• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Trans Cooling Upgrade

The OEM coolers and many of the replacements are (Dana) Long Tru-Cool coolers. They can be mounted with the fittings up, down or sideways. They are also made with several larger passages at the top to flow better when cold. You can read all about it here

The B&M coolers are the same as the DANA trucools. I have the same one that raceday put on, but in my app I am less than impressed with it. It is twice the size of the OEM cooler, but bearly dropped my temps. The EARLS coolers seem to work ALOT better and most with my set-up see a 20-30 degree drop, but costs 3 times as much as the B&M unit. The EARLS coolers look to be built just like teh SETRAB units that many racing outfits use.

I'm running an Earls 82510 now...it has 25 cooling rows measures 7.75 in. x 15.25 in. x 2 in.

dropped my temps 40*

you can get the 10an fittings from parker to adapt to 1/2 fem NPT

parker fitting 7/8 ORB to 1/2 NPT part # 10-1/2 F5OG-S

I bought a Derale remote setup similar to one in the picture, 3585_1_lg.jpg rated for 25K of cooling, with fan & thermostat switch to control fan, mounted under the bed, I did have to make a rock/mud guard out of some 1/16" perforated stainless sheet metal I had, 1st fan burned up when a rock got jammed up between the fan & cooler fins, that was 5 years ago. When towing and I enable the power to it, (most times I leave it switched off) it has yet to go over 200F towing 18K loads on 100+ days.

With fan off, just the airflow alone across the fins keep trans temps around 140-170F in the pan, I also have a PML deep trans pan aluminum sand cast finned for better heat xfer, capacity now is about 22 qts for system when filled.

I looked at a fan-less cooler in the grille but since cooling with those is dependent on airflow, I opted for one that has ability to move it's own air for times when flow across the grille would/could be marginal, plus the 6.5s "cooling stack" is flow challenged enough as it is, and adding more in front of the stack did not appeal to me.

Just a update on the this, we towed to Myrtle Beach last weekend 90+ degrees, Trans was 20-30 degrees cooler and even in traffic when the TC isnt locked it stayed below 190 and I could turn the fan on and watch the temp drop, If you tow this is a very good upgrade, I feel alot better about my trans now, I should add that I checked the Tru Cool cooler that is mounted upside down like the factory one with a Temp gun and it was consistant top to bottom, It is working well

Back