• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck Makeover

I made a fitting for my fuel gauge. I bought a 1/4" female JIC swivel and brazed a 1/8" compression fitting to it. Now I need to install my Walbro, I only have 4 psi at idle.

I had done my upper ball joints and steering arm, idler arm awhile ago. I needed to do tie rods hubs and lower BJ's. Finally got it done. First is to soak things up with Acetone ATF 50/50 mix.
SAM_0005.jpg
I then removed the 4 bolts attaching the hub to the steering knuckle
SAM_0009.jpg
I cut the top off the rivets and ground them flat
SAM_0010.jpg
The rivets were drilled 2/3rds through and then knocked out with a BFG and a punch.
SAM_0011.jpg
With the hub extensions I had to use a broken shaft off my baler on the studs to knock them out, I set it on the stud and 2-3 hits with the hammer had them out.
SAM_0007.jpg
I pulled the new studs through the new hub and rotor before attaching the hub extension.
SAM_0008.jpg
New Moog problem solver ball jount in place
SAM_0014.jpg

SAM_0013.jpg
The CV joints were re-pact and new outer boots installed
SAM_0012.jpg
Lower BJ is set in place and the 4 bolts dropped in.
SAM_0015.jpg
Having already replaced the upper BJ I could just put the 4 bolts in it as well
SAM_0016.jpg
I have always been able to tighten the tie rods up by pushing them in the tapered hole or using a slip joint pliers, I had to build a jig to clap these tight to keep them from turning, must have been a snug lock nut.
SAM_0017.jpg

SAM_0018.jpg

Lookin good. I too, hate it when the taper lets go with those @&%*@ lock nuts.
I put the floor jack under the ball and put some pressure on it, 99 % of the time the taper stays put. If not then i put a deep socket over the nut and give the arm a wack with the hamer to seat the taper.

I tried the hammer on the inside tie rod end, but it wouldn't work for me.:WTF:

what outer boots did you use? I've been told by a friend who has a shop that the harder rubber boots last longer on the trucks and the soft ones last longer on the cars. doesn't make much sense to me

I used the soft rubber ones, I screwed up when I ordered them and got 4 outer's. The rubber ones seemed like they were better than the hard vinyl ones to me..Only 1 of the 4 was torn.

I've only had issues with one boot, PS outer. I dinged up the original destroying one of the 4 bolts on the hub. The one I replaced it with was soft and didn't last very long. the next one was harder but definetly not as hard as the original, not very many miles on it yet so we'll see. pretty good boot life for 270k

My PS outer was fine, the DS outer had a tear in it. AFAIK they were original. I've had the truck for 160k km. Ball joints were original.

My 93 inners and outers were the same boot. Found a raybestos replacement. Did all 4, time will tell on longevity.

Well, here is another bale deck that needs rebuilding. This is off the truck I used while rebuilding mine. I built this one in March of 98, a month before I built mine originally.

This is going on an 08 Duramax my brother picked up at a Ritchie Bros. auction.

I hauled it to the car wash in town, I hate working around dirt caked oil.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 30
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 26
The duals are next to useless in deep snow, I put some really aggressive mud tires on the back. I was good for about a week, then we got a couple more feet of snow.:nonod:

The last week we've had some nice weather and the snow has settled, I can use the truck part of the time.

I've been using the tractor and bale processor, the cows are a lot happier when the bales are rolled out as opposed to being shredded. The fine legume leaves turn to dust through the processor.

Back