• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time to unveil another product ( GLOW PLUG TOOL )

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I am very happy to release another new product. It is a glow plug (GP) removal tool.
I had some swollen tiped Glow plugs and could not find a tool to remove them, so finally had to remove the heads.
With this tool you can remove a swollen tiped GP very easy (the hard part is just getting to the GP)
I made it so you can get wrenches on it, but I found you can get them out by thightening the tool little by little by hand (great for the tight areas)
Made from 100% stainless steel. I only made up 20 of these and am offering them here first even before my own web site.

This will be one of those tools you must have for that job. I tried everything else I could without success. Then made this tool and it worked perfectly.
Lifetime warranty.
As long as you still have the hex part of your GP intact it will work. I have seen some post of others that were completely corroded away. This tool will not help in that case.

Selling at $75
Have a good weekend!

GP Tool
Glowplug tool 003.jpg
Slide tool over hex of GP
Glowplug tool 004.jpg
Thread outer over GP. Continue until GP is pulled.
Glowplug tool 005.jpg
attachment.php

Glowplug tool 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my question is, would you use it on the first attempt to remove the glowplug, making it a 'glowplug socket' ??

Looks great Leroy!!! Nice work you do!

Explain how this works please?

Matt, the inner piece slips over the glow plug then the outer threads onto the inner. eventually the outer body contacts the block and as you continue screwing it the glow plug is pulled out of the bore. The outer piece would cause the inner piece to clamp on tighter.

It would be used for glow plugs that could be unscrewed but the tip was swollen.

Last edited:
Matt, the inner piece slips over the glow plug then the outer threads onto the inner. eventually the outer body contacts the block and as you continue screwing it the glow plug is pulled out of the bore. The outer piece would cause the inner piece to clamp on tighter.

It would be used for glow plugs that could be unscrewed but the tip was swollen.

You guys are quick! Perfect explaination NVW.
I tried to show photos of the steps.

Just to add alittle: You unscrew the GP out of the head so threads are not engauged in head anymore. If at that point the GP wont come out you likely have swollen tip/s. So, with GP unthreaded slip the tool over the hex and thighten the outer sleeve over the inner with GP captured, contiune tightening outer while holding inner.
If you rock the tool back and forth and tighten little at a time the GP will pop out in no time.

This picture should have been #4 picture above. It shows the GP in the pulled position
Glowplug tool 007.jpg

Last edited:
That there is why this country is so great, yankee (lone-star) ingenuity at it's finest.

Thanks guys. Sold one!! 19 left.
I have atleast a couple other products coming out soon. You will like them (i hope)

If anyone wants to order the new GP tool just PM me with your email address and I will send an invoice from Paypal. I can take usps (only) money orders also

Let me tell you after being on the swollen 9G bandwagon it's not somewhere you want to be. I was lucky and got the GP out in one piece. Many others have not been so lucky.

Leroy i'll bet this works fantastic. It sure looks great. :thumbsup:

Looks like a slick tool. The glow plug you broke off could have come out the injector hole if it was just the heating element that broke off. Been there. Your tool would eliminate the pia of pulling the injector.

Not trying to rain on your parade but why wouldn't it break off the tip?

None of the tips broke off when I did mine, but there would be a chance it could. I would first take the chance with my tool. When I did mine (First time without the tool) I could not get a good enough pull to even break the tip, atleast then I could have gone through injector hole and cleaned it out. As a result I had to pull the heads off. If I had the GP tool they would have come out clean like mine did (second time) or broke off and had to clean the tip though injector hole. Atleast you don't have to pull the heads off. Thats worth the price right there.

This has happend twice to me, the second time is when I built the tool.
Also to be honest, when I could not pull the GP's out I thought maybe they were all carbon'ed up and had a bunch of crap holding them in there. So thats when I pulled the heads off. They were very clean just swollen. Knowing what I know now I could have saved days of work and $$$$ if I had a tool like this then.

I wish I could take credit for the design, but.......

I was in a repair shop that called me to look at a 6.5 for them (PMD problem). The old mechanic and I got to talking about things. I told him about my glow plug problem, he said he had an old tool that was not made anymore. He showed it to me and allowed me to copy it.
I improved on it some by making it out of stainless steel and modifiying it to be used on 12 volt GP's, his tool only worked on 24 volt GP's.

So, I get some credit, but not all of it.

OK, I'm in, I'll take one.

I bought my new injectors and glowplugs prior to learning not to buy the dreaded WAP. Cant remember where I bought them. Anyway, yeah, tips are swelled. I've got a set of Bosch Duraterms, changed the front one on DS, couldn't pull out the rest on DS. Been mulling over how to do it. I'll give a feedback/pics on how it works out!

Last edited:
Back