• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

tranny service

i can see that no matter what method you use its hard to get it all out,i'm wondering what kind of issue there is with adding a different oil, i would think that they won't mix,has anybody actually tried a different oil and noticed if there was a problem because of two different oils are now in your tranny,i thought this was going to be easy but now don't know what to do anymore

MANY people have switched from dex 3 or dex 6 to transynd with no issues. You want to get asmuch out as possible when going to a true synthetic like transynd to avoid oul breakdown in the future. Regular dino oil breaks down in 30-45k miles whereas a true synthetic like transynd can go for 150k miles since it requires no additives to reach it's viscosity. The more dino oil you have, the more it takes away from that 150k mile oil breakdown point. The oils will mix just fine, it just effects the synthetics long life by lowering it since the dino oil left will breakdown much quicker. The HOOT method works pretty dang good IMHO. Also if you do go to transynd, do not panic when itchanges color. They have yet to find a dye that will mix and hold up for the life of the oil, so it turns orange, then brown in about 30k miles.

On the dye, it is the same dye used to mark diesel fuel for off-road use only for taxes. The only reason it is put into tranny fluid is a law was passed because when fuel prices got high truckers were using tranny fluid as fuel. Unky Sam can't loose out on $, so the law was passed.

It is not an indicator of anything. It only took 1 time messing with that dye and I hated it ever since. Good way to stain everything you own. Takes weeks to fade from your skin.

The regular ATF dye doesn't work with the TES-295 fluid is the problem they have run into. It has something to do with the POA base stock they say. Unlike most oils out there, TRANSYND requires absolutely no additives to achieve the required viscosity. The base stock was chosen because it is naturally the correct viscosity. The engineer that came up with it posts on several of the DURAMAX, RV, and some HD truck boards talking about the stuff. It's a very strict formulation, and most oils claiming to be compaitible are not certified because they require additives and modifiers to get the correct viscosity and properties to be certified, and thus fail the certification since ALLISON requires it to be a pure base stock to meet the extended drain interval standards. I used QUATRASYN before which is also a pure synthetic fluid, and it's dye packet stays BRIGHT red over it's life. Stuff's HARD to find though.

since i used castrol dex 6 would you guys go to the castrol transyd or it really doesn't matter,its just a question its not cheaper ,no matter what i'm spending around $300.00 in our area

The important part is TES295 certification. I paid about $240 for the Delvac delivered

so i decided to go with the allison oil [transyd],nobody in my city had the fittings to do a flush so we dumped it ,drove it and redumped,its all ready to go ,i was happy when we check the filter, the pan was super clean ,there was no black film it was clean and the old oil was red .this oil change was done at 245,00km, we are ready to haul as i did my annual inspection sticker at the same time thanks for the help guys mike

Don't be alarmed when the TRANSYND turns orange, and then brown. It isn't hurt in any way, they just haven't found a dye that will work with the POA base stock and hold up.

Yeah if transynd is 100% synthetic the dye can't mix with it. A straight molecule chain cannot combine with a ball molecular chain. Most people refer to oil vs water... But synthetic water can't mix with regular water either.
That's why so many people freaked out over hybrid conventional/ synthetic engine oil. They don't mix at a molecular level. You can stir them up really good and add bonding agents and a catalyst, but given time the will separate.

Before someone reads that and freaks out, combination oil is fine to use, and usually better than straight conventional. It's just not as good as straight synthetic

Back