• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck Down-No start Bad batteries?

The first time I used my load tester it smoked a bit as well, it's fine now.

Glad she starts now Mike.

CTEK ;)

It'll Turn Over so Fast when they are Fully Charged, you'll Think the Engine is gonna Jump out. :)

Glad you got her going, Mike! I guess we could have sent over one of the 6.5 guys to give you a jumpstart or a tow...

... we love doing that stuff! :hihi:

CTEK ;)

It'll Turn Over so Fast when they are Fully Charged, you'll Think the Engine is gonna Jump out. :)
So you're promoting this?:

CTEK.jpg

Or a similar model?

I do not fully understand what makes these at all different from all the other chargers that have been around for so many years.

Last edited:
Glad you got her going, Mike! I guess we could have sent over one of the 6.5 guys to give you a jumpstart or a tow...... we love doing that stuff! :hihi:

Hey Mike. It's a good thing that you posted a thread for our Duramax trucks. I can't remember hearing of any other issues from Duramax owners in a long while. Even though it was only for a battery. :rofl: :D

5 1/2 years is a long time for OEM batteries so I'm not complaining. Interesting that I didn't have a bunch of corrosion on the pass. side tray as alot of people have complained about. I did put the foam shroud back on that one but the other I didn't since it doesn't see the heat near as much.
I've heard of people taking the pass. side battery out to change the fuel filter. Must be a Chevy thing because that ain't easy on the GMC...

Speaking of that - what is the deal with the corrosion on in the passenger side tray? I just swapped my batteries from my 6.5 with the generic batteries in my D-max because the passenger side battery always had small amounts of acid bubbling out....and therefore corrosion in the tray.

Speaking of that - what is the deal with the corrosion on in the passenger side tray? I just swapped my batteries from my 6.5 with the generic batteries in my D-max because the passenger side battery always had small amounts of acid bubbling out....and therefore corrosion in the tray.
I think that must be a Southern thing from all the heat under the hood for so many months. Here we see occasional hot weather and it only lasts for a week at most. I saw just a little sign of corrosion and I was expecting to have to dump a 1/2 can of Coke on it for neutralizing but it wasn't needed. Pepp says it's real common down his way in Louisiana on the pass. side.

I'm using my 95's battery trays modified, and they are corroding now as well(made it 14 years without corroding, and now 2 years later they are pretty rough). I believe it is due to the fact that the ECM for the DURAMAX controls the alternator, and it will charge up around 14-5-14.8 volts pretty regularly.

The heat kills the passenger side battery sitting back there against the firewall. Mine leaked and made a mess twice in the 5 years I had it...there's still a rust spot in the driveway from the leaks.

I replaced the tray, neutralized the acid and coated any of the metal that it had gotten on with grease to keep it from rusting. Even had to pull the insulation back off the firewall to clean behind it since the acid ran everywhere.

There is a battery relocation kit available from GM with a bracket and cables that puts the passenger side batt along the frame rail.

Saratoga said:
There is a battery relocation kit available from GM with a bracket and cables that puts the passenger side batt along the frame rail.

I bet Bruce (racedaymechanic) would make a better kit for your trucks, if somebody were to take a Duramax to him so he could get measurements!

*Knock On Wood* Still on the originals on the 05, but it also has half the miles of Mike's truck.

IDK why people complain about changing the fuel filter on these. I don't have to remove anything to get at it. Although being 6'6" might have something to do with it...

IDK why people complain about changing the fuel filter on these. I don't have to remove anything to get at it. Although being 6'6" might have something to do with it...
Agreed Ed. All I did was bend the AC line about 1/2" same as on the '05 and put a couple of thick washers behind the filter housing. Oh yeah, a milk crate gets me up in your territory for height.:hihi:

You fellas should try a LML... It's even worse.. I changed mine for the first time last week and said a few choice words. Going in from the top on this truck isn't going to happen from what I can see. I'm not short either..

Yeah, there's a lot more crap packed in there.

I think the key is to get it only hand-tight. If you go over that, then you need a wrench to get it back off, and that's where the problem lies with clearance. My baseball mitt hands probably help too, lol. The hardest for me is getting the WIF connector off...

Back