• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Time to unveil another product ( GLOW PLUG TOOL )

And to think I almost put those in my truck. I had 11g plugs in mine. 2 of them were burned out but none of them were swollen. Nice tool you have there, Burning Oil. I hope to never need one but know where to go if I do!

I wont be buying another set of WAP either. 60Gs have been good so far.
Sold six of the Glow plug tools so far anyone else? Get one before you need one!! Makes a great gift for the wife:D

Thanks to the Mod that edited my first post and added the picture #4 in the proper place.

Sold 5 more in Finland, still have a few left. Get one before you need it or you'll be kicking yourself.

I got my "Insta-heats" (WAPs?) out just in time as none were swollen to the point of sticking. Duraterms now or I'd be buying. Good looking tool though and thanks for being "innovative" then if you aren't the originator of the concept.

OK, 6/8 done, tool works great. Need to get the downpipe out of the way to complete the back 2 on PS.

But, riddle me this: All 4 on DS had swollen tips, so far the 2 I've changed on PS did NOT. I did verify current during WTS on those as well.:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN3253.jpg
    DSCN3253.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN3256.jpg
    DSCN3256.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 4
OK, 6/8 done, tool works great. Need to get the downpipe out of the way to complete the back 2 on PS.

But, riddle me this: All 4 on DS had swollen tips, so far the 2 I've changed on PS did NOT. I did verify current during WTS on those as well.:confused:

So, did you have to wrench them out? or could you turn the tool by hand to remove them? any of the tips break off on you? I love seeing something work well. Thanks for the post.
Turboman called me because he is having trouble getting his out. Not sure what the problem is but they are stuck good from what he reported.

All came out intact. I held the outer part of the socket by hand and just because it was easier/quicker, used my 18v Dewalt on the inner socket. My truck now starts without having to be plugged in :)

Turboman, will yours unthread and the tip is stuck, or will they not break loose?

The tool should do the trick if they will loosen.

Fastjohnny;
I was able to unscrew the GP, but the GP tool became too hard to turn with wrenches. I backed off so I wouldn't damage something. How did you get a Dewalt into the engine compartment to turn the 7/16" nut?

Fastjohnny;
I was able to unscrew the GP, but the GP tool became too hard to turn with wrenches. I backed off so I wouldn't damage something. How did you get a Dewalt into the engine compartment to turn the 7/16" nut?

I was using it throught the tire well, maybe 12" extension and a ujoint, worked great.

This concept sounds interesting. Did you have any that were really stuck good? Did you use any lubricant? Any other tips? Was this a standard 12" extension, or did you modify it in any way to adapt to your drill?

I'll get you a pic. I had no trouble taking out the WAP's using the tool. Let it be known, though, that I had previously broken a glow plug off flush with the head when I changed them before. That was a bugger. But I managed to get that out using every trick I know. What did the trick was left handed drill bits, step at a time, from 1/4 to 5/16 to 3/8. Last one caught and spun it out clean. I had punched the tip in to allow a pilot hole for drilling, and it came out clean, still with the plug. I was figuring I'd have to fish that out through the injector hole.

This concept sounds interesting. Did you have any that were really stuck good? Did you use any lubricant? Any other tips? Was this a standard 12" extension, or did you modify it in any way to adapt to your drill?

Were you able try another GP? I know when we spoke you had only tried one up to that point. If others come out then I am thinking the tip drooped and is causing more resistance, but you would think with that much pull on it the tip would break off. Atleast then you should be able to clean out the debris through injector hole.

Turboman, did the glowplug tool thread all the way up to the cylinder head? Just checking. Wondered if the glowplug hex head dropped out of its machined groove in the tool as you were tightening it up? That could cause the tool itself to bind.

Here's what I used: 18V 1/4" impact driver (It will take off most tire lugnuts!), 1/4 hex to 3/8 socket adapter, 2 6" extensions, 3/8 Ujoint, then 7/16 socket. 13/16 wrench to hold outer part of GP tool. Remove or push aside your splash sheilds on your inner fender.

Attachments

• DSCN3262.jpg
    DSCN3262.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 14
Here's what I used: 18V 1/4" impact driver (It will take off most tire lugnuts!), 1/4 hex to 3/8 socket adapter, 2 6" extensions, 3/8 Ujoint, then 7/16 socket. 13/16 wrench to hold outer part of GP tool. Remove or push aside your splash sheilds on your inner fender.

They don't call you fastjohnny for nothing!

As far as I can tell the GP tool was against the block on the #2 cylinder. The GP was still in the tool in the proper location when I backed off. I have not tried any other GPs as of yet. Do you have any advice for removing broken tips from the injector hole? What do you reach in with to remove the the broken tips from the cylinder? If I remove the injector do I need a new injector washer/gasket? Thanks for the picture of your driver and extension setup. The impact driver seems like a good idea and method of removal. I don't have a impact driver, but may have one in the very near future.

Try fabricating a hose or the tip of a funnel that will fit in the injector threads a ways, then step up in size with anything you have laying around to get it to the size of your shop vac. Famous duct tape helps here. Keep the hose, funnel, (whatever you use) connection joints tight. You can suck 16 penny nails with that----if they'll fit.

Back