• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

TPS, normal to drift down?

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Not sure if I am moving the throttle back up after snapping it to a value or if this is a sensor going out. The quick up and down was movement looking for odd readings. Both voltages change indicating likely movement. (or a ground starting to float?)

Getting throttle surge in parking lots and very bumpy roads. I suspect it is throwing me around and amplified by the typical hypersensitive LLY throttle.

2005tps.jpg

Noticed this touchy pedal thing on a friends 05.. I dunno, but is there a TPS on these? Or is that another word for 'wired throttle pedal'? Maybe there's a bad/corroded connection.

APP TPS all the same to me... You get 100% throttle at about 1/3 pedal. Normal for LLY's. The rest of the way to the floor appears to only be used to reset oil life monitor.

Sounds like your APPS may be failing. First thing to do is check the wiring. Just had an LMM doing wierd throttle readings and it ended up just being poor APPS connections.

Resetting oil life is problematic - takes several tries to get it to reset. I pulled the plug on the APP and it looked clean, but I will clean it later. The other end I assume goes to the ECM?

Not sure on LLY, but LB7 has a plug under the hood drivers side bolted to the upper portion of the firewall, and then goes to the ECM.

APP TPS all the same to me... You get 100% throttle at about 1/3 pedal. Normal for LLY's. The rest of the way to the floor appears to only be used to reset oil life monitor.

no, not normal. And if you have floor mats, that may be your reset problem (as well as high idle set). It is common not see 100% voltage with mats under the pedal.

Your truck has demonstrated non-standard behavior (twitchy pedal) from the beginning. When I come up there, we should do a voltage evaluation of your TPS.

It is worth noting here, typical LLY TPS scaling is poor from the factory. The first 10% of throttle movement results in 30% of the TPS scale. It is especially non-linear in the area we rely on for smoothness. Hence the LLY has earned a reputation as a pothole scizophrenic. It can be compensated for in tuning. Commercial tuning never does, and they make the problem worse.

Back