• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Truck Down-No start Bad batteries?

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
No start this AM. Just clicking like a dead battery. Keeps resetting oil life monitor to 0%. Disconnected both batteries and am reading a bit over 12V on each. No codes.
Went through car wash yesterday and it was running fine. Been in the shop at around 40* minimum overnight. I noticed it was cranking a bit slow lately.

Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess batteries Mike. I would run them into a parts store and have them tested.

I put a 15A charger on and will see if it starts after while. If so, I'll have the guy here that sells Interstate get me a couple of new ones. I don't have a way to run them somewhere.

They should be able to hold 12.4v min and around 12.8 when charged. You may have one bad battery and the voltage you are reading is equalizing. The only way to know for sure is to disconnect them and then load test them separately.

Couple of Interstate Megatrons and off we go. I knew they were getting weak. Never ceases to amaze me that when a battery pukes, it just flat pukes.
$255 out the door for the pair. 800 CCA, 85 month. Oughta last as long as the Delcos

Batt 1-3-12.jpg Batt 1-3-12_1.jpg

Last edited:
In your climate Mike I'm sure it gets the best of them. When I sold my 06 it had the originals on it. But, I had a feeling they were getting weak.

5 1/2 years is a long time for OEM batteries so I'm not complaining. Interesting that I didn't have a bunch of corrosion on the pass. side tray as alot of people have complained about. I did put the foam shroud back on that one but the other I didn't since it doesn't see the heat near as much.
I've heard of people taking the pass. side battery out to change the fuel filter. Must be a Chevy thing because that ain't easy on the GMC...

Maybe you should invest in a CTEK. I got mine a few weeks back and it definitely "refreshed" my batteries. Trying it on every other battery I own as well. It would definitely keep those new ones topped off.

Load cell tester is a must nowadays where entire vehicle operation cars/trucks are so voltage dependent, 1st thing I grab now in a no start scenario is my load cell tester, $20 heating element load cell while not the bee all tester one can buy, is good enough to let you know a battery is dead or on it's last legs.

Load cell tester is a must nowadays where entire vehicle operation cars/trucks are so voltage dependent, 1st thing I grab now in a no start scenario is my load cell tester, $20 heating element load cell while not the bee all tester one can buy, is good enough to let you know a battery is dead or on it's last legs.

Hey, TD, are you referring to the battery load tester that could be bought from Harbor Freight or other such place? I bought one and the first battery I put on it and hit the test switch the tester started to smoke. Scared me as I think all electrical is voodoo stuff and put the tester into the back depths of my cabinets, not wanting to use it again.

It probably just had some oil on the heating coil.
My truck is 7 yrs old this month, still got the stock batteries in it, knock on wood.

Damn :eek: The truck sat outside all day in low 20s weather and it spun over WAY FAST! Over time, I guess you just get used to it sl o o o w i n g d o w n ...:sleepy:

Glad it was something simple Mike. I will not comment on battery life due to Murphy's Law.....:hihi:

Pulling the inner liner is way easier than pulling the battery for a filter change. Much better for the back also......

Hey, TD, are you referring to the battery load tester that could be bought from Harbor Freight or other such place? I bought one and the first battery I put on it and hit the test switch the tester started to smoke. Scared me as I think all electrical is voodoo stuff and put the tester into the back depths of my cabinets, not wanting to use it again.

The battery load testers have a heating coil in it to test the batteries. Usually the first time you use it, it will have that smell and smoke if something is on it. It will also get very hot.

I can't believe your OEM batts lasted that long. Mine went through 2 passenger side and 1 driver side batteries in the 5 years I had it. The pass side leaked because of the heat.

Back