• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Tuner

I've got no dog in who you buy from. I've ridden in a truck buddy's tune was in and it was good, but I believe vendors pay for advertisement of themselves not competition,so I recommend Leroy when appropriate- that is now. Heath has good tunes. Kojo has the best of what I rode in.
My hummer gets no tune for disclosure. Old mechanical and stock tranny TCM.
Just so you know we all don't put down everyone to help Leroy.

I will warn you of 2 companies a1 and ssdiesel. Don't just walk or run away- do a friggin drive by with Mac11's LA gangster style. They ripped me off- and countless others. Hate them guys and would be happy to do a night in jail for punching their teeth down their throats. If you need more, I can quit sugar coating it and open the can...

Back on the civilized side, I love show and tell-post some pics and turn this into a build thread. What is you rig set up, turbo, etc?

The site vendors were already clearly recommended here. One site vendor is active in bringing new 6.5 products to life and keeping old ones alive like the timing gear set.

Further comment about Buddy so you get the full story. He showed the 6.5 world that OBDI 6.5 chip multi tunes were in fact possible, would help 6.5 members at a drop of a hat, and so far as I know is the only one that will tune the 1993 and older 4L80E transmission control ECM chips including the 3 tune trans chip that helped dial in the Yank stall on my 1993 DB2 mechanical injection truck. (The other option to that is an OptiShift.) The staff here have already ran him and some other very knowledgeable and helpful hobbyists off over this interpretation of 'let's cram business rules on a hobby'. Even the IRS can tell the difference between a business and a hobby!

Yes, Buddy went through the libraries and a lot of other sources and learned just like other dedicated tuners. Including overcoming 'you can't do that' mindsets that surround the 6.5 like larger turbos, camshafts, and he built a working multi tune switch on the fly 6.5 chip that others said couldn't be done. In a way this is another person keeping tuning options open for our antique and forgotten diesels.

Regardless Site vendors now sell both a good Turbo upgrade, ATT, and a well refined tune to go along with it. http://leroydiesel.com/product-category/turbo/ To unlock the real power of a 6.5 TD you need to get the small turbo off it that chokes the engine over 2200 RPM. A tune alone is not doing enough justice to what a 6.5 is really capable of. Unloaded a tune will get some SOTP improvement, but, loaded or towing the turbo is a complete roadblock.

See if some other members are in your area with a better turbo (several aside of the ATT to choose from BTW) on their 6.5 truck and drive it. The feeling of pulling HARD all the way to redline with a better turbo will help justify the $1000.00 turbo upgrade cost.

A 4" exhaust is the first thing needed before more fuel is added. I think it was as big of an improvement to my truck as any.

The site vendors were already clearly recommended here. One site vendor is active in bringing new 6.5 products to life and keeping old ones alive like the timing gear set.

Further comment about Buddy so you get the full story. He showed the 6.5 world that OBDI 6.5 chip multi tunes were in fact possible, would help 6.5 members at a drop of a hat, and so far as I know is the only one that will tune the 1993 and older 4L80E transmission control ECM chips including the 3 tune trans chip that helped dial in the Yank stall on my 1993 DB2 mechanical injection truck. (The other option to that is an OptiShift.) The staff here have already ran him and some other very knowledgeable and helpful hobbyists off over this interpretation of 'let's cram business rules on a hobby'. Even the IRS can tell the difference between a business and a hobby!

Yes, Buddy went through the libraries and a lot of other sources and learned just like other dedicated tuners. Including overcoming 'you can't do that' mindsets that surround the 6.5 like larger turbos, camshafts, and he built a working multi tune switch on the fly 6.5 chip that others said couldn't be done. In a way this is another person keeping tuning options open for our antique and forgotten diesels.

Regardless Site vendors now sell both a good Turbo upgrade, ATT, and a well refined tune to go along with it. http://leroydiesel.com/product-category/turbo/ To unlock the real power of a 6.5 TD you need to get the small turbo off it that chokes the engine over 2200 RPM. A tune alone is not doing enough justice to what a 6.5 is really capable of. Unloaded a tune will get some SOTP improvement, but, loaded or towing the turbo is a complete roadblock.

See if some other members are in your area with a better turbo (several aside of the ATT to choose from BTW) on their 6.5 truck and drive it. The feeling of pulling HARD all the way to redline with a better turbo will help justify the $1000.00 turbo upgrade cost.
You're also cherry picking how things went down. He was given NUMEROUS oportunities to follwo the site rules that apply to EVERY member who agrees to use this site. He decided those rules shouldn't apply to him, and his words on the matter(search it if you don't believe me) were until the site changed to his liking, he would not agree to be a vendor here. So if your going to tell a story, tell it all. And nobody has been "run off" as you put it. Members chose to leave because they didn't like being called out for what was going on, people decided to take sides in the matter, and yes it resulted in some members leaving. As to the 91-93 TCM chips, others have done them, but I'm not aware of anybody else doing them commercially because it is such a small niche market. And his prices were FAR from hobbyist prices from the PM's that others forwarded to me. He HAD to have been making a profit at those prices.

Yes, no steaky. Ssdiesel sells some stuff thats ok, but in general steer clear of him as well. Site vendors tend to sell good stuff, and I know we've had some problems on the past with stuff from vendors, and they've always stepped up and made it right. Everybody is going to have problems at some point, its how they handle things after the sale that matters.

Here we go again...

A1 Customs - 'Steaksauce'. At best, it won't work. At worst, you'll hurt your truck.
SS Diesel - you will pay too much for stock parts, minimal gain, poor warranty
Heath Diesel - Top notch stuff, high expertise, top prices.
Kennedy Diesel - like Heath - lots of good stuff, nothing cheap.
LeroyDiesel - Fair, good prices, great warranty. Good stuff, lots of it is unique. Site vendor, solid on follow-up with members.
KOJO - Tuner, European; does great OBDII tunes and OBDI chips. Does Multi-tunes - and FYI, he is the guy Buddy 'stole' the information from to make those, so any thought about him being an altruist should be gone. Good warranty, fair prices, hard to reach.
Buddy. Tunes might be OK, but I Dont Trust him. He was charging just as much as Heath, flying under the radar here, pretending to be following the rules, and some of his friends were encouraging sales on the side. The kind of guy who would bring a cooler full of beer into a bar and sell it to other patrons, undercutting the bartender, then wonder why the business wanted him to leave. And his friends, who received the cheap beer, all yelled at the bartender because he tried to enforce the rules...

I want you to get what you want, from a stand-up guy who will stick with you until you're satisfied, and will keep your transactions transparent and above the table. I want you to be able to talk about your experience without somebody (likely me) saying 'well, you wouldn't listen...'

The kind of guy you can trust. You fill in the blanks for yourself...

And that's all I got to say about that.

Only thing I will add, is buddy's "tunes" from the ones sent to me back when the diy chips craze hit were near mirror copies of heaths work. Only real difference was he was putting more fuel to it at part throttle so you got more smoke when you mashed the throttle. So not only was he lieing about selling stuff here, having members he had done chips for helping him sell his chips(and after all thats happened, I can't believe people STILL to this day help hom via backdoor sales through pm's), he was selling work FOR A GOOD PROFIT that was others. And I'm not the only one that knows it because I was asked to look when somebody else saw the similarities. When I called him out on it, all he had to say was I was a crook trying to profit from HIS work to resell it even though he knows fully good and well I don't own a 6.5l anymore, and don't sell products for them(in other words, he got caught, and had to deflect).

It's your choice who you do business with, but I don't believe in supporting a crook.

Last edited:
I liked Buddy in the beginning, he was always helpful to other members. I got one of his first multi tune (prototype).
He sold it to me for $425! IIRC. I remember thinking Wow thats full retail. It really hit me the wrong way when later I found out he was selling supposedly at the "hobby" price of $50 not making a profit but doing it for a hobby.
So what did you guys pay for yours?
Wasn't there a "Buddy fund" to pay for his vendor status too! Where did that money go?

Money pledged never collected for the "Buddy fund". It should be clear why.

Does Dennis, fellow who makes the ATT, do tunes? Maybe Leroy can get them if he does. His prototypes had some interesting results.

A few other tune places not mentioned... The important part for 6.5 tunes is who is working on them currently as there are some old stale tunes out there that have not kept up with the "New" thinking of larger turbos upgrades that are common today.

HA! LEROY! We traded products, you never "paid" me a dime. So who is the jerk? What do YOU make on your products, the markup that you charge me in that transaction? I traded you for retail price straight up. AND you have the gall to charge $399 for a tune that would take someone 15 minutes of work and then bitch about $425 for a custom chip I spend many hours to design custom PCBs, sourcing parts, and tuning 3 or more tunes. I personally spent hours soldering it togethers, how much time did you spend shipping stuff? So there you have it, $399 for one tune from Leroy and he bitches about $425 for a custom piece with multiple tunes. THAT about sums up the story. And Theferminator is the slimiest person I think I know, would never trust his opinion, completely biased. I never copied anyone's tunes, period, and this comes from the guy using pirated software to look at mine, Heaths and others tuning to make his own.

Money pledged never collected for the "Buddy fund". It should be clear why.

Does Dennis, fellow who makes the ATT, do tunes? Maybe Leroy can get them if he does. His prototypes had some interesting results.

A few other tune places not mentioned... The important part for 6.5 tunes is who is working on them currently as there are some old stale tunes out there that have not kept up with the "New" thinking of larger turbos upgrades that are common today.
Last paragraph is super important.. I saw a guy in Lethbridge not long ago who was really happy with the 'new' chip in his OBDI 1500s ... But his EGR readings were crazy high. I pulled the chip for a peek and under the "Zfactor" sticker was an old Hypertech chip!

Stock exhaust, stock turbo, stock air filter & snorkel intact. Add a Hypertech fuel chip and you get a bonfire.

We spent the afternoon sorting out details, pulling snorkels, etc then he went for exhaust. Haven't heard back from him, so he either blew it up or its all good.

Getting power out of these trucks is more than just one thing.

Last edited:
I have one of Dennis' ATT tunes, I got it through Leroy. I'm happy with it.

How did it compare to a tune from Lyndon, Leo? I forgot to put him in the list, and most of these guys use his def files

HA! LEROY! We traded products, you never "paid" me a dime. So who is the jerk? What do YOU make on your products, the markup that you charge me in that transaction? I traded you for retail price straight up. AND you have the gall to charge $399 for a tune that would take someone 15 minutes of work and then bitch about $425 for a custom chip I spend many hours to design custom PCBs, sourcing parts, and tuning 3 or more tunes. I personally spent hours soldering it togethers, how much time did you spend shipping stuff? So there you have it, $399 for one tune from Leroy and he bitches about $425 for a custom piece with multiple tunes. THAT about sums up the story. And Theferminator is the slimiest person I think I know, would never trust his opinion, completely biased. I never copied anyone's tunes, period, and this comes from the guy using pirated software to look at mine, Heaths and others tuning to make his own.
So one of your little boyfriends contacted you to stick your unwelcome nose in here again. If ever you openly insult another member again, especially a staff member of extreme respect as you just did to Ferman, you will NEVER be permitted on this forum again. And believe me, we couldn't care one bit if you take your cheerleaders with you. Consider this your only warning.

Well, and this is why I refused to be a vendor, the staff get to insult members left and right, and you refused to let us draft a list of moderator rules of engagement, since I thought perhaps moderators should perhaps act a little more professional.

Well, and this is why I refused to be a vendor, the staff get to insult members left and right, and you refused to let us draft a list of moderator rules of engagement, since I thought perhaps moderators should perhaps act a little more professional.

Uh, no. At the time, moderators approached you quite professionally and you came back at them like you had gilded poop. Several times, in fact.

We had several fairly intense engagements in the back room, checking with each other to make sure we were treating you 'fairly', and always erred on the side of 'members first'.

Which is why you are still here.

Tell me, what other forum lets an uppity member 'draft rules' for the moderators? Or lets a member continue to flaunt the rules of the forum by selling things through PM? Call up Jim ben Young - Steaksauce - and ask him if he gets to be a part of ANY forum... he was universally banned for acting exactly like you have, and is the one universally-hated member I've run across.

Trust me, you don't want to be like him.

However, our 'members first' policy is wearing thin and getting hard for you to hide behind. Actions that subvert the rules of the forum are not in the best interests of the members, the other vendors, or the moderators.

It's Spring, and the ice is thin, amigo. When the signs say 'stay off', I'd suggest you consider going along with that.

For you to call somebody else slimy is RICH. Unlike yourself, I have ALWAYS been on the up and up with people, gone out of my way to help people, not asked for ANYTHING in return, and do my best to follow through with what I say I'll do(unlike all your promises of sharing some .bin files when people started teh DIY OBD1 tuning thread, or to set the DURAMAX tuning world on fire with your expert advice you said you would offer, but never follwed through with once we put the tools in front of you). I don't go around demanding others to cater to me, or else I'll take my ball elsewhere. Yes I downloaded software that was available on the internet, just like thousands of others have for use with tunercat(just like YOU YOURSELF said you ALSO downloaded and used until you found the errors in it), theres even a forum dedicated to people who do this kind of work as a hobby. I didn't pirate squat, somebody else put it out there, and once it was discovered what it was, it was taken down. You're still mad because I called you out for copying a well known 6.5L vendor's work, so I'm the slimeball because YOU sold YOUR work to somebody else unlocked essentially making that product there's, and they in turn sent it to me to look at. After looking at it, it was quite easy to see the similarities between the 2 tunes. But I'm the slimeball because I was sent the files to look at them, but never did anything with them because I have ZERO use for them.

And as to your prices for a hobby. A hobby is where you get $10-20 to do something on top of your costs to cover consumables, and there is NO WAY you have $100 into the parts for your MPC, let alone the $400+ you have quoted several for one. A hobby is what I was offering to do here with gauge cluster work for members where I was going to do everything out in the open to make no money and the only money changing hands was going to cover consumables and parts, just to do it for fun(you know, A HOBBY!). I have hundreds of dollars in tools and equipment that I purchased to do it, but I don't expect others to pay for that since I was going to be doing it as a hobby.

WOW! I go to the Husker Spring Game this afternoon (72,995 attendance for the final spring practice) and come back to the forum to find that all hell has broken loose and the feces hits the rotating airfoil!

Back