community says to avoid adding anything to the core support as the cooling stack is mediocre at best already. I personally am hoping one day to experiment with a CAC in the core support, either on my truck or future dump truck, both of which will have heads coated with thermal dispersants compliments of @Twisted Steel Performance . Probably a discussion best left to another thread; I'll leave it here by coming back to the original theme of the thread, that there are way better options/ upgrades than rebuilding the factory turbo, and while application/ intended use are important deciding factors, a Holset 35/40 with appropriate supporting mods (CAC, head studs, and cooling mods) is a tried and true upgrade

Here is the text body with it. The downside is that I run 285 tires and 4.10s, so maybe it isn't a good fit for me? I'm not opposed to an intercooler setup. DieselAmateur has a nice intercooler setup and I would just have to find a new home for my PMD. Maybe I'll lose it at the same time I do the I/C and go to a DB2.
1677240324307.png

Here is the text body with it. The downside is that I run 285 tires and 4.10s, so maybe it isn't a good fit for me? I'm not opposed to an intercooler setup. DieselAmateur has a nice intercooler setup and I would just have to find a new home for my PMD. Maybe I'll lose it at the same time I do the I/C and go to a DB2.
View attachment 79775
I think Peter took some leads from me and went with a 35/40 hybrid but I could be wrong... I ran one with a somewhat different blade choice and it was the best suited for that build, fast spooling and long winded, I also used a cooler along with water injection...

With the talk on turbos and such, it has been brought to my attention that this could be available in the near future. Is it a viable option for the right price or is a custom setup still going to be a better choice for what I'm wanting?
Article says it is NLA. It talks of putting together kits to maintain the 1000s of turbos they sold.

I think Peter took some leads from me and went with a 35/40 hybrid but I could be wrong... I ran one with a somewhat different blade choice and it was the best suited for that build, fast spooling and long winded, I also used a cooler along with water injection...
You had offered up a buffet of parts to build a hybrid. This one I showed might be available and I wanted to post information on it in the event it is close to the performance of what the parts would yield if I put my own together. I am planning on an eventual intercooler, regardless.

I ran this turbo on my rig for the past 4 years and it did everything I asked it to. I've only run the stock GM turbo and the current turbo being discussed, so I have nothing else to really compare it to but it is a massive upgrade over stock. I did swap it out this summer for the aforementioned 35/40, but truck has other issues keeping it off the road so I can't report back on the 35/40 just yet.

The description is correct that you'll see on average 14 psi or so, and it moves a lot more air than the puny GM turbo. Much lower EGTs, I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade from stock without wanting to add an intercooler. I saw as high as 21 PSI towing 10k with it, so it can definitely move a lot more air while keeping EGTs safe.

I ran this turbo on my rig for the past 4 years and it did everything I asked it to. I've only run the stock GM turbo and the current turbo being discussed, so I have nothing else to really compare it to but it is a massive upgrade over stock. I did swap it out this summer for the aforementioned 35/40, but truck has other issues keeping it off the road so I can't report back on the 35/40 just yet.

The description is correct that you'll see on average 14 psi or so, and it moves a lot more air than the puny GM turbo. Much lower EGTs, I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade from stock without wanting to add an intercooler. I saw as high as 21 PSI towing 10k with it, so it can definitely move a lot more air while keeping EGTs safe.
Would those pressures be safe for a high mileage stock engine ? as in, no head stud kit, ETC.

View attachment 77469

View attachment 77470

View attachment 77471

View attachment 77472

View attachment 77473

View attachment 77474

View attachment 77475

View attachment 77476

View attachment 77477

View attachment 77478

Geez that is some nasty rust.

Back